• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Standards

GTAm

Question

There's somethign called cetane number afaik

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

Wikipedia also says [Cetane number] is a significant expression [of] diesel fuel. A number of other measurements determine overall diesel fuel quality - measures of diesel fuel quality include density, lubricity, cold-flow properties and sulfur content

Edited by Crosswind

One parameter is sulfur content;

In Sri Lanka

Normal diesel 15000ppm or more

Super Diesel 5000ppm

Recommended diesel for modern CRDI engines 500ppm or less

I think it should be 500ppm

bdw i have read some common rail engines need even less PPM than that, one example is the Navara

And most importantly IOC XTRA MILE varient which is 2 rupees expensive than regular is same as common regular diesel.

Unfortunately i have seen many 520d/Evoques and modern diesels were pumped by them. Assuming they are super diesel..

Country must have a proper standerd for this varients come by silly names and mislead customer..

I think it should be 500ppm

bdw i have read some common rail engines need even less PPM than that, one example is the Navara

Modern common rails would benefit if they had ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD), with a sulfur content between 10 - 50 ppm. Might be quite a long wait before we get that though... :sad-smiley-050:

Modern common rails would benefit if they had ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD), with a sulfur content between 10 - 50 ppm. Might be quite a long wait before we get that though... :sad-smiley-050:

We may get it after a long wait but then our CPC would say the shipment they ordered contains more sulfur than their OWN specs according to their OWN tests carried out at their OWN lab. Then they would hold press conferences and go on arguing until the public loses their interest in the core issue. The shipment would then be released under some pretext. This has been happening repeatedly for sometime and will happen again. What can we do except to pray God to save our vehicles?

• Like 1

And most importantly IOC XTRA MILE varient which is 2 rupees expensive than regular is same as common regular diesel.

Unfortunately i have seen many 520d/Evoques and modern diesels were pumped by them. Assuming they are super diesel..

Country must have a proper standerd for this varients come by silly names and mislead customer..

I use Xtramile on my U13(its doesnt have a common rail engine) and i do notice a different compared to the auto diesel

Anyone tried this new low sulphur diesel named 'Lanka Super Diesel Four Star'? Notice any difference in drive / feel / engine noise / acceleration with it when compared to super diesel?

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_14B/Aug22_1408715606CH.php

http://www.dailynews.lk/?q=local/lanka-super-diesel-four-star-enters-lankan-market-today

Is the sulphur actually only 10ppm? And which petrol shed is it available at?

I've run my Hilux 2KD on the long standing but not so widely available super diesel for almost 3 years (close to 50k KMs) and thus far had no issues.

On the low fuel light coming up, I always pump full tank, either from CF De Mel near Cinnamon Lakeside or at the Kalubowila Lanka Filling station close to Kohuwela Junct. Sense of self assurance, I guess.

On some rare occasions that I had to pump super diesel from other places, I too have noticed that there seems to be a comparatively higher number of litres being pumped than the my usual petrol sheds.

I was actually rather enthusiastic about this, waited till it was launched, ran till the light was on, changed the fuel filter, rushed to the filling station next morning for a tankful, been running on it to date. Well in terms of performance I see no gains, maybe a bit of a loss on the low-end, maybe my paranoia, however I do note that it made the engine bit smoother and quieter and a slight reduction of the emission opacity. Give it a shot!

Edited by tiv

Well you've got to believe what they say! (We do it all the time don't we?) As for availability - http://www.ceypetco.gov.lk/Super_Diesel_4star.htm - right from the horse's mouth.
I was actually rather enthusiastic about this, waited till it was launched, ran till the light was on, changed the fuel filter, rushed to the filling station next morning for a tankful, been running on it to date. Well in terms of performance I see no gains, maybe a bit of a loss on the low-end, maybe my paranoia, however I do note that it made the engine bit smoother and quieter and a slight reduction of the emission opacity. Give it a shot!

Thanks guys.

I see that both my regular sheds are on that list. Will pump maybe by next week and let you know how it feels on my 168k KMs run engine...

Is it really worth running a diesel vehicle paying LKR 145/- per litre?

Better than paying Rs. 65000+ x 4 for injectors every 10000-30000 km with En-coding fees to Toyota Lanka / Respective agent on a modern common rail.

Wouldnt it be better to buy the gasoline variant?

Can't do as many miles on a liter of gasoline as you can do with a liter of diesel. Also you don't get the same amout of torque so need higher displacement engines for torquay work like pulling stuff or transporting heavy loads.

True when wondering about the Beamers, Mercs etc but still those also the availability varies based on permits and agent prices isn't it, there maybe other factors that i'm not aware of.

In my case I'd have to opt for the Diesel variant based on the torque and the availability.

Resale value is my last concern but when we take an opinion from the general public diesels somewhat have value based on the vehicle. For Example a petrol Defender or Double cab is rather detested compared to a Petrol SUV thus this governs the importers as their business runs on catering the market. Besides i'm sure even at this cost, a stock common rail does about 15kmpl (mine is hideously less) still on the cheaper side when you do the math.

But then again repairs can rain on your parade, then again people buy hybrids knowing the system will pack sooner or later and cost a fortune but yet focus on the 'present' or momentary saving.

So I guess its a matter mostly of choice, but so far I can vouch in my personal case its still cheaper to run than a V6 gasoline (2GR-FE)

Better than paying Rs. 65000+ x 4 for injectors every 10000-30000 km with En-coding fees to Toyota Lanka / Respective agent on a modern common rail.

On my 2004 prado pump kaput b4 touch 100k due to sulphur ppm issue and had to spend more than $2k to sort the issue, lucky the Gov passed legislation making 10ppm the new standard in New Zealand now all the new vehicle owners enjoying the benefits of modern diesel technology

I have heard some Landy owners and Bmer owners ended up paying 6-7k to repair the issue due to high sulphur :speechless-smiley-004: so better spend xtra at the pump rather than paying a BIG bill to the dealer

Pumped a full tank of the new super diesel four star from the Kalubowila Ceypetco shed..done close 100km by tonight.

I got somewhat better pulling power and comparatively quieter engine :)

As I said earlier mine is a 2007 2KD-FTV manual lux with 168k KMs on the odo.

Mebe someone will substantiate my experience with theirs and I'm hopefully not talking from the placebo effect :)