• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri (The Second)

similarnames

then suggest ways, MD. i don't see you doing that. all of you just keep saying "apo charter now you've gone and done it" so where's the help the forum members are supposed to dish out? show me one place where any of you recommended any individual who the OP can get some help from. if its too expensive then find him another alternative. give him some contacts he can speak to. or even speak to him, for gods' sake how many cars have YOU done up yourself. jsut because he's not doing it the way YOU like it does that mean you shouldn't help him? wasn't that YOUR idealogy and the whole reason you jumped up in my rectum about the ricers in the first place?

and i'm the rich guy with all the money is it? aney hukey.

at least i saw sacha on facebook under my real name. not as chamara thenuwara. :P

kiss it.

• Like 4

then suggest ways, MD. i don't see you doing that. all of you just keep saying "apo charter now you've gone and done it" so where's the help the forum members are supposed to dish out? show me one place where any of you recommended any individual who the OP can get some help from. if its too expensive then find him another alternative. give him some contacts he can speak to. or even speak to him, for gods' sake how many cars have YOU done up yourself. jsut because he's not doing it the way YOU like it does that mean you shouldn't help him? wasn't that YOUR idealogy and the whole reason you jumped up in my rectum about the ricers in the first place?

and i'm the rich guy with all the money is it? aney hukey.

at least i saw sacha on facebook under my real name. not as chamara thenuwara. :P

kiss it.

Dude...There are no ''roll cage making shops'' per se.What I said was he can make one himself.He has a good welder/tinker already.Steel tubing is readily available on the market and there are places that can bend them to one's specification.There is plenty of online help too...If OP is not a complete idiot without any imagination he can do it at a fraction of the cost than your suggestion...

Since you asked,I do about 80% of the work on my cars myself...by the last count I have restored 9 cars,bought and modified 3 cars...so thats 12 in all.

it took me a awhile to figure out who this Chamara Thenuwara you were reffering to.To those who don't know he is this guy who trolled Komi on Facebook for humiliating an innocent guy's Honda.All the guy did was fix an illuminated Honda badge and that didn't sit well with Komi and his high standards...

I'm sorry to dissappoint you Komi but I'm not posting on FB under a fake name...I have two jobs,three cars under restoration while having take care of my ill dad aswell...And your pompous ego lets you believe that I drop all that and make fake profiles on facebook just to troll you...grow up dude.The world does not revolve around you.

OP sorry for the OT.but please understand as a guy whos been in your place many a time I can't let people mislead you.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

I humbly thank you all (komi, Don, MD, Vvti, Devinda ) showing interest. It appears that criticism is constructive. Especially Komi..who has been helping me do things right. I value your feedback and your comments made me put everything on a hold for a while. Meanwhile i spoke to Sacha n he said that we can talk about it during the course of next week. He was not too serious about a tubular frame, unless i had plans to take the car to race. Anyways, i will be more careful in future work.

Edited by similarnames
  • Like 1

As discussed above, it would serve you well to explore a few options before you commit. I think that Mk3 V8 build thread VVTi and I posted would be a good start to get an idea. Mind you that is being built with a specially built torque monster of an engine to be thrashed around on a rally track, so for your intents and purposes, you would not need as much fabrication work. And the guy has detailed additions to the structure before even adding the cage that I think any decent welder can sort out for you.

I think the logical thing to do is to get hold of a decent garge that you can be confident enough to carry out the job well without you having to micro manage every little detail. And get the engine compartment back in shape before dropping the engine in.

• 1 month later...

A small update on the ongoing work. The tinker is going abroad for employment next week. So accelerated his work for both time and money. Another problem!!! Had to change the rear axle to a Hilux to match torquey engine. The motor now nicely sitting in the engine bay, the only problem is guarding2014-07-15130822_zps38abcbc1.jpg2014-07-15130752_zps0b5b25d1.jpg2014-05-29135952_zpsb07cd317.jpg2014-07-15130735_zps5b7d2e5a.jpg the oil-pan

Hey dude, was wondering what you've been up to. How did the firewall go? Did you manage to strengthen the front up? That looks like a tight squeeze for a radiator, but 'm sure you'll be OK. What's up with the oil pan? sitting too low?

Oh? what's the other car?

And SN, forgot to mention earlier, if you're using the Hilux diff, double check the axle ratio. The Hilux being a pick up is geared for torque so you might lose out on the top end and cruising RPMs being higher.

Machan, The Hulux diff is from a Gasoline version. Seemed a good match for the engine.. frankly i am not 100% sure until proper road test. I am hoping that there will be lot of issues once i take her to road test (in terms of wobbling, acceleration etc.etc.) We have not touched reinforcement part as the mounting work is not over. Some careful look at the weight bearing structure made us decide some solutions to reinforce the firewall. Yet subject to change as the thing goes.. :)

Komi am flattered really!!! i really like the attention that i am getting with the new car. Today sending her for few touch-ups. Got a new bumper too (with round fog lights). I want make her look something like this..with black wheels of course !!111Protege_zps45168962.jpg

That sounds like a plan. Guess you're right, not everything can be addressed on the drawing board :)

Sweet ride you got there. I've always had a soft spot for hatches but only got to use one. And judging by my wife's attitude towards them, unlikely to own one in the future either :/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys. there have not been any updates to the project since August. Capri is resting at home waiting for the motor to fire up. I am slowly collecting things like ground wire, fuel lines to get myself prepared for the job. Seems like this particular 1JZ-GTE Vvti came off a Crown athlete/majesta (JDM only). So, wiring diagrams illustrated in English were almost non-existent. However, figured that this crown ECU has the same pin-outs of 2JZ-GTE VVti. Hope to fire her up next week. :)

The pictures were taken soon after she was brought home from the garage following engine installation. Will upload more pics on the firewall and gear box cover/mounts/etc

These show the new rear axle, extended wheel arches (for the 2nd time due to the new axle.. i am such an idiot.. i should have decided the axle mods before doing the arches ) brake installation. (Pipes need alignment !!!!)

$$$$ SHE IS SITTING ON VVTI's MASTERCRAFTS $$$$$$

2014-08-03115928_zpsb12a2ea9.jpg2014-08-03115918_zps19f7b2a4.jpg2014-08-03115902_zps2aa74e55.jpg2014-08-03115820_zpse3caaeed.jpg2014-08-16123610_zps09e53275.jpg

A little more to the previous update.. This is nothing new but some pictures of the transmission mounts, propeller shaft, and steering rack modification. The1JZ being front sumped, we had to move steering rack mounts back. The front rack mounts of the strut were repositioned as seen in the pics..

The whole undercarriage needs some TLC i.e. smoothing, grinding, undercoating

2014-09-28114157_zpsae5c14ee.jpg

2014-09-28114146_zps4fcc2b43.jpg2014-09-28113933_zps47ab2f42.jpg

Looks like i will have to re-solder the nuts :speechless-smiley-019:

2014-09-28114012_zpsbf41246c.jpg

2014-09-28113924_zps9d21a6b2.jpg2014-09-28113933_zps711ab9ee.jpg

2014-09-28113753_zps3652e21e.jpg

2014-09-28113504_zps4f2f518e.jpg

2014-09-28113321_zps3fffa0bd.jpg

Edited by similarnames

There has not been an issue cutting the firewall so far, but i am expecting both major and minor ones in the future. Strengthening it, is planned for the next few weeks (at least i hope).

Ah!! I forgot.. the Tie rod end position was also changed from the front of the strut to the rear (As you know that in Capri's, the tie rod end connects from the front of the wheel-hub)

Edited by similarnames

There's some fairly serious rust visible in those pics, I do hope you get that sorted first and foremost! I can see a few worrying looking holes in the pic of the driveshaft and various corrosion spots in other pics also.

Yes Supra.. Those are one of my main worries. I did not keep a close eye :speechless-smiley-004: on the undercarriage during tinkering process. I may have to redo certain parts, fabricate etc..

I am little worried that i will have to keep her like this until i take her for a test run. Then we are going to unmount the motor for painting..

Edited by similarnames

similarnames, I have a concern about the way the steering rack is mounted. From what I see in the very last photo, it looks like the steering rack is mounted on to two metal plates which are welded on to the front cross member. If this is correct, I doubt those tiny metal plates will be able to sustain the strain on the steering rack when the car is steered left and right. The rack is supposed to be directly bolted on to the cross member which is rigid. That is the ideal setup IMO although I understand that there is a space issue here due to the larger engine.

Also, it looks like the universal joint was welded on to the prop shaft? Getting the prop shaft balanced properly is a must after a modification like this, even the slightest misalignment will cause the car to vibrate (especially at high speeds). I'm not sure if there are places in SL that does prop shaft balancing, but this what I'm talking about:

Edited by Davy