• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

25% Discount For Revenue License

Crosswind

Does this make any sense at all? I mean it's not like one can WAIT until the given dates to renew the licence if it is already expired.

at least those who have licenses expiring in the next two months can get something out of it.

And yes, this is to promote this as till now I haven't seen this being advertised or promoted and not many are aware of it. I have been using this for the last few years.

• Like 1

It's more than likely to encourage the use of the online service. Although the window is too narrow to entice a whole lot of new users with the discount, if the system works, I'd rather use that when mine expires than wait at the counter. A step in the right direction don't you think?

It's more than likely to encourage the use of the online service. Although the window is too narrow to entice a whole lot of new users with the discount, if the system works, I'd rather use that when mine expires than wait at the counter. A step in the right direction don't you think?

The system works alright, I've been renewing my licence through the site for the past couple of years. And yes, I'd rather get it renewed to avoid being copped, over waiting to enjoy the 25% discount while driving around with an expired licence. Just my 2 cents.

Definitely it is a step in the right direction but if the idea is to get more people to use the online facility then what they should have done was to give a substantial discount to anyone who renew their licence online, let's say, 30 days before the due date and run the campaign for a full calendar year.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Definitely it is a step in the right direction but if the idea is to get more people to use the online facility then what they should have done was to give a substantial discount to anyone who renew their licence online, let's say, 30 days before the due date and run the campaign for a full calendar year.

Exactly! This is not inline with the nature of the product they are pushing.... But nevertheless, nice to see a little bit of convenience being introduced.

This application might have never gone through a Load Test. now they will be able to do that (free of charge and in the real live deployed environment).

good strategy!

I was thinking the same thing! The vendor's probably laughing all the way to the bank with this. Considering the lack of accountability in our government sector this is what's going to happen.

1. Vendor says "yes sir yes sir it's all ready and working" and pockets a bunch of money/resources on load testing.

2. System goes live and crashes with all the traffic. Vendor says "Sir not our fault. Too many people logged on and the system crashed".

3. The Provincial Commissioner of Motor Traffic who knows jack shit about ICT says "It's Ok putha... Here, take the money and go"

4. Meanwhile users are splitting hairs over crashed systems, incomplete transactions and session time-outs until the authorities decide the system isnt good enough and scraps the whole thing...

I was thinking the same thing! The vendor's probably laughing all the way to the bank with this. Considering the lack of accountability in our government sector this is what's going to happen.

1. Vendor says "yes sir yes sir it's all ready and working" and pockets a bunch of money/resources on load testing.

2. System goes live and crashes with all the traffic. Vendor says "Sir not our fault. Too many people logged on and the system crashed".

3. The Provincial Commissioner of Motor Traffic who knows jack shit about ICT says "It's Ok putha... Here, take the money and go"

4. Meanwhile users are splitting hairs over crashed systems, incomplete transactions and session time-outs until the authorities decide the system isnt good enough and scraps the whole thing...

yes look what happens when ever a government test results go online. Have to sit a hour or two in front of the computer to get a result.

Although I have not experienced the application being offline due to being overloaded, I guess it's a possibility considering the loopholes and defects it has had in the past. All of them were in favour of the public, so I guess they were not spoken of that much.

For example, it was well known that the previous year's emission certificate could be used on the online licence renewal, again the following year; given that it is not expired (emission test certificates can only be used once per regulations).

Something that I experienced this year was that when I logged into the site to renew the licence about 30 minutes after obtaining the emission certificate, the result was returned as INVALID for the emission test. I assumed that the data has not synchronized yet so I gave it a couple of hours and tried again and the result was still INVALID. I made an inquiry and I could not get hold of anyone as there was no answer. I even tried email but by the time I got their response (after about a week or so), I had solved my problem. It was at the end of the day when the result was determined as VALID.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea sharing this, but while I was frustrated with the whole thing above, I discovered a commented out (hidden) HTML button on the site's code. When uncommented, it becomes visible on the page and allows you to bypass all validations (insurance, emission test) and takes you directly to the payment page. I was reluctant to try anything because I had already submitted the details of my car and it could still be traced back to me. :P My question is, who on earth reviews these things before being published?

Edit:
Mods, please remove the last paragraph if inappropriate.

Edited by Davy

Yes you can. But take the bus on the 19th and 20th or avoid getting busted for driving with an expired licence. ;)

Davy, is it confirmed that you can renew an expired RL online? I thought you can't, maybe there is certain period within which you can. Any detail would be helpful.

Davy, is it confirmed that you can renew an expired RL online? I thought you can't, maybe there is certain period within which you can. Any detail would be helpful.

Yes you can renew an expired revenue licence online. I have done it myelf a couple of times. In one instance it was just after a few days of expiration and in one case it was after about 3 months after expiration of the other car I had which was undergoing restoration.

Edit:

Just found out that you cannot renew online unless the licence is expired. If the licence is valid, it shows a message "This vehicle has a valid licence" and prevents you from proceeding.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if it's a good idea sharing this, but while I was frustrated with the whole thing above, I discovered a commented out (hidden) HTML button on the site's code. When uncommented, it becomes visible on the page and allows you to bypass all validations (insurance, emission test) and takes you directly to the payment page. I was reluctant to try anything because I had already submitted the details of my car and it could still be traced back to me. :P My question is, who on earth reviews these things before being published?

Noted! :)

lol I think they got you bugers, probably they are going to fix the pasges and update the site tommorow :P

From the site:

All Lanka Gate services will not be available on 7th of December 2013 from 8:30AM to 9:00PM for an urgent maintenance work.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Even with the Button enabled, Cannot Proceed to the Payment Screen.

Well if you looked around a little bit more, you would have noticed that the all the JavaScript is on the page itself. And I landed on the payment page when I called the correct method on the click event of the hidden button. Obviously the commented button didn't have a working method for the click attribute. (I wouldn't be surprised if it had) I did land on the payment page and I could have typed in the credit card details and completed the process.

I'll stop at that because I don't want people to get in trouble trying this. Plus this thread will start to look like some developers forum if we discussed the loopholes in detail.

Edited by Davy

lol I think they got you bugers, probably they are going to fix the pasges and update the site tommorow :P

From the site:

:D Good on them. It's high time they realized that the site has a lot of loopholes than they knew about.

It also looks like we have some EYE CEE TEE A employees on the forum who rang the bell.

From the site:

That damn site was not working on last Thursday night either, one of my friends couldn't get his license renewed, said something was wrong with the payment page. :D