• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

L Board Rules

Strikeee

Hi,

While I was driving one of my friends car with an L board on it, police pulled me over and said that I can not drive with an "L board" unless I am a training driver and they said its a wrongful thing to do that, police can take me to courts for my action.

So, I want to know about rules and regulations regarding these "L boards"

can anyone share your insight here

cheers

• Like 1

Hi,

While I was driving one of my friends car with an L board on it, police pulled me over and said that I can not drive with an "L board" unless I am a training driver and they said its a wrongful thing to do that, police can take me to courts for my action.

cheers

Strikeee,

Yes police is correct. You have to drive with a another licensed driver. Also should have the vehicle insured for unlicensed Lerner driver.

To my knowledge they give one month after the written test, to drive with a licensed driver with the L board. With all requirements of the law.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi,

cheers

If you have a valid driving license, why do you want to keep your L Board?

Also couldn't find exact information but below will be helpful.

Question : 3.

My son has not completed eighteen years of age. Can he use my private car for learning purposes?

Answer:

• For the purpose of learning to drive a Motor Vehicle a person who has attained eighteen years may notwithstanding that he not the holder of the driving licence, drive on a highway any motor vehicle, other than a motor coach, hiring car or a lorry carrying passengers or goods.
  • If you are competent to drive you can teach your son/daughter provided a L shape board is fixed to the front/rear of the vehicle. You should also obtain a learner Insurance policy. The learner should be over eighteen years of age for the trainer to obtain a learner Insurance Policy.

http://www.police.lk/index.php/traffic-police/55

Hi,

Yes I do have a valid license, which was obtained 5 yrs back. we were at a party so I took one of my friends cars to get some foods. Didint notice it was a car with L boards until police showed it to me.

Earlier, people used to drive with L boards on for couple of months even after obtaining the valid license paper. So what I want to know is, if some one obtained a valid license, he/she need to drive without L boards as soon as the the issue of license paper and is it wrong to drive with L board when u have a valid license?

I think police is wrong in this scenario. If u have valid driving licence L Board is not problem.But i don't know any vehicle other than learners training vehicles can show L board without Learners insurance.

Learners insurance need because if vehicle driven by un-licence person,

No. The police in this case is right regardless of any written rule to either support or to the contrary to their stand, because purpose of the L signboard is to warn other road users that there is a learner driver at the wheel. If the experienced drivers too go on displaying the same sign how do we discriminate between the real learner drivers and others?

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Can I start(practice) driving the car with the document, that I got after driving license written exam? My trail is in another 3 months. 

I am aware that I should have a licensed driver next to me while I drive and I should have L-board pasted?
What other rules are there? Is there a rule like you can't drive out of city limits?

15 minutes ago, Safwan Mohammed said:

Can I start(practice) driving the car with the document, that I got after driving license written exam? My trail is in another 3 months. 

I am aware that I should have a licensed driver next to me while I drive and I should have L-board pasted?
What other rules are there? Is there a rule like you can't drive out of city limits?

Hi Safwan, Welcome to the forum. This has been discussed many times before. Please search the forum. I have merged your question with an existing thread. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone tell where I can get this learner Insurance cos I tried contacting two insurance guys and they said it's only given for learner's institutes. If you know this is true or not I would appreciate if you could shed some light. If they only provide for learner's does it mean you can only learn through a learner's and not on a private vehicle? Would appreciate on someone's clarification

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
26 minutes ago, Guest30 said:

Can I overtake other vehicles in my motor bike while I’m a learner 

As a learner you are supposed to keep to the left lane at almost all times except if you are to take a U turn or merge into oncomming traffic so that you can take a turn to the right. Overtaking vehicles as much fun as it is would mean that you might have to speed at times and as a learner its not the best idea out there as you might have less experience predicting road traffic conditions and if someone drives reckless you might not be able to avoid the accident. I myself understand that sometimes there are vehicles moving way too slow in the road but as a learner i think its better for you to move along with the traffic flow or if you are still tempted to overtake, do so when the road is clear and you have a good line of sight with oncomming traffic and the vehicles behind you. Cant tell you how many times i have seen bikes go flying around because of reckless overtaking and poor decision making. Hope you ride safe!. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...