• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Agent Maintenance

cefiroA33

Well there is one thing though. If the agents have done the servicing of the car you know only genuine filters, recommended grade of oil have gone into the car and things like the fuel filter, spark plugs, cabin filter etc have been changed on time.

Its sad to say but even the trusted service station I go to sometimes ignores my instructions and have used whatever filter they have available (I try to stick to OEM or Vic) and used a different grade of oil from the one I mentioned. Now these wasn't a big deal plus I noticed them and dependent on the situation corrected them, but a person not paying as much attention would never notice.

I hope all agents are not like the Ford agent then...

I have taken my Focus for 5 services (since I bought it B/N two years back). So far, the agent has used three different types of engine oils and two different brands of filters!!!

Yeah did that once. 300,000 worth of hype. Not bad. Aiming for a higher mark with this car. You know with the vtec kicking in and all..."

"Doctor owned Honda Integra Type R"

that'll sound like a fake ad! :D

Members,

All advertisements on newspapers TV and Radio are misleading people.

All of us have to take used vehicle as it is. Or buy a new vehicle with hopeful, Guarantee be fulfill by the agent.

Like operating a vehicle engine, without water, or engine oil. Whose responsibility for that?

Man proposes, God disposes. Sometimes our well calculated plan fails at the last moment.

Very well qualified Doctors treat patents. Patient can die even after best of treatment in a world’s best hospital.

I remember once I was called to courts to give evidence on used vehicle. Imported for a permit. L/C by the P/Holder.

Indent by one of our well known used vehicle importer, who gave a guarantee of six months.

The permit holder had wanted a vehicle with required specifications. Importer said L/C was opened by the P/H. Not by him.

It is not his responsibility, Shipper had shipped a vehicle not what the permit holder wanted. P/H used the car till the case was over.

Without any problem he looked after that very well. His mistake was he had not stipulated his requirements on the L/C.

I do not want to give lengthy (13 months, hearing case 6 times) proceedings of that case. Court decision was in favor of the importer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

hey Don,

you brought up something I wanted to know as well. Filters and oils ofcourse they check and replace with genuine ones and I dont see any issue with that. but apart from that the wheel balncing and wheel alignments, battery maintenance, spark plugs, electronics and other sensors and engine scan they do not perform on the service. We have to specifically ask for those things and its like sitting for an exam that you have to keep everything on your head when you take your vehicle to the service. Plus they dont keep records of the vehicle's previous maintenance (after the warranty period). Thats what makes me so distressed over the agents service.

Everytime I make sure to stand aside my vehicle while its been inspected and oils replaced and keep talking to the guys their regarding the faults they identify and write down in a paper. but they dont maintain those records. its just I have to keep them filed and sometimes the paper I get after the service it full of grease and oil and also scratched at times so its hard to keep them filed.

Kl**n P**k uses a book that they keep in the vehicle that records everything. Why cant the agent do the same?

hey Don,

you brought up something I wanted to know as well. Filters and oils ofcourse they check and replace with genuine ones and I dont see any issue with that. but apart from that the wheel balncing and wheel alignments, battery maintenance, spark plugs, electronics and other sensors and engine scan they do not perform on the service. We have to specifically ask for those things and its like sitting for an exam that you have to keep everything on your head when you take your vehicle to the service. Plus they dont keep records of the vehicle's previous maintenance (after the warranty period). Thats what makes me so distressed over the agents service.

Everytime I make sure to stand aside my vehicle while its been inspected and oils replaced and keep talking to the guys their regarding the faults they identify and write down in a paper. but they dont maintain those records. its just I have to keep them filed and sometimes the paper I get after the service it full of grease and oil and also scratched at times so its hard to keep them filed.

Kl**n P**k uses a book that they keep in the vehicle that records everything. Why cant the agent do the same?

Do you really expect the agent to do a wheel alignment check, battery check, electronics and sensor checks for every routine service? You have to realize such things costs time and resources. If they DO perform all these checks as part of a normal servicing, a normal service would take a day or so and cost a arm and a leg. Besides, with electronics and sensors, why try to fix it if it's not broken.

Weren't you soiling your jangi just a few days ago on how expensive agent related services are? Your husband is sure gonna have a hard time satisfying you!

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Watchman, I really don't like to disrespect people and bring them down. But I really think that you might have not seen an agents service checklist. I am not moderator or any authorized person to ask you to get over your attitude problems before solving mechanical problems.

Take a look at how others have contributed to the discussion and try to understand what CCTV cameras have done to you!!!

But for a once try to get a car and take it to the agents for the service and look at their checklist. have fun dude!!!

Edited by cefiroA33

Why I always go to the agent (Unit#d Mot#rs) is, they are the people who knows all about the particular vehicle model.

Why I stay there with my vehicle as much as possible, agent does not mean all workers do their jobs perfectly and smoothly. (as per my experience there)

However I must appreciate their quick warranty claims.

No agent does wheel alignment or balancing during routine service, even if it on some checklist.

And what do u mean by battery check and electronics check...? Hooking up to a scanner u mean? Lot of garages have scanners now and many garages will scn a regular customer's car for free.

To be honest, this is getting to be annoying. U asked a question, u got enough answers and now u r trying to prove the exact opposite of ur initial question. Ask questions, get answers and get on with ur life!

Edited by Crosswind

Cool your guns A 33, although how specific your external service people are, the best mechanic you can get for the job is a one who has been trained at the agents for the specific brand. and I am telling you with the experience i have had with my previous cars and as an ex fleet manager. Why? because the technology from one brand to another can differ significantly. You cannot find one size fits for all mechanics in the world. Look at Mr. Potato Farm for an example. How many blunders we hear daily from people going to this guy and screw themselves up? I'm not saying that agents give you teh divine remedy every time but, agents obviously have the information which initially went in to building that car / any other vehicle for that respect.

I guess commenting more on this causes more deviation than helping the objective.

• Like 1

Watchman, I really don't like to disrespect people and bring them down. But I really think that you might have not seen an agents service checklist. I am not moderator or any authorized person to ask you to get over your attitude problems before solving mechanical problems.

Take a look at how others have contributed to the discussion and try to understand what CCTV cameras have done to you!!!

But for a once try to get a car and take it to the agents for the service and look at their checklist. have fun dude!!!

cefiroA33,

Your reply post is perfect;y correct.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Okay..well the context is completely different but since checking electronics, wheel alignment was brought-up...in Japan I always took my RAV4 and probably will do so with my next ride, to the actual Toyota dealer (okay once it landed at a Nissan dealer because Toyota dealerships close on Mondays). For starters the dealership costs 6500yen whilst normal garages cost about 5000yen. So the price difference is not much of an issue.

At the end of the service you get a report which is pretty much the same looking sheet no matter where you go (almost verbatim of what you would see in the maintenance booklet of JDM imports in to SL) . The report/check-list comprises of the usual oil/filter change, a check for error codes and a measure on wear of brake pads. Everything else is merely visual inspections for leaks, other fluid levels, uneven tire wear and they check for play in the steering wheel and shake the car from the wheels (which actually is pretty funny to watch), etc... I have never had them do wheel alignments or check of sensors etc...the latter probably because there were no errors to begin with ? The dealerships have a standard set of check they perform and I am pretty sure that is the case in SL as well ?

Closer to 10K/15K they went a bit further and changed cabin filters etc...and the 25K (which was also closer to my shaken renewal) service was a bit more intensive. Once I wanted them to check the spark plugs it was only after they gave me a weird look and said spark plugs are okay till 75K that they went on and did it.

I didn't buy the car from the dealership but went there for a good part of 5 years and they do not have a "file" on my car. It is just the service book with the service report attached to it.

• Like 1

Guys this out of focus posts seems to have ruin the thread.

But thanks to those who contributed fruitfully. Crosswind I am sorry if my point hadn't been clear.

its not that I wanted to prove the agent maintenance is right or wrong. I wanted your guys opinion based on your experience or knowledge.

You put yourself in my shoes and try to understand I just wanted a simple answer for my question " if the purpose is to maintain your car properly, and avoid being faced with bitter experiences on the road (except accidents), to what extent does agent's maintenance serves the purpose? Does it worth for the extra buck I spend on them? or are there instances that one had maintain its vehicle above the standards of agents without their assistance?

Anyways thanks alot guys for your valuable comments.

But thanks to those who contributed fruitfully. Crosswind I am sorry if my point hadn't been clear.

its not that I wanted to prove the agent maintenance is right or wrong. I wanted your guys opinion based on your experience or knowledge.

You put yourself in my shoes and try to understand I just wanted a simple answer for my question " if the purpose is to maintain your car properly, and avoid being faced with bitter experiences on the road (except accidents), to what extent does agent's maintenance serves the purpose? Does it worth for the extra buck I spend on them? or are there instances that one had maintain its vehicle above the standards of agents without their assistance?

Enough aspects of 'agent maintenance' has been given on this thread thus far for an intelligent person to arrive at their own decision based on their preferences and budgets. You would be quite naive if you thought there was a 'simple' answer.

You're just going around beating a dead horse here.... You're asking for a definitive answer to a subjective question. It's as good as asking "guys what's best looking colour, and i everyone's consensus on ONE colour."

Well this is my two cents worth into the issue. I am not an expert and my views have been frowned upon already. cefiroA33 the problem is that you are asking a difficult question which does not have one correct simple answer, although you are expecting one. from a personal viewpoint I would suggest that if you are going for a major repair it is better to do this through the agent. For example if your going for a timing belt change or a full gear box replacement. If it is a normal day to day issue I suggest you get hold of a good trustworthy mehanic close to your place. If this is your first vehicle there might be some difficulty in finding one. There is a great guy in Peliyagoda one Ravi Perera at No.595, kandy Road, Bulugaha Juntion, Kelaniya (this is opposite the cargills and just after the Peliyagoda flyover). He specializes in Nissans and his charges are very reasonable. If it is a major repair then normally a lot of people would expect you to get the repair done from a reputed place. A person who may buy the vehicle will presume that you have taken care of the vehicle. Besides a major repair will entail the use of a higher degree of knowledge which will be present if you go to the agents.

Agents very rarely repair, they replace. For example when I went to A*W to check, why my check engine light is on they said that I have to replace the O2 sensor on Bank 1. The cost they were quoting was more than 25,000/=. I showed my vehicle to the aforementioned mechanic and he deduced the problem might not be in the apparent faulty sensor, but other factors as the Diagnostic Trouble Code was P0171, a lean condition (too much Oxygen).He did a full engine tune up and the check engine light is gone for now. Had I stuck with A*W I would have had to spend more than 25,000/= to replace the sensor and the check engine light would be lit again.

• Like 2

Enough aspects of 'agent maintenance' has been given on this thread thus far for an intelligent person to arrive at their own decision based on their preferences and budgets. You would be quite naive if you thought there was a 'simple' answer.

You're just going around beating a dead horse here.... You're asking for a definitive answer to a subjective question. It's as good as asking "guys what's best looking colour, and i everyone's consensus on ONE colour."

Talk to my hand watchi :to_pick_ones_nose3: . but thanks anyways.

5). The latest being that during the last service there was a coolant leak in the coolant line that runs from the radiator to the gear box (thats what they said) and again the solution suggested by them is to replace the radiator..

What stupid advice. Reminds me of Mahadanamuththa's "brilliant" solutions!

If the leak is in the coolant line how on earth would replacing the radiator solve the problem???????

Wonder what recommendation/solution they would give if there happens to be a leak in the fuel line!!!!! Replace the fuel tank or replace the whole engine or both or what??????? :(

Edited by CJ5

To be honest with you guys this particular radiator thing happened during my last service very recently (Even after my steering rack repair Komi) and all was fine until they told me this. I was pretty happy about my car getting the attention of the agents but this made me really frustrated and the reason for this post is same. Although I am a newbie I have seen the parts that comes with a new radiator and this line is no way even near the radiator and it made me wonder for a second whether all this time I was taken for a ride, Thanks for bringing that up.

I hope all agents are not like the Ford agent then...

I have taken my Focus for 5 services (since I bought it B/N two years back). So far, the agent has used three different types of engine oils and two different brands of filters!!!

WHAT!

I can understand the engine oil situation though Ford does market an engine oil under their own brand. But using different filters at the agent is unacceptable particularly because the genuine filters are not that expensive. The entire service kit for a Diesel transit which includes 6L of Ford branded engine oil, Diesel filter, oil filter and air filter (all Ford parts) was £60 and I expect a petrol Focus kit to be far far cheaper!

So far, the agent has used three different types of engine oils and two different brands of filters!!!

There have been instances where the frauds and cheats manning service bays at many service stations "recondition" old oil filters removed from vehicles by washing them in kerosene oil and then palm them off to gullible customers on the pretext that they are new. Could this be an instance????

To be honest with you guys this particular radiator thing happened during my last service very recently (Even after my steering rack repair Komi) and all was fine until they told me this. I was pretty happy about my car getting the attention of the agents but this made me really frustrated and the reason for this post is same. Although I am a newbie I have seen the parts that comes with a new radiator and this line is no way even near the radiator and it made me wonder for a second whether all this time I was taken for a ride, Thanks for bringing that up.

Just go to Indika men. He's better than all the agents put together, for me! For a car like yours, agent maintenance is unnecessary. It's only a sales gimmick. Any buyer with an ounce of sense can tell how well a car is maintained regardless of whether you went to the agent or not.

Edited by Komisiripala

Members,

I bought a new Vehicle from the agents. Year 2010 that vehicle no buyer wants to buy because the vehicle Windshield had a crack. they did not have a replacement glass.

Agent promised to give me a new W/S Glass. Never changed same every time I go for a service first three was free, they inform me that the glasses ordered not arrived yet.

Because the agent and their all people on the service center is known to me, I did not make a complain to Consumer protection authority.

The new vehicle delivery order that had written they will change a W/S glass free of charge.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 3 years later...

Though it's an old thread, I wanted to share a recent repair experience I had at Toyota Lanka.

I had a very very small oil leak from the engine, turns out I needed the cylinder head gasket repaired (The rubber one that sits between the engine block and the head not the metal head gasket), which didn't look like a very hard repair.

I also had an intermittent squeal from the engine compartment and needed that fixed as well.

I have done all of my repairs from ToyotaLanka until then, mainly due to the fact that I didn't knew any good garages (This was my first car).

Their recommendation was to  change the auto tensioner, belt, and the water pump due to a coolant leak. Didn't see anything wrong with those so I asked them to proceed and replace the cylinder head gasket as well.

They managed to f**k up the gasket replacement so spectacularly, I don't think I could've done worse had I tried to do it myself.

The gasket wasn't fitted properly, before the replacement the leak was barely visible (oil stain on the engine) now it was spraying a mist of oil.

They did fix it the day after when I took it back, but I found small gasket pieces in the coolant (when I removed the cap) afterwards. Found it a few times, thankfully all of them seem to be gone now.

And the icing on top, the squeak was coming from the the inverter pulley, which they replaced afterwards.

I learned a few things from this fiasco, and now I found a shop in Japan that ships me Toyota Genuine parts via EMS (Roughly 30% cheaper even with EMS shipping fees), and now looking for a good garage that can work on my car. :D

Still get the service done from them though, mainly for milage record and resale value.

1 hour ago, Thihara said:

Though it's an old thread, I wanted to share a recent repair experience I had at Toyota Lanka.

I had a very very small oil leak from the engine, turns out I needed the cylinder head gasket repaired (The rubber one that sits between the engine block and the head not the metal head gasket), which didn't look like a very hard repair.

I also had an intermittent squeal from the engine compartment and needed that fixed as well.

I have done all of my repairs from ToyotaLanka until then, mainly due to the fact that I didn't knew any good garages (This was my first car).

Their recommendation was to  change the auto tensioner, belt, and the water pump due to a coolant leak. Didn't see anything wrong with those so I asked them to proceed and replace the cylinder head gasket as well.

They managed to f**k up the gasket replacement so spectacularly, I don't think I could've done worse had I tried to do it myself.

The gasket wasn't fitted properly, before the replacement the leak was barely visible (oil stain on the engine) now it was spraying a mist of oil.

They did fix it the day after when I took it back, but I found small gasket pieces in the coolant (when I removed the cap) afterwards. Found it a few times, thankfully all of them seem to be gone now.

And the icing on top, the squeak was coming from the the inverter pulley, which they replaced afterwards.

I learned a few things from this fiasco, and now I found a shop in Japan that ships me Toyota Genuine parts via EMS (Roughly 30% cheaper even with EMS shipping fees), and now looking for a good garage that can work on my car. :D

Still get the service done from them though, mainly for milage record and resale value.

This is what happens when you try to use a guillotine to clear your dandruff! Replacing cam/rocker/valve cover gasket (or packing in local jargon to avoid confusion with the head gasket), T-belt/tensioner, water pump and alternator pulley in an engine like yours (must be a 5A-FE or 4A-FE engine) does not need the expertise of an agent. Also all this must have left quite a deep hole in your pocket :D but for me it leaves some doubts whether the job was really complete. When there is a leak in cam cover packing first thing to do is to check the PCV and clean the oil baffles along with changing the gasket. I do not think you are aware if this was done or not. This is a disadvantage when you get the repair done at the agent because you are not allowed near the car.

• Like 2