• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project Capri (The Second)

similarnames

Dear Experts,

Without hijacking Hoonigan's thread, i thought of attaching sum pics front brake and suspension upgrade of Capri Mk1

The project is going incredibly slow these days.

Here are the specs..and the pics..

Suspension..

1. Tein (used) coilover conversion kit

2. OEM strut

3. OEM Hub (redrilled to fit 5 stud wheel)

4. SKF thrust bearings

5. Cast aluminum and Heavy duty GI pipe

6. Gabriel Shocks

Brakes

(I have seen this done by a some guy in UK on his capri)

1. Toyota hilux 4 pot calipers

2. Toyota Crown Vented Disks

3. Brackets

Next Job: Plasti Dipping, Zink coating..

I will update the progress..

Edited by similarnames

Awesome! Are you doing all four and converting from the leaf springs at the back?

I can pick some pointers from you cos I have to do the five stud thing myself and of course I haven't even begun to think of suspension.

BTW, a pic of the full car would be nice :)

the engine did not arrive yet.. the dealer had not shipped it on the scheduled date. I am getting the engine sown through a panchikawatte guy, so typically, have to bear with all the BS that he was sellin. now i think he shipped it a week ago.

about the 5 stud thing. i drew a pentagon of 114.3mm in autocad. got it laser-cut on a plastic sheet. It made easy for the lathe guy make the holes. A workshop with a manual milling machine can do the job.. BTW i can give you the plastic mould if u want..

As i ve spent all my money on the engine, no plans to do rear coil spring conversion until i drop the engine in.

And i see you guys (komi n hoonigan) doing awsome on your projects

the engine did not arrive yet.. the dealer had not shipped it on the scheduled date. I am getting the engine sown through a panchikawatte guy, so typically, have to bear with all the BS that he was sellin. now i think he shipped it a week ago.

about the 5 stud thing. i drew a pentagon of 114.3mm in autocad. got it laser-cut on a plastic sheet. It made easy for the lathe guy make the holes. A workshop with a manual milling machine can do the job.. BTW i can give you the plastic mould if u want..

As i ve spent all my money on the engine, no plans to do rear coil spring conversion until i drop the engine in.

Dude you really must open up a build thread!

Hoonigan, (thought of PMing you, but posting here as others might be interested)

when i plotted the actual dimensions of Capri's hub on A-CAD, it seemed impossible to find space to drill 5 studs on a 4 stud hub

(I am not that A-CAD literate, but there a genius who helps me do these things)

the ford PCD is 108mmx4 and the BBS wheels had 114.3mmx5,

there was an overlapping of the holes, but i dint worry filling the existing holes as,

( If you try to fill the holes with High Carbon iron and try to re-drill, you may fail as the iron gets tough after welding)

The TRICK is to new make the new holes first and weld later,

See the attached CAD drawings, take a printout, but there a high change that you can go millimetrically (Clerkson, Year Unkown) wrong when you paste the paper on the hub. So i will give you the plastic mould. Give me sum time to check with the garage guy (i left those at the garage weeks ago)

@ Hoonigan- Check your email, i have sent you the CAD drawings of the hub marker,

@ Komi i will contact you.

Edited by similarnames

Thanks for the email mate. Much appreciated. As I mentioned, my wheels have a different pcd to your BBS set. But I can use your ground work for sure.

And dude, getting an engine down is harder than I thought myself. Count your prayers that you have yours is inbound.

And +1 on Supra, make it a full build thread. The engine you have coming in will make an awesome build.

Bravo! Its refreshing to see that you've prioritized the mechanicals and maintenance. :grinning-smiley-003:

All too often its the other way round where all the modifications are cosmetic and the car ends up with shit ebay lights or a hideous spoiler before even basic things like brakes or fluid changes are done.

Edited by Kavvz

Bravo! Its refreshing to see that you've prioritized the mechanicals and maintenance. :grinning-smiley-003:

All too often its the other way round where all the modifications are cosmetic and the car ends up with shit ebay lights or a hideous spoiler before even basic things like brakes or fluid changes are done.

oh that's not half the story. Rumor has it that similarnames has one hell of a motor incoming :)

• 4 weeks later...

Like Komi said, it's a quite something. And it's a feat to get the hub modded to 5 stud and the brakes converted. You're gonna need that that stopping power with that motor. What's the latest on the motor BTW? Did you get it out of the port?

Are you keeping the car white? The CF bumpers will contrast beautifully against the white. Personally, white was and still is my first choice. That was what the good doctor wanted for the 510 as well. And for the same reasons as his, I had to give in.

Bro,

Yes, i am going to repaint the car in white. There's no other choice for me either. And I ve not cleared the motor yet. Actually, a guy from Panthikawatte does that for me. Can't wait to see what has arrived (bit nervous too)..

Edited by similarnames

Bro,

Yes, i am going to repaint the car in white. There's no other choice for me either. And I ve not cleared the motor yet. Actually, a guy from Panthikawatte does that for me. Can't wait to see what has arrived (bit nervous too)..

Tell me about it! Mine's ETA end of January. Getting an importer to clear it is the best option because of the licenses required. And I'd avoid dealing with customs any day.

White is a timeless shade and suits the car. I haven't seen a white MK1 in SL either.

That's the spirit! I'm sure there will be lots to learn from your build mate, as your advice so far behind the scene helped me a lot.

speaking of which, contacted USS fiberglass thanks to you...turns out their price is chepaer than most ebay vendors I have found. And they gave the contact to a professional who will be able to do the job as well.

PS

Do you happen to have any photos of your car before you decided to beef it up? would be a great start, along with a list of mods you have done and intend to do...more photos the better :)