• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri (The Second)

similarnames

Yes Supra.. Those are one of my main worries. I did not keep a close eye :speechless-smiley-004: on the undercarriage during tinkering process. I may have to redo certain parts, fabricate etc..

I am little worried that i will have to keep her like this until i take her for a test run. Then we are going to unmount the motor for painting..

Machan do keep in mind that any corrosion will significantly impact the strength of the overall structure, especially if there are holes like those in the pictures. So I would suggest that before the car is even test driven that the structural issues be sorted out. Your best option would probably be to talk to someone in the racing world (Like Tokimo for example) and get a full cage plumbed in. At the same time you can discuss other reinforcements also.

Do keep in mind that even in stock tune that engine is putting out over double the power that the most powerful engine options available when the car was new were putting out, so the stresses imposed on the structure are already way over what it was designed for. When you factor in forty years of use and also the rust factor, you're looking at a serious issue from the structural strength perspective.

similarnames, I have a concern about the way the steering rack is mounted. From what I see in the very last photo, it looks like the steering rack is mounted on to two metal plates which are welded on to the front cross member. If this is correct, I doubt those tiny metal plates will be able to sustain the strain on the steering rack when the car is steered left and right. The rack is supposed to be directly bolted on to the cross member which is rigid. That is the ideal setup IMO although I understand that there is a space issue here due to the larger engine.

Also, it looks like the universal joint was welded on to the prop shaft? Getting the prop shaft balanced properly is a must after a modification like this, even the slightest misalignment will cause the car to vibrate (especially at high speeds). I'm not sure if there are places in SL that does prop shaft balancing, but this what I'm talking about:

Thanks mate.. More reinforcement is needed.. I certainly agree with you,,, I will go ahead with your suggestion.. Thank you !! Thank you !!

The propshaft balancing will be an issue as you have correctly mentioned. I might try hoseclip method or i may have to customize something like BALANCE MASTERS

http://www.balancemasters.com/home.html

http://store.balancemasters.com/osCommerce/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=262aa1b3758ca93d343250c3c15820f2

I could not access YouTube.. my office blocks youtube with Cyberoam :sad-smiley-034:

Edited by similarnames

Machan do keep in mind that any corrosion will significantly impact the strength of the overall structure, especially if there are holes like those in the pictures. So I would suggest that before the car is even test driven that the structural issues be sorted out. Your best option would probably be to talk to someone in the racing world (Like Tokimo for example) and get a full cage plumbed in. At the same time you can discuss other reinforcements also.

Do keep in mind that even in stock tune that engine is putting out over double the power that the most powerful engine options available when the car was new were putting out, so the stresses imposed on the structure are already way over what it was designed for. When you factor in forty years of use and also the rust factor, you're looking at a serious issue from the structural strength perspective.

Machan,

Your contribution is very very valuable in this !!! respect the thoughtfulness i will carefully look into those matters. I am trying to sort em out as much as i can.

• 2 weeks later...

Toaday marks a milestone in the Capri project which is already going at Snails Phase,

Sad to hear that Komi's not updating his thread.

It took me almost 3 months to prepare for this.. This does not mean it needs a lot of prep work.. but i only had few hours a week to devote to this due to my job.

However, this post is to help anyone who is struggling to figure out 1JZ-GTE VVTi wiring (JZS 171 - which is very rare) for which the internet litereature is very limited. i also followed Wilbo's diagrams (Thank you so much man.. what a great guy !!!) http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/37092272/Wiki%20-%20wilbo666http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/37092272/Wiki%20-%20wilbo666 meant for Aristo JZS 161 2JZ-GTE Vvti.

Here are the steps to fire up the motor...

1. Good grounding is a must,

2. The starter should be supplied with a direct + Batt,

3. The think wire from the main harness to the starter should be connected to the the battery + ve,

4. The ECU's BATT, B+, B1, M-REL (main EFI relay), IGN is connected to Battery +,

5. From the body harness 4-6 wires connect to Battery (the number varies among car models),

6. Fuel pump should be connected to the fuel lines, and it has to be powered.

Double check if the IGNITER has + Battery power and ground,

Ground the ECU, Ground the Igniter, and forget all other shit !

the following photos were taken by me while my frined was doing most of the work.. So the credit really goes to him. I have just been supporting him..

if anyone wants wiring help, PM me,

The following video provides most of the details of doing it on a NON VVti

I will defa make a video on this..!! and post on a later date.

1. Fuel pump in a berry bottle.. One has to be extremely careful with this !! You are working with a petrol bomb !!!

2014-10-12140737_zps9b9b849c.jpg

2. My frined making changes to original JZS 161 diagrams

2014-10-12141032_zpsddf22c01.jpg

3. All BATT wires were tagged

2014-10-12140820_zpse257566f.jpg

4. ECU connected to BATT + and the IGNITRER grounded.

2014-10-12140802_zpscfbc30a3.jpg

2014-10-12140716_zps4f07857e.jpg

2014-10-12140645_zps872c95ce.jpg

2014-10-12140706_zps5fa0eff0.jpg

Edited by similarnames
  • Like 1

Yeah men... smooth.. no vibrations ! :smilie_liebe9:

BTW, none of the accessories were connected to the motor.. i disconnected the alternator, radiator, V-belt, some neat wiring has to be done to fire it up safely (with a proper fuel tank you know ?)

Edited by similarnames
  • Like 1

Yeah men... smooth.. no vibrations ! :smilie_liebe9:

BTW, none of the accessories were connected to the motor.. i disconnected the alternator, radiator, V-belt, some neat wiring has to be done to fire it up safely (with a proper fuel tank you know ?)

Will you be using the Capri's fuel tank or doing it some other way?

• 3 months later...
Friends!

My tinker left and i urgently need one to finish rest of the work. i have some fabricartion work left to mount the intercooler and so on.

Pls PM me if you know a good tinker,

......Ah gosh darn it, i could have sworn i had a name & number listed somewhere between Big Foot, the Loch Ness monster, a unicorn & an honest politician's numbers on my phone....

lol :D

• 8 months later...

This would almost be a resurrection of my own thread. I left the car alone almost an year due to personal (financial mostly) reasons and unavailability of a reliable tinker who could visit my place everyday to do the job. Like a godsend found this person who comes every 6.30 early morning and works till 5.30 p.m. His techniques are old fashioned, takes ages to finish a panel, but quite solid. So, we did an Nissan r200 rear subframe conversion a month ago on the Capri. Now the rear wheels are too wide for flared wheel arches to keep em in. Some forum search returned remedies like Cologne flares, though many looked less accurate to me. I barely managed to add few mods to Capri sketches which i found on the web. The Famous RS3100 Cologne Capri looked too aggressive. While the law enforcement seems against the kitted cars, would be unwise to do radical mods. Guys, your valuable suggestions will be greatly appreciated deciding on flares/wheel arches.

Edited by similarnames

IMG_20151026_080331_zpswtqclu5x.jpg?t=14

Design 1 - Fender Flares Added to a Capri Mk1 Perana

IMG_20151026_080258_zpsooknbq9l.jpg

Design 2 - Custom Flares (While keeping the body-lines intact)

Please give your opinion on these..

Few more pics on the R200 LSD Rear Subframe Conversion, Awaiting Rear Coilover ConversionIMG_20151026_080002_zpskmm3za9q.jpg

Rear wheels are pushed out thanks to my careful planning :speechless-smiley-004:

IMG_20151026_075948_zpstnolipup.jpg

......Ah gosh darn it, i could have sworn i had a name & number listed somewhere between Big Foot, the Loch Ness monster, a unicorn & an honest politician's numbers on my phone....

lol :D

and a virgin prostitute! :P , but wait this is so awesome can't wait to see de end result, machan keep up the good work, awesome stuff :)

• Like 1

Hey dude, you're taking this car to new heights! The LSD is one regret I have with mine purely because it was too expensive for me.

About the flares, I think you should pull inspiration from the Perana rather than the widebody path. All wide body Capris I've seen look weird. From the picture, it doesn't seem to stick out any farther than my rear wheels. you should be able to wrap those up without a whole lot of trouble I think.

• Like 1

A small update after a long silence,

This is a video was made on the second day after we ve figured out how to fireup the motor.. A little lame though :sport-smiley-004:

now only saw this , mother of god!! pissuuu

• Like 1

• 3 months later...