• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carina At-170 - Help In A Few Repairs

kalingabd

Hi guys,

I bought a carina AT170 (carburettor model 1989 17-9xxx) recently. This is my first own car although ive been using my dads for a few years but deffa need some help with a few issues. Will list them down so that any volunteers could help.

1/ The car does around 8 kms per litre average in the city and outstation. I am not sure what to do with it. I showed it to a mechanic, he says I need to replace the carburettor. Further, the car has a small jerk when accerlerating as well. Any ideas on this? Does an AT170 do only about 8kms? :sport-smiley-027: Any real good mechanic to show this to who will not take me for a ride? I drive 50 kms daily :speechless-smiley-004:

2/ Further, it has tinkering on the border of the front windscreen. There is no tinkering elsewhere, but the previous owner has done touchups on this without a proper repair coz he has wanted to abstain from removing the windscreen. I want to fix this for good. Any mechanics u guys recommend? :speechless-smiley-019:

3/ The power steering rack has to be replaced. There are oil leaks on both sides, so need to get a replacement from delkanda. But again need a good reliable mechanic. there are plenty but i dont trust anyone of these blokes around.

I bought the car for 7. I know it has the above issues, but the interior is pretty cool and it runns really well, and its deffa below market price.

Please do suggest me any mechanics u know so that I can get the car done up to the mint condition. Really love :smilie_liebe9: the car for some car reason probably coz this is the first car i purchased with my cash :speechless-smiley-004:

This is the four square light model? Congrats on your first car! And what's more it's got the engine in the front, gearbox on the middle and drivetrain in the rear. Recipe for tons of fun of you ask me.

1. Looks like you need a carb tuneup. See if it can be fixed first, if not consider replacement.

2. To address the rust near the windscreen properly you'll have to remove it and tinker. There is arise of breaking the glass but it's a fairly common car you should be able to find a replacement if so there's no point tinkering without removing the glass. A good tinkering/paint might set you back around 150,000. But if done well the car will hold for at least 5-6 years.

3. The rack too might be fixable by servicing the rack end bushes/whatnots. Replace as worst case scenario.

Where do you live? I'd recommend my mechanic Indika because he has 2 of these cars and two daihatsu charmant (same car, no? Like the terios/rush?) which he has restored to brilliant condition. The Carina's are diesel converts tho. But they all run like dimes. He's in Kolonnawa. PM me if you want his number.

Before you decide on tuning/repairing or replacing the carb make sure that all the vacuum lines are intact (No leaks and connected at proper places) and the carb has not been meddled with (I mean raped!) before. In addition to Komisiripala's request above if you can post a pic of the engine bay with air cleaner removed it would give a better idea (as the saying goes - a picture is worth thousand words!)

Car looks very nice. I see lots of potential. If youre re-spraying, get your lights cleaned as well. How's the interior? Does it need re-upholstery or will a good shampoo/vac be sufficient?

Machan give me a holler after January, if you're interested we can have a chat over what to do with this car :)

• 2 months later...

ok guys...thanks for all the suggestions. @Komisirapala, Paid a visit to indika as well...but seems like the chap is damn busy.

Could not update u guys since I was stuck up with work and continued running the car since i bought it without any major hassle.

Now, the car is Shaa motors kaduwela. :) I know its not the most reliable place around but i not the baas for some time and thought well... lets go to him again and see how it goes.

1/ Removed the rack today. Planning to go to delkanda tom to hunt for a replacement.

2/ Need to change the brakes hoses, brake pads, and what not. Need to "phase" (if its the right word) the disks as well..

3/ Need to change the engine "packing" have oil leaks around it.

Unfortunately the ac stopped working as well and the damn winders (auto) are not working as yet. After getting the above fixed the next stop is AC and the winders.

Will update. :) First need to get the mechanical stuff fixed prior to getting a touch up done on the car.

Congratulations on your first car.

May I suggest few things to do.

If there are leaky 'packing' there might be possible compression leak. Or else the 'packing' simply need replacement due to ageing.

Anyway check the breather hose for signs of excessive oil in it.

I think you need to get an A/C service done. Start with the evaporator. check for leaks. If leaky replace it. Replace expansion valve and filer dryer and check the system for leaks . If your compressor delivers enough compression A/C will be fine.

ok guys...thanks for all the suggestions. @Komisirapala, Paid a visit to indika as well...but seems like the chap is damn busy.

Could not update u guys since I was stuck up with work and continued running the car since i bought it without any major hassle.

Now, the car is Shaa motors kaduwela. :) I know its not the most reliable place around but i not the baas for some time and thought well... lets go to him again and see how it goes.

1/ Removed the rack today. Planning to go to delkanda tom to hunt for a replacement.

2/ Need to change the brakes hoses, brake pads, and what not. Need to "phase" (if its the right word) the disks as well..

3/ Need to change the engine "packing" have oil leaks around it.

Unfortunately the ac stopped working as well and the damn winders (auto) are not working as yet. After getting the above fixed the next stop is AC and the winders.

Will update. :) First need to get the mechanical stuff fixed prior to getting a touch up done on the car.

The winders are actually a quick fix. If you are taking the car to Delkanda there is a small windscreen place in front of Sujata and they fixed mine pretty quick. Most of the time its a broken cable, though if the issue is electronic, well you might as well find the parts for that as well, while in Delkanda.

@Wolsely will check. Unfortunately my mechanic has damaged his finger doing some repairs and he is off for 3-4 days :sad-smiley-067:

Any AC place u would like to recommend...Talked a few places at koswatte. I am no expert but I felt these guys were not genuine.

@The Don. Will check. Was looking for a place actually. The issue is three of my doors work lethargically :sport-smiley-005: . They get stuck yes..but the motors work. Need a service of some sort. The drivers door is not working at all. And I need to replace one of the buttons.

Had some time looking for the rack. Walked along the highlevel for about 2 hours.. finally found one that matches exactly to the sample at sesatha.

By the way if any one needs body parts for AT-170 carina, Dai has some parts in stock and cheap. Both the rear lights for 4.5K :sport-smiley-004: Bought a pair as well as stock.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the four square light model? Congrats on your first car! And what's more it's got the engine in the front, gearbox on the middle and drivetrain in the rear. Recipe for tons of fun of you ask me.

1. Looks like you need a carb tuneup. See if it can be fixed first, if not consider replacement.

2. To address the rust near the windscreen properly you'll have to remove it and tinker. There is arise of breaking the glass but it's a fairly common car you should be able to find a replacement if so there's no point tinkering without removing the glass. A good tinkering/paint might set you back around 150,000. But if done well the car will hold for at least 5-6 years.

3. The rack too might be fixable by servicing the rack end bushes/whatnots. Replace as worst case scenario.

Where do you live? I'd recommend my mechanic Indika because he has 2 of these cars and two daihatsu charmant (same car, no? Like the terios/rush?) which he has restored to brilliant condition. The Carina's are diesel converts tho. But they all run like dimes. He's in Kolonnawa. PM me if you want his number.

Komi is this car a rear wheel drive or front wheel drive?.....

• 1 month later...

ok just a quick update.

Had plenty of issues during the last 2 weeks and spent a good deal of time with the car. :speechless-smiley-004:

1/ Went to fix the radiator since I noticed that the water level was reducing slightly and I had to make sure that I fill up once in two days. And dear god..the radiator was full of leaks. Removed it and it was a mess. It was a "single core" radiator so well I deicided to replace it.

2/ I observed that there were a fix bubbles coming out when u open the radiator cap, and when I asked the radiator guys they said its a gasket leak. I tried accelerating the car with the cap open and no surprises, the water came gushing out... So yeah, removed the head and what not and checked the engine. I had to replace the gasket. The engine as per the baas is quite good. It has good pulling power, starts one go..no oil leaks and what not...so I believe its good for at least 100K if I do the maintenance right.

3/ Several other minor issues were fixed...minor wiring issues and what not. I have to do a cleanup of the wiring tho after all the other stuff is fixed.

Todo still :sad-smiley-066:

1/ Still need to get the AC and winders. AC will be going to Thinon nawala. He had a look at it and he seems like he will do a good job. Thanks to Wolseley)

2/ Need help with the carb. This is the biggest problem I have. The car does only 8. I am not sure if its the norm since most owners say that it does 10. The engine is 1500cc 16 valve engine. I am not sure about the average consumption of this car. When I asked my mechanic he says I have to replace the carb with one with "small injectors". I have no clue. Any comments on this guys? I dont want to give this to a chap and ruin the whole thing.

Bear with me guys. Coz I am not an expert at this and yes its a steep learning curve.

Edited by kalingabd

Nice! I see that the car has landed on a pair of hands that does all the right things for it. In a country where most people buy cheap new cars as opposed to good old ones like this, thumbs up for opting for the latter.

About the carb, the first thing you should try doing is overhaul it with the use of a (genuine preferably) carburetor repair kit. It should have all the bits and pieces (jets, gaskets, o-rings etc.) that are standard for the car. This should of course be followed by a good tuneup. To achieve the optimal fuel efficiency + a smoother engine, you might have to look into the ignition system as well. Spark plugs, high tension leads (plug wires), the distributor and maybe even the coil.

Patience is the key. Good luck! :)

Todo still :sad-smiley-066:

1/ Still need to get the AC and winders. AC will be going to Thinon nawala. He had a look at it and he seems like he will do a good job. Thanks to Wolseley)

2/ Need help with the carb. This is the biggest problem I have. The car does only 8. I am not sure if its the norm since most owners say that it does 10. The engine is 1500cc 16 valve engine. I am not sure about the average consumption of this car. When I asked my mechanic he says I have to replace the carb with one with "small injectors". I have no clue. Any comments on this guys? I dont want to give this to a chap and ruin the whole thing.

Bear with me guys. Coz I am not an expert at this and yes its a steep learning curve.

Don't worry. You are even with your mechanic :D. First check if the fuel level is at the half mark. Assuming the carb has not been raped earlier and the jets are of their original size, the first thing to do is get it cleaned externally (ie without dismantling the thing). It is just a matter of removing the air cleaner cover and spraying carb cleaner down the throttle. Get the carb body (external) cleaned too. If the carb has not been cleaned for a long period you may have some tough carbon built up here and there. If so get WD40 (or bit of diesel) sprayed to the carb and leave overnight to loosen them. Usually with this cleaning alone you should see an improvement in fuel consumption. Now that you have cleaned the carb body, after running for another 1000km check the external body for stains left by possible fuel leaks particularly near the accelerator pump boot. If you observe leaks then of course you need a repair kit and get the carb repaired. But the point is avoid doing so whenever possible because more often than not you would end up with a raped carb in the hands of most of our mechs.

Edit: My opinion differs with that of Davy but I 've been a bit extra - cautious.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Nice! I see that the car has landed on a pair of hands that does all the right things for it. In a country where most people buy cheap new cars as opposed to good old ones like this, thumbs up for opting for the latter.

About the carb, the first thing you should try doing is overhaul it with the use of a (genuine preferably) carburetor repair kit. It should have all the bits and pieces (jets, gaskets, o-rings etc.) that are standard for the car. This should of course be followed by a good tuneup. To achieve the optimal fuel efficiency + a smoother engine, you might have to look into the ignition system as well. Spark plugs, high tension leads (plug wires), the distributor and maybe even the coil.

Patience is the key. Good luck! :)

Davy I would like to do this. Any mechanic you would recommend?

@Komisiriapala recommended a guy, but he is damn busy. I want to stick around when its done :smilie_liebe9: ...was not sure of that with Indika, but will go to him if I have no other choice

@Rumesh. This is too complex for me. God knows what I will wreck up trying to do this. :sad-smiley-066: Any reliable mechanic?

Don't worry. You are even with your mechanic :D. First check if the fuel level is at the half mark. Assuming the carb has not been raped earlier and the jets are of their original size, the first thing to do is get it cleaned externally (ie without dismantling the thing). It is just a matter of removing the air cleaner cover and spraying carb cleaner down the throttle. Get the carb body (external) cleaned too. If the carb has not been cleaned for a long period you may have some tough carbon built up here and there. If so get WD40 (or bit of diesel) sprayed to the carb and leave overnight to loosen them. Usually with this cleaning alone you should see an improvement in fuel consumption. Now that you have cleaned the carb body, after running for another 1000km check the external body for stains left by possible fuel leaks particularly near the accelerator pump boot. If you observe leaks then of course you need a repair kit and get the carb repaired. But the point is avoid doing so whenever possible because more often than not you would end up with a raped carb in the hands of most of our mechs.

@kalingabd - No I did not expect you to do it all by yourself (i said get it done) but you can get it done from your ordinary mechanic because it does not involve the internals of the carb or the adjustments etc. So skill of the mechanic is not that important. Instead of mechanic telling you what to do you tell him this is what you want. Of course some of them have an attitude and they may not entertain you. (As for a reliable mechanic.... sorry mate I am clueless). It has been my personal experience that a carb in its original form does not need anything more than a good clean up of the air bleeders and fixing of fuel/air leaks if any, if the car is performing at an acceptable level and all you expect is an improvement in fuel economy. In case if you have a rough idle, engine miss etc then that's a different story.

Edited by Rumesh88

@Rumesh

One more question.

u said;

First check if the fuel level is at the half mark.

What do u mean by this? Should i check this prior to doing any servicing with the carburettor. Or should I make sure that the car has more than 1/2 the tank filled regularly for better petrol consumption?

It sounds like an idiotic quesiton but thats the knowledge i have on these stuff :sad-smiley-067:

@Rumesh

One more question.

u said;

First check if the fuel level is at is at the half mark.

What do u mean by this? Should i check this prior to doing any servicing with the carburettor. Or should I make sure that the car has more than 1/2 the tank filled regularly for better petrol consumption?

It sounds like an idiotic quesiton but thats the knowledge i have on these stuff :sad-smiley-067:

My apologies. I should have been a bit more descriptive. On one side of the carb you have a small glass window to check the fuel level inside. After parking your car on a level ground just see if the level of fuel inside the carb is at the middle of the galss window. There is a mark (notch) on the metal housing to identify the half-mark. If it is above the half-mark you will experience a higher fuel consumption depending on how high it is above the mark. If it is below the mark you may get marginally better consumption but with less pulling power, engine missing at times etc.

Edited by Rumesh88

• 1 month later...

A quick update;

The A/C fixed :) Thinon at colombage mawathe. Thanks to Wolselely

Checked up the engine with Dhammika Fernando along cotta road. Prasanna at thinon directed me thr. He checked all the vacuum tubes around the engine and did some tuning up. The chap has the engine diagrams and stuff. and i believe he did a good job since the engine runs really smooth now.

However, he identified two issues;

1/ Distributor centrifugal advance to be serviced. (udara motors Pita kotte)

2/ And the carb service after 01 is done. The carb he directed me to shantha (grandpass)

I have no clue to be honest about 1/ but I am going to the person Fernando directed me to and see how it goes. Targeting this Friday.

Will keep u guys updated.