• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vanguard

zee boy

Question

10 answers to this question

Okay for starters with the launch of the NEW Harrier the Vanguard is no longer for sale. So you can't buy a brand new unit anymore. Although there are few ex-stock specimens still circulating around.

Now the Vanguard is the long wheel base version of the JDM RAV4 (in some countries AUS,US,etc..it IS the RAV4) and is marketed to be a bit more luxurious than the JDM RAV4 (some grades come with leather seats etc...).

It was first launched in 2007 and there was a facelift in either 2010 or 2011..not sure...

It comes with either the 2.4 ltr (2AZ-FE) engine found in the JDM RAV4 or a V6 3.5 ltr engine.

As far as I know the 2.4 ltr came in either AWD (ACA33) or FF (ACA38) and the 3.5 came only in AWD (GSA33) with a 4WD lock mode which the 2.4ltr and the JDM RAV4 did not have.

The V6 was dropped in 2011/2012???

Personally I found the Vanguard with the 2.4 ltr engine a bit under powered, due to the heavier weight and 3.5 ltr was a lot more fun to drive, it did go like a bat out of hell.

The more common version over here in Japan is the 2WD 2.4 ltr version as the 4WD one costs as much as a Harrier...

Also the 2.4 ltr was coupled with a CVT gear box and the 3.5 ltr with a 5 A/T (which I found to be a bit twitchy)

The 7 seater variant's 3rd row seats are bit of a cramp and somewhat inconvenient to get inand out if you are somewhat heavy sized like me; but then again so is the case with most other 7-seaters in this segment.

Ride quality was not bad. Felt it was a bit more less bouncy than my RAV4 (probably the weight plus the longer wheel base) the sound proofing seemed a bit more refined. Also the one I test drove had leather seats and stuff which added to it.

Again this is a softroader so don't plan on doing anything more than just going on a slightly muddy track, beach or dirt track.

I remember writing more details about it in some other thread as well maybe you can do a search ?

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot guys..it helps..this looks like a good vehicle for the given price range..do you know why this vehicle is not so popular in Sri Lanka and why Toyota chose to discontinue this model? also do you know the average fuel consumption of this vehicle ..??

Hmm...I dunno how to comment on what makes cars popular in SL and what doesn't...and whether it is worth it for the price...well maybe it depends on the person. After all there are plenty of people in SL who buy Premios for almost the same price as a BMW 3-series.

Well some months ago I was reading some Japanese auto magazines and some points that were stated was that the Vanguard was a misfire in regards to positioning. Whilst it was supposed to be a replacement for the Kruger people confused it as a replacement for the Harrier So Toyota kind of created a weird form of cannibalization as it was eating up the Harrier's market.

But at the end

1. the new RAV4 comes in only one wheelbase. I guess it also helps Toyota keep production costs down ?

2. the new Harrier is based on the new RAV4 and he length of the vehicle is almost the same as a Vanguard.

and who knows maybe the demand for a 7 seter in this segment was not very high ? So it would have made little sense for Toyota to have the NEW Harrier as well as a luxurious version of the RAV4 (ie Vangaurd) as it would be exactly the same as the Harrier

As for fuel consumption..I have no idea....the 2.4ltr RAV4 does about 7-8 kmpl in city driving and I get about 12-13 kmpl on high way driving. As you can see in the catalog the 2.4 ltr is rated same as the RAV4 so I would imagine it is somewhere around there minus a little bit due to the additional weight etc. As for the 3.5ltr..I have no idea...I would reckon maybe around 5 in the city and about 8 on the highway ? It has the same engine from the 3.5 ltr Harrier and the physical attributes are more or less the same so maybe you can ask someone who has a 3.5 ltr Harrier ??

hi guys, long time lurker and first time poster here. wanted to add some comments as there is very little information available online,one of the other useful links i found is this http://japanesecarfanatic.com/toyota-vanguard/ check it out.

firstly thank you very much iRage for your extremly useful comments on this page that were instrumental in me purchasing my brand new 2013 vanguard AWD - sadly couldnt and didnt really want to go for a V6 (they are not available here which i guess is good with the current petrol prices) coming from a 1600CC Saloon this engine surely feels like a best to me. and its not bad on fuel economy i can do about 10kmpl with the start and stop traffic in colombo should be able to do more outstation imo this is outstanding for an AWD (no 4wd lock on this one - if you need that you need the V6). there is no real time fuel consumption indicator (not sure if thats accurate anyways) just an eco light witch goes off after 2000rpm and interstingly i can accerate from 35ish to 60 at only 1000rpm which helps with the fuel saving. (idle RPM according to the emission test is 675)

being a CUV it does fit into tight spots very well. nobody quite understands the CUV category here. my insurace calls it a land cruiser and the RMV registration certificate calls it a station wagon which sucks cause now when i see it from a distance i think of a corolla DX. great turn radus and good overall visibility helped by the rather "small feeling" steering wheel and electric lumbar support makes you want to find a good comfortable driving spot but really all you want to do is just jiggle the buttons. (ok fine maybe thats just me)

a 7 seater is great when you have kids whos feet dont touch the floor. as iRage mentioned the 2 extra seats are a tight fit for any decent sized adult but hey they are great to keep the small-built domestic help in it. they fold completely flat with no space for a spare wheel which the vanguard compensates with a tyre puncher kit (not great for SL) also this doesnt come with mudguards. no mudguards on a pearl white vehicle makes it look like i offroad daily! anyways ordered some on ebay it should fit when it gets here.

do note that this falls into the semi-luxury category of vehicles (which means 7 annual installments of 60k,50k,40k,30k,25k,20k and 15k)

Congrats on the purchase...if it makes you feel any better in Japan the Corolla DX is classified as VAN and station wagons are usually cars like the RAV4, Prado, Hilux Surf, etc...

Regarding the mudflaps; if your vanguard has side skirts the front units will not fit. If memory serves me right dealerships offered the side skirts with a silver trim thingy as part of a special package so quite a few of them had these skirts....

The Vanguard had the rear mount spare wheel as an option where you pretty much got the rear cargo door of the ACA31 RAV4. I can't remember the exact price but it was pricey and by ordering it you couldn't get some of the other accessories/options (no idea why). Only seen three Vanguards with the spare tire mounted on the back and one was a display model.

Also that link you posted although it says Toyota Vanguard it actually talks about the export model RAV4. The Vanguard was not released till 2005/2006 ? and never came in a diesel variant (same with the RAV4 except for the export market)

Edited by iRage

thanks iRage that does make me feel better ! no side skirts on mine as well i think i like it without it so the mudguards should fit. are these the side skirts you talk about http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/141315-premium-side-stepsmudflaps-help-please/page-4 (see photos on post number 39) they do look nice

i guess i should forget about the spare wheel as i honestly dont plan to off road with this and our dear president seems to be fixing every oppertunity within colombo city limits.some really nice roads on the subrbs here if you didnt already know

regarding the link i posted, i too was amazed to see why the diesel never made it here nor even online on forums. but yeah your right its the export Rav4 which makes sense and which is why i never saw them. phew this has been a huge learning curve !

Edited by Madcat23

Eew....no no ! That is a side step (and a bad one at that). I am referring to something like the following and came with the chrome beading that went along it (usually the chrome beading goes along like in pic 2 and no skirt)....also if it has the wheel arch cladding (like in Pic 2) again I think the standard flaps won't work(not sure about this one).

Pic1:

toyota_vanguard_a1338114606b7640033_4_or

Pic 2:

2011-Toyota-Vanguard-SUV-001.jpg

Edited by iRage

ah now i got it ! no mine doesnt have those either and no wheel arch as in pic 2. but they do look nice eh ! humm maybe a project for later - mine looks exactly like the grey metallic one on the above pic, - same alloys Michelin tires minus the side skirts ofcourse in pearl white

this is something i certainly can use ! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Toyota-RAV4-Front-Guard-/271524031260?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f3817eb1c

Edited by Madcat23

Thanks a lot guys..it helps..this looks like a good vehicle for the given price range..do you know why this vehicle is not so popular in Sri Lanka and why Toyota chose to discontinue this model? also do you know the average fuel consumption of this vehicle ..??

Because if it is a 2wd vehicle you have to pay luxury tax and if it is 4wd you have to pay semi luxury tax.