• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Cynos

suki300me

Question

I've been looking to buy a Toyota Cynos for a while now and found something very peculiar.

There are two models of this- 1991 and 1996, but prices of both these cars are roughly similar. (Around 1.1-1.3m)

The obvious thing to do is go for the newer model, but is there any inherent fault in the new model? Why does both these models cost the same?

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks

14 answers to this question

The pricing for cars which are not plentiful is a bit arbitary, as they go for whatever it is worth for somebody. I have not heard of anything inherently wrong with the car though as will all cars that age body parts if necessary would prove a bit of a challenge. The engine and running gear is shared by other models so should not cause too many problems.

The pricing for cars which are not plentiful is a bit arbitary, as they go for whatever it is worth for somebody. I have not heard of anything inherently wrong with the car though as will all cars that age body parts if necessary would prove a bit of a challenge. The engine and running gear is shared by other models so should not cause too many problems.

Thats true mn. Today I found a guy who sells specifically these kind of cars and he told me that for some reason there is much higher demand for 1st gen cynoses than the latter one. Also underneath its pretty much the same car where loads of mechanical parts are interchangable. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Why don't people realize that there is no fixed prices for cars like milk powder and gas?

X may ask 1.3 for a 1991 Cynos, Y may ask 1.1. It's based on each of these people's expectation. Whether the buyer agrees with it or not, is the buyer's call.

It DOESNT MEAN the car is bad

Its a known fact that certain ppl overprice there cars. Thats what led to this idea of CAR VALUATION

Edited by suki300me

Also underneath its pretty much the same car where loads of mechanical parts are interchangable. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

That would be correct....

The Cynos was pretty much the Tercel/Corsa/Corolla II of the same time with a sleeker coupe' body. They both should be xL40 series, for early 90s and xL50 series, for mid 90s <I am just going by what the Tercel/Corsa used to be>.

Where the frame is concerned the latter was made a bit more stiffer but everything else remained the same. Both the Tercel and the Cynos came with the same 5e-fe engine and transmission so I can't imagine the Cynos having any more or any less problems/reliability-issues than a Tercel/Corsa of the same period. I am not sure and I am just speculating here; but perhaps the Cynos came with a "sportier" suspension ?

The Cynos did come with a 5E-FHE engine which pushes a bit more power than the 5E-FE and has reinforced internals; I m not sure if any variant of the Tercel/Corsa/Corolla II came with it though.

Edited by iRage

Thats true mn. Today I found a guy who sells specifically these kind of cars and he told me that for some reason there is much higher demand for 1st gen cynoses than the latter one. Also underneath its pretty much the same car where loads of mechanical parts are interchangable. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

OT but quite curious to know, when you say a guy who "sells specifically these kinds of cars" do you mean a guy who deals in Cynos' or two door/sporty cars in general? Either way that is quite rare so it would be good to have a chat with him.

That would be correct....

The Cynos was pretty much the Tercel/Corsa/Corolla II of the same time with a sleeker coupe' body. They both should be xL40 series, for early 90s and xL50 series, for mid 90s <I am just going by what the Tercel/Corsa used to be>.

Where the frame is concerned the latter was made a bit more stiffer but everything else remained the same. Both the Tercel and the Cynos came with the same 5e-fe engine and transmission so I can't imagine the Cynos having any more or any less problems/reliability-issues than a Tercel/Corsa of the same period. I am not sure and I am just speculating here; but perhaps the Cynos came with a "sportier" suspension ?

The Cynos did come with a 5E-FHE engine which pushes a bit more power than the 5E-FE and has reinforced internals; I m not sure if any variant of the Tercel/Corsa/Corolla II came with it though.

Thanks for the info machan. Adding to that, if someone is looking for one of these cars you want to avoid "Alpha" model. It's way down on power and vibrates like a fruit blender.

OT but quite curious to know, when you say a guy who "sells specifically these kinds of cars" do you mean a guy who deals in Cynos' or two door/sporty cars in general? Either way that is quite rare so it would be good to have a chat with him.

He is a friend of a friend of mine. Owns a large spare parts shop in Kandy and restores a car or two for fun and sells them. When I went there he had a Red sera that was in a pretty bad nick and a sweet 2 door Honda. I will share his contact no with u if he doesn't mind

Which sera is this? There are only a handful of them in decent condition now.

There was a decent red one (without plates) at a service center in Rathmalana. It's gone now, maybe it's this one? Another silver example can be seen near Nilanka Motor Spares, Dehiwala. The owner had given it a fresh coat of paint the last time I saw it.

The red one in kolonne's shed near pila doesn't have a book. It's yours for 700,000 if you can do the necessary Gil-maat. That's what he said at least. Not that I condone that course of action.

What's this two door Honda? A sol? A crx?

That's what I saw.