• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda Bj5W Issue

cefiroA33

Question

Hi Guys,

hope you all having a wonderful time out there getting ready for X mas and new year!!!

This issue came to my brother's car which is a Mazda BJ5W triptronic. its mileage read 103K.

issue was that the engine was subjected to sudden stop while its been running in few occasions. Every time, the engine stops suddenly, while the car is been running for few hours and not when it is starting after been parked or during cold starts. The issue comes up randomly.

As a result, the mechanic asked to replace theair cleaner hose which was also damaged, but the problem doesnt seem to be solved..

Today he has gone to Colombo to get some work done and on the way home after 1 hours ride the same problem has occurred. engine had suddenly stopped and had to wait for 45 minutes to 1 hour to get the engine running again. when he had tried to start the engine in between that time a sound had come which is similar to one you get when you try to start a hand tractor as if the engine trying to start without fuel and backfiring.

also the engine oil indicator had been on for the whole time.

He had taken the car to the mechanic and he had told that it might be something wrong with the fuel pump. however he could not identify the problem properly as the engine was running properly when the car is taken to the mechanic.

Can someone held me to determine the exact problem and whether replacing the fuel pump would solve the problem? Is there a place to run a diagnosis test on MAZDA BJ5W triptronic model as most of the places he had taken there are not programmed for BJ5W.

I am not sure whether this information is enough for you to determine the problem but please help us to solve this issue.

Thanking you guys

and take care

Edited by cefiroA33

24 answers to this question

When does the engine stop abruptly? Is it while cruising at constant speed (somewhat unlikely state for an engine to stop) or trying to accelerate hard after slowing down like below 5kmph? If it is the latter go for a general tune up. If it is the former that's something unusual.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

hope you all having a wonderful time out there getting ready for X mas and new year!!!

This issue came to my brother's car which is a Mazda BJ5W triptronic. its mileage read 103K.

issue was that the engine was subjected to sudden stop while its been running in few occasions. Every time, the engine stops suddenly, while the car is been running for few hours and not when it is starting after been parked or during cold starts. The issue comes up randomly.

As a result, the mechanic asked to replace theair cleaner hose which was also damaged, but the problem doesnt seem to be solved..

Today he has gone to Colombo to get some work done and on the way home after 1 hours ride the same problem has occurred. engine had suddenly stopped and had to wait for 45 minutes to 1 hour to get the engine running again. when he had tried to start the engine in between that time a sound had come which is similar to one you get when you try to start a hand tractor as if the engine trying to start without fuel and backfiring.

also the engine oil indicator had been on for the whole time.

He had taken the car to the mechanic and he had told that it might be something wrong with the fuel pump. however he could not identify the problem properly as the engine was running properly when the car is taken to the mechanic.

Can someone held me to determine the exact problem and whether replacing the fuel pump would solve the problem? Is there a place to run a diagnosis test on MAZDA BJ5W triptronic model as most of the places he had taken there are not programmed for BJ5W.

I am not sure whether this information is enough for you to determine the problem but please help us to solve this issue.

Thanking you guys

and take care

cefiro ,

one of my frends had a bj5p tiptronic version and he had a similar issue. but there was no engile oil light on. ultimately it turned out to be the cam sensor. you can go to Mazna at pepilyana and im sure they have come across this issue.

• Like 1

HI guys

Thanks for your expert comments.

Rumesh, well the car had stopped near Ratmalana area where they are doing some road construction work. and its not accelarating after slowing down but accelarating while you are moving at a fair speed.

Komi, he has done the service recently and engine oil levels are ok and so does the oil.

Mars Volta, Thank you for the thread went through it. So it must be either the pump or cam sensor. How to distinguish between them?? Does Mazna Papiliyana do scanning on BJ5W triptronic model? I am asking this because most of the mechanics had stated that they do not have the data of the particular model to scan.

VPJ, thanks for the comment. Well ultimately it seems Mazna Papiliyana seems to be a good option as it is close by and chances of stopping the car at places you dont want it to be stopped are low.

Anyways will keep you guys posted on latest developments.

And Komi no oil leaks in steering rack so far in my car after its repair. thanks mate.

Regards

HI guys

Thanks for your expert comments.

Rumesh, well the car had stopped near Ratmalana area where they are doing some road construction work. and its not accelarating after slowing down but accelarating while you are moving at a fair speed.

Komi, he has done the service recently and engine oil levels are ok and so does the oil.

Mars Volta, Thank you for the thread went through it. So it must be either the pump or cam sensor. How to distinguish between them?? Does Mazna Papiliyana do scanning on BJ5W triptronic model? I am asking this because most of the mechanics had stated that they do not have the data of the particular model to scan.

VPJ, thanks for the comment. Well ultimately it seems Mazna Papiliyana seems to be a good option as it is close by and chances of stopping the car at places you dont want it to be stopped are low.

Anyways will keep you guys posted on latest developments.

And Komi no oil leaks in steering rack so far in my car after its repair. thanks mate.

Regards

Mazna can scan BJ5W. go there and tel them the issue. im very much inlclined to think this is the cam sensor which give the trouble.

I had a reason to ask if the car stopped while trying to accelerate from a low speed. That seems to be the case even though your response is not very clear. I hope the engine is of ZL-VE type with S-VT - Mazda's equivalent to VVTi - technology. I am sure just before the engine stops you would hear the pinging noise of an over advanced engine (kiri - kiri sound). You may go ahead as advised by others above but for me the cam sensor is not the no. 1 suspect but I could be wrong :speechless-smiley-004:

• Like 1

I am sorry rumesh88 but it seems that everytime the car had stopped it was when he was accelarating to high speeds. If i am not mistaken its not when the car is stopped or moving at low speed and trying to accelerate. I hope you are clear with what i am trying to say.

Anyways his engine is what you called equivelant to VVTI technology. So what do you think it is rumesh?

cefiroA33 -Thank you for the clarification. So you mean that the car dies off for example as it tries to overtake a vehicle?Still he should be able to hear the pinging noise. This is the first scenario indicated in my earlier post and is somewhat unusual. Keep the cam sensor too in equation but let's eliminate other possibilities too by answering to followings. How long ago was the last tune done? Do you have oil sludge formed inside the cam cover (due to previously neglected oil changes)? You can judge the condition inside by peeping into the oil cap. If you have or suspect oil sludge the OCV filter or even oil paths (worst case) may require cleaning.

• Like 1

Rumesh, exactly this happend when he tried to overtake a vehicle on all occassions. He purchased the car one year back and so far hadnt done a tune up. Plus during the last service he had found out that the engine oil had gotten slurry inside the tank and had to wash the complete tank etc. I dont know whether you are referring to that sort of a sludge built up.

well the car is at the garage now (Not in MAZNA as they have told that they have enough jobs on line and since they are closed tommorow thay are not in a position to take up new jobs) and let you guys know what happend

Rumesh, exactly this happend when he tried to overtake a vehicle on all occassions. He purchased the car one year back and so far hadnt done tune up. Plus during the last service he had found out that the engine oil had gotten slurry inside the tank and had to wash the complete tank etc. I dont know whether you are referring to that sort of a sludge built up.

That's exactly what I was referring to. Engine oil can become slurry if one neglects the oil change for sometime or if an oil with more detergents happens to free up sludge which had been there already. However, it may be worth having a look at both the OCV and its filter (small screen in fact) regardless of its relation to the fault in hand.

I've been running a BJ5P with VVT for 4+ years and based on my experience i would suspect one of the following two causes or both for your problem.

1) Faulty CAM Sensor

2) Busted or failing Ignition Coil packs.

But, before concluding on anything, i would highly recommend you to do a proper engine scan to identify the actual cause. That is the best, safest and cheapest approach to solve your issue. I would recommend Mazna for this since those guys know BJ5's inside out. But, as you say since they are busy, Maybe you can do only the scanning at Mazna to identify the cause. If it's one of the above causes, it's just a 10-15 minute repair job so, they might do it. If it's some other time consuming issue, then you can take it elsewhere. Give a call to Lalith or Amesh at Mazna and explain the problem they'll help you out. Please don't do any repair work based on hunches without a proper engine scan. That will be just a waste of money. and please let us know the outcome. that will be beneficial to all the other forum members.

Edited by LashNeo
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting an update.

So we were able to sought the assistance of a mechanic at the time car stopped in Nugegoda Junc and he was pretty sure that its the CAM sensor that causing the problem. So we replaced it with a recondition one 6.5K and now the issue doesn't seem to be there any longer. But anyway we told the mechanic regarding the slurry built up of engine oil and the mechanic told that a engine tune up and clean up is necessary as well. as the REV decrease significantly during idling.

**Guys I used to have the same problem in my Cefiro as well. once you keep running for a while and stop the engine the next time it starts (Not cold start but after a while say 30 minutes - 1 hour), the REV doesn't go up much ( 1000-15000) as it does in cold start (normally go up to 2000) and then comes down below 500 before settling at 750-800. at certain instances it shut off but all the time I get the feeling that the engine is struggling (like almost near to shut off) before it catches up.

Well as i have told you guys before my Cefiro engine was tuned by Mario in March (and has run 10,000 km afterwards) and this issue came recently.

Do you guys think that my one needs a tune up again? or is it a indication of a sensor failure that's going to come up? any other possibilities for this. inquired about this during my service at A*W (fortunately i was able to demonstrate it there) and there first reaction was that it needs an engine tune up. but when I told them about the recent tune up they scan the engine and said that the only error code it gave was regarding an engine misfire. I have the report with me if you guys further need it.

And guys please don't be confused that the issue I am describing now, after the two asterisks above happened to my Nissan Cefiro A33 and previous experience was related to my brothers Mazda BJ5W.

Wish you guys a merry christmas and happy holidays!!!!

Edited by cefiroA33

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting an update.

So we were able to sought the assistance of a mechanic at the time car stopped in Nugegoda Junc and he was pretty sure that its the CAM sensor that causing the problem. So we replaced it with a recondition one 6.5K and now the issue doesn't seem to be there any longer. But anyway we told the mechanic regarding the slurry built up of engine oil and the mechanic told that a engine tune up and clean up is necessary as well. as the REV decrease significantly during idling.

**Guys I used to have the same problem in my Cefiro as well. once you keep running for a while and stop the engine the next time it starts (Not cold start but after a while say 30 minutes - 1 hour), the REV doesn't go up much ( 1000-15000) as it does in cold start (normally go up to 2000) and then comes down below 500 before settling at 750-800. at certain instances it shut off but all the time I get the feeling that the engine is struggling (like almost near to shut off) before it catches up.

Well as i have told you guys before my Cefiro engine was tuned by Mario in March (and has run 10,000 km afterwards) and this issue came recently.

Do you guys think that my one needs a tune up again? or is it a indication of a sensor failure that's going to come up? any other possibilities for this. inquired about this during my service at A*W (fortunately i was able to demonstrate it there) and there first reaction was that it needs an engine tune up. but when I told them about the recent tune up they scan the engine and said that the only error code it gave was regarding an engine misfire. I have the report with me if you guys further need it.

And guys please don't be confused that the issue I am describing now, after the two asterisks above happened to my Nissan Cefiro A33 and previous experience was related to my brothers Mazda BJ5W.

Wish you guys a merry christmas and happy holidays!!!!

When the engine is up to temperature, there is no need for the engine to be revved up (auto choke it used to be called but it isn't really anymore) as the purpose of the higher revs is to bring the engine up to temperature quickly.

So the only problem with your engine is the fact revs drop to 500 before settling in 700. Since the so called tune up was done recently, not sure if you need one again, but its worth while checking the sensors like the throttle position sensor, check for vacuume leaks and clean the throttle body and the idle control valve.

The agents are pretty good at diagnosing these problems

Thanks Don they did a sort of consultation after the service and scanned the engine. then had a test run. but the service adviser couldn't actually determine the issue.

The error code from the engine scan was P1320 IGN SIGNAL - Primary.

So can a damaged air cleaner duct can create this sort of issue??

I am bit confused when it comes to this engine issues due to their complexities and seek your guys expert views. :sport-smiley-027::sport-smiley-027:

This error code (probably a failure in ignition coil assembly, in this case you might feel a "jerk" when you try to accelerate the vehicle quickly) and the symptoms you have mentioned might be two different issues.

Engine tune-up (more precisely TB cleanup ) would help you (not for the error code).

• Like 1

Thanks Don they did a sort of consultation after the service and scanned the engine. then had a test run. but the service adviser couldn't actually determine the issue.

The error code from the engine scan was P1320 IGN SIGNAL - Primary.

So can a damaged air cleaner duct can create this sort of issue??

I am bit confused when it comes to this engine issues due to their complexities and seek your guys expert views. :sport-smiley-027::sport-smiley-027:

Sounds like one of your coil packs are faulty? Does your car have coil packs over each of the spark plugs or a single electronic ignition unit? The coil pack is like a little box, and if you don't have them the ignition wire connects straight to the spark plug.

Thanks guys for the replies. Well Don I am not quite sure about the ignition system. I am an amateur of amateurs to this engine things. I will have a look at it and let you guys know.

hmm an engine tune up again!!! I have to speak to Mario regarding this cos he did my last tune up and seems its not enough.

Thanks guys for the replies. Well Don I am not quite sure about the ignition system. I am an amateur of amateurs to this engine things. I will have a look at it and let you guys know.

hmm an engine tune up again!!! I have to speak to Mario regarding this cos he did my last tune up and seems its not enough.

Check the coil packs before tune up. Its a common issue with Nissan's though not sure if your car has coil packs.