• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol Stations You Should Avoid

Niranjan de Silva

Anyone will cheat you if given a chance. But most pump attendants are honest folks who are doing a shitty job to keep food on the tables of their families.

Problem is most customers treat them like crap and assume that since thay re less well off than the posh monkey in a Fit Hybrid who just pumped 1000 rupees of petrol, he is a thief.

I one left my credit card by mistake at the pump near OUSL. Dilly's place. I realize teh card was gone only later. when I went back, teh card was in a sealed envelope with the manager and I had to prove who I was till they gave it to me. Tipped the guy who gave the card 500 bucks to show that honesty is appreciated.

We do not, as a nation reward honesty, but punish dishonesty harshly yet all of us are dishonest ourselves.

How many of us will return extra change money if they gave extra? We are quick to accuse them of fraud if they short change us for 50 ruppes, yet how many of us will return an extra 500 rupees if they make a mistake?

Do you know that the stretch of petrol stations along Negombo Road from Peliyagoda do not pump petrol on the card unless you swipe the amount first and payment goes through? WhY? becasue people pump and are unable to pay and leave by giving some bogus number? Saying they will come back?

We have a forum to discuss this and if you collect the number of incidents of customers being shaken up, there is quite a few, but there are many many stories of customer ripping them off which they do not share in forums like these.

But many if not all cases of stories where customers are cheated, thats becasue he or she allowed it to happen.

+1 VVTI. Well said.

Anyone will cheat you if given a chance. But most pump attendants are honest folks who are doing a shitty job to keep food on the tables of their families.

Problem is most customers treat them like crap and assume that since thay re less well off than the posh monkey in a Fit Hybrid who just pumped 1000 rupees of petrol, he is a thief.

I one left my credit card by mistake at the pump near OUSL. Dilly's place. I realize teh card was gone only later. when I went back, teh card was in a sealed envelope with the manager and I had to prove who I was till they gave it to me. Tipped the guy who gave the card 500 bucks to show that honesty is appreciated.

We do not, as a nation reward honesty, but punish dishonesty harshly yet all of us are dishonest ourselves.

How many of us will return extra change money if they gave extra? We are quick to accuse them of fraud if they short change us for 50 ruppes, yet how many of us will return an extra 500 rupees if they make a mistake?

Do you know that the stretch of petrol stations along Negombo Road from Peliyagoda do not pump petrol on the card unless you swipe the amount first and payment goes through? WhY? becasue people pump and are unable to pay and leave by giving some bogus number? Saying they will come back?

We have a forum to discuss this and if you collect the number of incidents of customers being shaken up, there is quite a few, but there are many many stories of customer ripping them off which they do not share in forums like these.

But many if not all cases of stories where customers are cheated, thats becasue he or she allowed it to happen.

On that topic, once I was swiped some 300/- odd for a purchase of 3000/- odd at a cargills outlet. When I brought this to the notice of the cashier, she thought i was making trouble and called the manager/supervisor. Even that took me a good 2 mins to explain the situ. Finally, they realised their error and swiped the remaining amount as well. Although they did not look that grateful of my deed, I was happy that I did the right thing :)

• Like 1

Komosiripala,

Yes Sir, Thousand rupees is not a simple to any one today as well as for my self.

My post may be not relevant to the topic,nor helpful.

I was the only member wo spoke to CPC about last fraud by the petrol filling station which was posted to A/L.

If you think I have posted a unwanted information. Please do inform me. I will full edit my post.

Best regards,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

In your previous post you called the thousand rupees "few rupees", and in the 2nd post you say its not 'simple even for you'.

Which can mean one of 2 things

1. You lied in one of your posts

2. You're not man enough when someone cheats you. Instead you run like a coward saying "it was dark", "i have to show my face there again" blah blah blah.. are they the only petrol shed in colombo? If someone cheated me, for starters I wouldn't go show my fact and give them MORE business! Grow a pair dude!

• Like 1

In your previous post you called the thousand rupees "few rupees", and in the 2nd post you say its not 'simple even for you'.

Which can mean one of 2 things

1. You lied in one of your posts

2. You're not man enough when someone cheats you. Instead you run like a coward saying "it was dark", "i have to show my face there again" blah blah blah.. are they the only petrol shed in colombo? If someone cheated me, for starters I wouldn't go show my fact and give them MORE business! Grow a pair dude!

Guess SW might be a tad too late for that machan.... He he :sport-smiley-004:

I guess best option is stick to the honest petrol stations , where actually the forum members can jointly contribute to guide other members as well. For me the best petrol stations are the Navy petrol shed at Welisara, Laugfs Dematagoda & Bamba (Haven't tried other LAUGF facilities actually) which I always frequent on my routes and have never ever cheated to me or any parties whom i know.

Worst, Ragama Co-op, Kotahena Ceypetco just opposite Pizza Hut and the Dematagoda Ceypetco. I can write a book on those cheap bastards.

On that topic, once I was swiped some 300/- odd for a purchase of 3000/- odd at a cargills outlet. When I brought this to the notice of the cashier, she thought i was making trouble and called the manager/supervisor. Even that took me a good 2 mins to explain the situ. Finally, they realised their error and swiped the remaining amount as well. Although they did not look that grateful of my deed, I was happy that I did the right thing :)

The girls who work at Cargills are from villages and brought to Colombo on very low wages. They are shit scared of losing their jobs. So any altercation with a customer they quickly refer to the Floor manager. Don't take it personally. You did the right thing, else the poor girl would have had to fork out the cash her self. Cargills maybe the 'On your way home' for us, but they are quick to send those girls 'on their way home' for the smallest thing. I once saw a heavily pregnant cashier standing at her station. OHS law stipulates that they should be given a stool to sit and carry out their duties. Sad part was the floor manager was a woman herself. My wife went and made a fuss and they actually brought a stool for her.

• Like 3

There are many people who dont get down from their vehicles even when bying from road side vegetable and fish stalls. May be the the ownership of four wheels has hit their heads that bad. Any way the occational near to rotting fish or the carrot will end up in their bags.

This same scenario happens at the fuel station where the owners do not get down from their vehicles. People will cease the opportunity to snatch an extra buck at some time. The frequency and intensity one does such an action would I think will be determined by the level of his upbringing. As VVTI pointed out, there are two sides to such stories.

Best thing when fuelling is to take cash with you, get down when fuelling up, pay only after the pumping is completed and the cap is properly closed. There are so many vehilces running with fuel lids not closed and fuel spilled on the body.

Edited by SubZero

I never go the the petrol shed near roxy unless I can't help it. Always felt something wasn't quite right whenever I pumped from that place. I usually stick to the IOC shed next to Casserole in Mt. Lavinia, that too the first petrol pump :)

• Like 1

correct me if I am wrong. But the two best gas stations in Colombo have to be one adjacent to MGM at Bambalapitiya (Near MC) and the one near the St. Bridget Junction adjacent to St Bridget Convent. Both are IOC and there service is superb!!! I usually have this experience that when you go to the gas station only one guy pumps fuel from a single machine while others just waiting their chatting with each other and all the other pumps are not occupied at all. when you try to park your car near one of the empty pumps they signal you to remain on the queue of that particular pump that is been used. Its a pretty harassing situation mostly happening in CEYPETCO stations.

But the guys of above two do a real good job in refilling the cars with a minimum hassle and delay. This is just my experience and there may be other good stations as well. I would get my car refilled from one of these two without waiting till the light is on to go to the nearest station.

regards

correct me if I am wrong. But the two best gas stations in Colombo have to be one adjacent to MGM at Bambalapitiya (Near MC) and the one near the St. Bridget Junction adjacent to St Bridget Convent. Both are IOC and there service is superb!!! I usually have this experience that when you go to the gas station only one guy pumps fuel from a single machine while others just waiting their chatting with each other and all the other pumps are not occupied at all. when you try to park your car near one of the empty pumps they signal you to remain on the queue of that particular pump that is been used. Its a pretty harassing situation mostly happening in CEYPETCO stations.

But the guys of above two do a real good job in refilling the cars with a minimum hassle and delay. This is just my experience and there may be other good stations as well. I would get my car refilled from one of these two without waiting till the light is on to go to the nearest station.

regards

Not agreed. There are some very lazy fellows there as well.

There is not much of a difference to service depending on weather it is Ceypetco or LIOC imo.

• Like 1

Never had any issues in any of the laugfs sheds. They do give you a machine generated receipt and they swipe the card right in front of you. Other sheds that I visit frequently are IOC Borella, IOC Alexandra place, Ceypetco Rajagiriya. Never had issues with any of these but I try to avoid the one in Rajagiriya due to the sheer volume of traffic in that shed, which makes it a bit inconvenient to exercise due diligence.

I normally pump my petrol from two petrol stations in Mount Lavinia. Both are Ceypetc*'s no issue at all and sometimes I go to the IO*'s as well. Still one day I went to the Ceypetc* adjacent to the official road joining the marine drive at wellawatta (near the traffic lights). The guys pilfered Rs.500 from me.

Now to the details.

I never go to this Petrol Station, but unfortunately I went to this station on the fateful day as I wanted to check 95 octane on my vehicle.The petrol tank which consisted of 90 Octane was close to empty. So when I went there the guy pumping petrol was very friendly. Thereafter he informed me that the pump they were pumping 95 Octane.petrol was faulty. Already I had moved forward to the pump that was pumping 95 Octane and a three wheeler was parked behind me. So then I decided that the 90 Octane and 95 Octane experiment was best suited for another day. Got out of the car told the guy to pump Rs.2500 worth of fuel. He immediately started pumping as I could not see the meter resulting by the already parked three wheeler. By the time I had gotten to the meter he had already pumped more than Rs.2000. When I was trying to get close to looking at the meter he was saying "mahaththya langata enna, awith balanna". Thereafter when I started the vehicle I knew something was wrong as the tank meter was not full as normally would be, but I drove away as I could not prove his wrong doing. Now as I have the mileage I am going to go there and complain. Also I would like to be armed with information from other forum users as to;

1. What is the most correct procedure to adopt when pumping petrol to minimise the probability of getting duped?, and

2. What petrol stations are known for these wrong practices and best be avoided?

Are you refering to the Ramakirshna road Petrol Stration? if so there have been complaint against them before too

a word of advice dont sit inside the car,get down and then tell the attendant how much to pump and keep a close eye on the pump that way you will make it tough for them to cheat

Never had any issues in any of the laugfs sheds. They do give you a machine generated receipt and they swipe the card right in front of you. Other sheds that I visit frequently are IOC Borella, IOC Alexandra place, Ceypetco Rajagiriya. Never had issues with any of these but I try to avoid the one in Rajagiriya due to the sheer volume of traffic in that shed, which makes it a bit inconvenient to exercise due diligence.

Me nither, never had any issues with laugfs sheds. Used to pump from the one in thimbirigasyaya and Battaramulla-koswatta. Also I pump frequently from the one near dickmans road on galle road and the one near MC. In Kandy I always pump from Tennekumbura Petrol shed, no complaints at all. But most of the time I follow komi's steps.

The girls who work at Cargills are from villages and brought to Colombo on very low wages. They are shit scared of losing their jobs. So any altercation with a customer they quickly refer to the Floor manager. Don't take it personally. You did the right thing, else the poor girl would have had to fork out the cash her self. Cargills maybe the 'On your way home' for us, but they are quick to send those girls 'on their way home' for the smallest thing. I once saw a heavily pregnant cashier standing at her station. OHS law stipulates that they should be given a stool to sit and carry out their duties. Sad part was the floor manager was a woman herself. My wife went and made a fuss and they actually brought a stool for her.

VVTi,

This is not relevant to the topic. Because Cargill's name appeared on this thread. I post this what happened to me at Cargill's.

Your post is perfectly correct. Cargill’s sales girls are mostly from villages.

They still recently had a habit of giving cash short. I complained to their operations manager.At present they give few Cents more.

There were few occasions they sold Bluish color Chicken. Once when I opened them at home they smelled. I complained they promised to return fresh stuff to my home. Few hours passed nothing happened. I informed the municipality food inspector's department. They have connections with all leading food stores. Before they arrived to my home Cargill’s manager came with the good stuff. He had a friendly chat with municipality chaps covered the entire issue.

This how Bribery and corruption is existing in our country.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Sylvi so were too chicken to do anything when the petrol shed guy cheated you of 1000 ruppees, but you're all tough guy when a poor innocent 20 year old girl gives you a few CENTS less? You call yourself a man? We call people like you by a name starting with a 'P' and containing a 'Y'..

And your 2nd example, why did you accept the exchange of the bad chicken when you had actually made a complaint? Did the Cargils manager threaten your like the petrol shed owner did? :P

Again instead of standing up for what is right, you chicken out and say 'that is how things work'.. You sylvi are a disgrace to society. And it is because of people like you that Sri Lanka has come to such a state. what sort of morals do you have and what have you passed on to your next generation.. shame on you!

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 4

This is how bribery and corruption works in our country?

In another thread you actively advised a young man to go and BRIBE the Eco test person to get his certificate. That young man not only took your advise, he then went on to gloat over his success.

THAT, Mr. Wijesinghe, is how bribery and corruption works in our country. Because people like you encourage it.

Such hypocrisy. Makes me nauseous.

• Like 1

This is how bribery and corruption works in our country?

In another thread you actively advised a young man to go and BRIBE the Eco test person to get his certificate. That young man not only took your advise, he then went on to gloat over his success.

THAT, Mr. Wijesinghe, is how bribery and corruption works in our country. Because people like you encourage it.

Such hypocrisy. Makes me nauseous.

That's enough!...What's wrong with you?

Sure the man talks nonsense sometimes but that's not a license for for you to bash his every post over and over....Atleast consider his age!

You may think you're big shot just cos you did up some crappy cars and made a garage baas very rich...but please remember we're all equal at AL.

If you have something personal against Sylvi I will be more than happy to introduce you to him so you can hurl any abuse toward the guy face to face...Till then let the moderators do their jobs and keep Sylvi in line.

• Like 6

He just gets to me. Like I do, to you. So maybe you should ask yourself that same question and you'll find your answer.

Komisiripala,

Sir, I think according to your posts. I understand you are in NOBLE profession.

To note your posts reply to mine are pity. I forget and forgive.

If someone hits you on the side of your face, let them hit the other side too.

I am a Roman Catholic. I do not go to retaliate for posts. Like early.

Whoever above will decide the truth?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Komisiripala,

Sir, I think according to your posts. I understand you are in NOBLE profession.

To note your posts reply to mine are pity. I forget and forgive.

If someone hits you on the side of your face, let them hit the other side too.

I am a Roman Catholic. I do not go to retaliate for posts. Like early.

Whoever above will decide the truth?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What the hell! Is Komi's profession the only noble one? What about other professions. Heck, we all work really hard at our jobs. I spend 12 hours a day staring at a CCTV monitor to make sure no-one breaks into the warehouse I protect. VVTi works very hard at the veterinary clinic washing medical equipment used to breed cows. Are those not noble enough for you?

PS:

As for someone hitting you on one side of the face; in your case it goes like this. If a angry petrol shed pump operator hits one side give the other side. If a innocent 20 year old cashier girl even looks nasty at you b!tchslap her till she gets fired. Basically you don't take on anyone your own size or bigger. Just the innocent weaker subjects you come across.

Edited by Watchman

BTW, a quick survey of comments, seems most are getting bad experiences mostly from Ceypetco (my self included). Shame, I usually associate anything Indian to lorises, lemurs and other lower order primates and I support sri lankan business entities as much as possible - but now it has come to point where some crap Indian company is giving a better deal while our own Sri Lankan state owned enterprise is robbing us. State of the country ATM

• Like 2

BTW, a quick survey of comments, seems most are getting bad experiences mostly from Ceypetco (my self included). Shame, I usually associate anything Indian to lorises, lemurs and other lower order primates and I support sri lankan business entities as much as possible - but now it has come to point where some crap Indian company is giving a better deal while our own Sri Lankan state owned enterprise is robbing us. State of the country ATM

Same here dude. Unfortunately I too, have grown to prefer IOC over Ceypetco

• Like 1

I am very convinced that there are many sheds with tampered meters. I have had experience with one at Pelawatte where whenever I had filled up from there I got slightly less mileage. Not a lot but 20-25kms less from 50L fill-up. I initially thought that it's just my driving that varies. So I alternated between this one and another and every time got slightly lower mileage from this particular place. These guys probably rob the most as I guess they do it across the board in small, usually not very noticeable quantities.

The sad thing is there is no independent body policing these places. I know that there officially is a regulator who should be monitoring and policing but don't. Given the current mood in the country it is unlikely to be rectified. Therefore it's good that this topic has been brought up. It's unlikely to stop them but it's at least something.

• Like 4

Agree with GTAm's post. I too observed this & mostly pump from Lfs Koswatta, Battaramulla, Pelawatta. A full tank from Pelawatta is always more than 42ltrs while other 2 is between 40 - 41ltrs. I usually fill when low fuel indicator comes up & pump a full tank.

I am very convinced that there are many sheds with tampered meters. I have had experience with one at Pelawatte where whenever I had filled up from there I got slightly less mileage. Not a lot but 20-25kms less from 50L fill-up. I initially thought that it's just my driving that varies. So I alternated between this one and another and every time got slightly lower mileage from this particular place. These guys probably rob the most as I guess they do it across the board in small, usually not very noticeable quantities.

The sad thing is there is no independent body policing these places. I know that there officially is a regulator who should be monitoring and policing but don't. Given the current mood in the country it is unlikely to be rectified. Therefore it's good that this topic has been brought up. It's unlikely to stop them but it's at least something.

Not really machan, according to law, all pumping stations must keep a calibration can with them. A customer can demand to test the calibration of the pump if a customer suspects that the pumps are rigged. Also if a customer suspects substandard fuel, they can demand a visual inspection using some kind of a blotting paper (not a perfect technique but it works).

I know for a fact that IOC regional managers take action if a customer complains about it. They themselves are required to check pump calibrations regularly.

Only trouble is, no customer actually bothers to make a scene if they suspect something is wrong. Instead, they get their asses beaten and go on a rant thereafter.