• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri (The Second)

similarnames

Yeah they should.. The thing is get hold of a good mechanic to do that.. i mean he has to be well (i mean extremely well) equipped. The caliper alignment to the rotors must be accurate. Check whether your mechanic has a dial gauge to measure the surface perfection/flatness of the rotors. When i got em done in last september (if the memory serves) the lathe guy did not pay much attention to finish the work to perfection, hence the untidy soldering of the brackets and false nuts. I brought them home and resoldered using a mig welder.

On a side note.. Machan if your workshop guy does not have a mig welder, buy one if the cost is not a that much of a concern to you. It will help you do some clean soldering.

Edited by similarnames

That's the hitch machan. I feel like I'm missing out on the first hand experience. For one, I so want to do the carbon fiber work myself. For now I have to make do with the research and parts hunt.

Since I'm staying with the 4 stud hubs, I have to stick with Ford dics. If I manage to salvage the budget, I'm hoping to go for new discs meant to go on Sierras. If I have to resurface the exisiting discs or fit some other used disc, I'll keep this in mind :)

Guys,,

I have been contemplating on a Grille modification from Capri-Gt to RS. The OEM sells on ebay around 300-400$, which was much too expensive for my limited budget. So, did a DIY Capri RS Grille and Made something close the real thing. But i think now i would buy the real thing at the expense of my hard earned money considering the pain i went through making the new one..

So .. The GT version has 7 Aluminum leaves/beads held together with six vertical Steel holders.

mIACT0o5cErM-SReOvSZiyQ_zps49d17aa0.jpg

The RS version in contrast has 4 horizontal beads and 24-26 vertical holders to give it a mesh look.

KGrHqNoEFIstGEgCBSQz7yg60_35_zps4cbb1d77

I am sorry guys i don't have the photos of my GT Grille before dis-assembly..

Steps..

1. Parts of the GT Grille looked liked this.

Vertical holder , it has seven grooves to accommodate seven aluminum beads 2014-04-26174423_zps7d315703.jpg

2. Horizontal strip

2014-04-26161838_zpsc7699a98.jpg

3. So... took 4 horizontal stripes/beads from the GT grill to make 4 Bead RS ..

4. Made some measurements of the Vertical Holder (Step 1) with a Vernier Caliper and drafted on AUTOCAD to make a replica, but with 4 grooves.

5. Got it Laser-cut through a friend. And the finished product looked like this..

2014-04-26160247_zps29f9736a.jpg

6. Not just one... made 24 of these...Notches were made at design phase for easy bending along the longitudinal axis..

2014-04-26160304_zpsa067f326.jpg

7. Bent and finished..

2014-04-26170041_zpse3328d72.jpg

8. Aluminum beads inserted

2014-04-26170555_zpse0f383e1.jpg

9. This is how it looked from front..

10.. Now the holders need to be properly ALIGNED with top and bottom stainless steel/aluminum beads to hold the structure together..

I will update the progress....The GRILLE in not FINISHED yet...

2014-04-26170536_zpsbee9c063.jpg

Edited by similarnames

WoW! That is just amazingly neat!! I didn't even know we have laser cutting here (knew it was available for cards and stuff, but not for metal). I'm pretty sure this will look like a factory-fitted grille when it's mounted onto the car. Great job!

Inspired by DAVY of course...

I'm honoured! :)

• Like 1

Davy. I too don't know availability of metal laser cutting as a service. I got it done through Alpha safe builders !

Thanks for sharing the contact! This just opens up a whole lot of new possibilities!

Machan,

Bodywork is complete now. The engine bay still needs lot of refinement. Bt i would say the tinker has finished 50% of the engine bay work. I sort of delayed engine bay beautification until i install the motor as it might require more room. These is another offroader undergoing engine transplantation in the garage. I will have to wait another few days !! :sad-smiley-050:

Machan just go through this thread. http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=39262 This guy did some nice bracing (albeit, over the top for our applications) but since you're cutting up the front end, you might be able to pick something up.

Nice forum. I saw Hoonigan's thread also in that forum for the Capri

• 2 weeks later...