• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol Stations You Should Avoid

Niranjan de Silva

I normally pump my petrol from two petrol stations in Mount Lavinia. Both are Ceypetc*'s no issue at all and sometimes I go to the IO*'s as well. Still one day I went to the Ceypetc* adjacent to the official road joining the marine drive at wellawatta (near the traffic lights). The guys pilfered Rs.500 from me.

Now to the details.

I never go to this Petrol Station, but unfortunately I went to this station on the fateful day as I wanted to check 95 octane on my vehicle.The petrol tank which consisted of 90 Octane was close to empty. So when I went there the guy pumping petrol was very friendly. Thereafter he informed me that the pump they were pumping 95 Octane.petrol was faulty. Already I had moved forward to the pump that was pumping 95 Octane and a three wheeler was parked behind me. So then I decided that the 90 Octane and 95 Octane experiment was best suited for another day. Got out of the car told the guy to pump Rs.2500 worth of fuel. He immediately started pumping as I could not see the meter resulting by the already parked three wheeler. By the time I had gotten to the meter he had already pumped more than Rs.2000. When I was trying to get close to looking at the meter he was saying "mahaththya langata enna, awith balanna". Thereafter when I started the vehicle I knew something was wrong as the tank meter was not full as normally would be, but I drove away as I could not prove his wrong doing. Now as I have the mileage I am going to go there and complain. Also I would like to be armed with information from other forum users as to;

1. What is the most correct procedure to adopt when pumping petrol to minimise the probability of getting duped?, and

2. What petrol stations are known for these wrong practices and best be avoided?

Any petrol station will dupe you if you aren't aware of what's going on. Instead of being a lazy bum,

1. Stop your engine.

2. Get out of the car

3. Walk to the petrol cap

4. Then tell the attendant how much you wanna pump.

It's that simple mate.

Well the above is hard and true words. I guess it is best to say how much petrol you want to pump when all the preliminary and necessary steps have been fulfilled.

this might be not possible (base on the technical layout).

is it possible to cheat people with a help of some alteration to the meter?

just like, keeping two calibration profiles that they can switch quickly (in one profile 1 Ltr will be shown for actual 900ml while the second profile shows the absolute value).

Two types of scams can happen:

1. Pump operative based: they can short change you. Pump less than instructed etc. my wife was once duped for 1500 when the guy pumped 1005 and said ok done. And quickly reset the meter. She was watching the pump but got a text and he used the opportunity. Luckily she's one tough cookie and despite him clearing the pump got her 495 worth of gas.

They can also do what they did to you

2. Owner based highly organised.

The station just after thunmulla before police park recently got caught for swiping the clients card twice in succession. They would then forge the signature from the first slip onto the second. If you don't have text alerts, you wouldn't know until the statement came. This was discovered again by a set of vigilant wives who complained to the authorities and the owner is now in jail.

Or, like you said, they can reset the pump calibration, but this is rarer because the cpc regularly checks the pumps, and there's a standard issue liter bottle for measurement at every station (required by law) and you can use it to check the pump.

Like I said. Just get out and look the pump-uncle in the eye and tell him how much. Problem solved

Edited by Komisiripala
  • Like 5

I think the petrol station which you are referring to is the one near Roxy Theatre. This station has had many complaints in the past and I was also fooled once or twice as well and I have never gone to pump fuel again over there. I have heard from a few friends as well about being cheated there. All I got to say is you can hardly prove these guys wrong. So the best thing to do is just stay away from that station.

Any petrol station will dupe you if you aren't aware of what's going on. Instead of being a lazy bum,

1. Stop your engine.

2. Get out of the car

It's that simple mate.

do exactly this way +1. I even take liberty to open and close the cap.

• Like 2

I think the petrol station which you are referring to is the one near Roxy Theatre. This station has had many complaints in the past and I was also fooled once or twice as well and I have never gone to pump fuel again over there. I have heard from a few friends as well about being cheated there. All I got to say is you can hardly prove these guys wrong. So the best thing to do is just stay away from that station.

Yes, you are correct. I am also referring to the one near Roxy.

What Suneth has told is absolute truth, even though shed owner is a good guy, most of fillers try to find some extra money.
If i drive alone, i do the exact way as Suneth described or if i have someone in back seat, i open the window and ask to monitor what he does. When these guys feel that we are careful, they don't try doing anything sneaky ! :)

One more point to note (already mentioned here) is that never let the guy walk away with your card. Pay by cash whenever you can.

Folks in Dhammika's shed in Kalubowila tried to swipe my card for 100,000 bucks once.

Wasn't that the day you saw me and Shehantha there with the tegs? Yup Dhammikas goons were the ones who tried to hoodwink my wife too

Members,

I remember some time back A/L carried a thread cheating in a filling station. I contacted the CPC and complained of that matter. CPC took immediate action to take steps. Later the filling station guy contacted me and threatened me. I was smart to put to full stop, to all that before he reacted.

This petrol station cheating is not new. From the time I remember for decades this practice was there.

This was at Flower road filling station. Some months back I pumped to fill the tank full. The amount was 3200/=Rupees. I gave the pump attendant 2 two thousand Rupee notes, he went to the cashier and turned back to me and told there is only 2000/= Rupees. I was closing the tank. I said I gave you 2 notes but he denies. Gave the balance came off. Because it was dark did not want to start argument there.

I live very close to this Petrol filling station. I have to visit there in future also.No pint in fighting for few rupees.

If you do not look into the pump before and after they cheat you. This mostly happens in out of Colombo. In Colombo they cheat mostly lady drivers. Filling to three wheelers they immediately fill your tank.

Most pumps stop pumping within few seconds when the tank is put on to auto filling. Then if you want to pump to fill the tank to the full you have to start again.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

1. Stop your engine.

2. Get out of the car

It's that simple mate.

That works!

Members,

I remember some time back A/L carried a thread cheating in a filling station. I contacted the CPC and complained of that matter. CPC took immediate action to take steps. Later the filling station guy contacted me and threatened me. I was smart to put to full stop, to all that before he reacted.

This petrol station cheating is not new. From the time I remember for decades this practice was there.

This was at Flower road filling station. Some months back I pumped to fill the tank full. The amount was 3200/=Rupees. I gave the pump attendant 2 two thousand Rupee notes, he went to the cashier and turned back to me and told there is only 2000/= Rupees. I was closing the tank. I said I gave you 2 notes but he denies. Gave the balance came off. Because it was dark did not want to start argument there.

I live very close to this Petrol filling station. I have to visit there in future also.No pint in fighting for few rupees.

If you do not look into the pump before and after they cheat you. This mostly happens in out of Colombo. In Colombo they cheat mostly lady drivers. Filling to three wheelers they immediately fill your tank.

Most pumps stop pumping within few seconds when the tank is put on to auto filling. Then if you want to pump to fill the tank to the full you have to start again.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

A thousand rupees maybe a "few" to you sir,but not to us. I read through your post but I fail to see how it is helpful or informative in any way to the person who posted this thread. Would you are to clarify?

• Like 3

Wasn't that the day you saw me and Shehantha there with the tegs? Yup Dhammikas goons were the ones who tried to hoodwink my wife too

Yup. and that's the reason why I couldn't catch up with u guys. By the time the argument was over and verification with the bank was over, you guys had fled the scene of crime

Komi do u have any problem with Mr Sylvi ??? :sad-smiley-067:

Mr. C Perera, please stick around the forum for a while. You will know the reason.

A thousand rupees maybe a "few" to you sir,but not to us. I read through your post but I fail to see how it is helpful or informative in any way to the person who posted this thread. Would you are to clarify?

Komosiripala,

Yes Sir, Thousand rupees is not a simple to any one today as well as for my self.

My post may be not relevant to the topic,nor helpful.

I was the only member who spoke to CPC about last fraud by the petrol filling station which was posted to A/L.

If you think I have posted a unwanted information. Please do inform me. I will full edit my post.

Best regards,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

C Perera, I have no issues with sylvi at all. Im someone who believes the forum should be open to all who help to foster it and make it grow.

That last reply from sylvi, would have made me raise the same questions had it been posted by anyone else. Read through it once more. In fact, let me summarize:

1. 1000 rupees is hogwash to me.

2. I called the cops on a petrol shed without a shred of evidence except hearsay and (obviously) then had the owner call me and threaten me with my life

3. I "handled" the problem. How ominous is that? Its almost like he's above the law and used political clout to get away. Sylvi aptly personifies EXACTLY what is wrong with this country right now.

3. Mostly happens outstations (all reported incidents on forum are in Colombo. I have worked in north and east for 4+ years and have come to see that those pump attendants are very honest. One dude in Kalmunai waited in watch for a week to return my petrol cap to me)

4. Mostly women are cheated. That too is false. Men are so careless when they pay the bills.

5. Pumps stop automatically when tank is full. Then you have to pump the rest manually. That's how EVERY PUMP ON THIS ISLAND WORKS!!

Now tell me how any of this is relevant or valid to the OP's question. I will grant the paragraph on the whistle blowing had he at least mentioned HOW that shed was cheating its customers...

Yes, you are correct. I am also referring to the one near Roxy.

I've been pumping from that place occasionally for about 3 years now, mainly because my office is close by; but I haven't had a problem. I too make it a point to get out of the car and tell the pump operator how much I want to pump - regardless of whether it is a full tank or just a 1000 bucks worth of fuel.

Giving them the opportunity to fool you and talking about it is a bit pointless in my opinion. Unless of course it's an organized scam as pointed out by Komi.

Anyone will cheat you if given a chance. But most pump attendants are honest folks who are doing a shitty job to keep food on the tables of their families.

Problem is most customers treat them like crap and assume that since thay re less well off than the posh monkey in a Fit Hybrid who just pumped 1000 rupees of petrol, he is a thief.

I one left my credit card by mistake at the pump near OUSL. Dilly's place. I realize teh card was gone only later. when I went back, teh card was in a sealed envelope with the manager and I had to prove who I was till they gave it to me. Tipped the guy who gave the card 500 bucks to show that honesty is appreciated.

We do not, as a nation reward honesty, but punish dishonesty harshly yet all of us are dishonest ourselves.

How many of us will return extra change money if they gave extra? We are quick to accuse them of fraud if they short change us for 50 ruppes, yet how many of us will return an extra 500 rupees if they make a mistake?

Do you know that the stretch of petrol stations along Negombo Road from Peliyagoda do not pump petrol on the card unless you swipe the amount first and payment goes through? WhY? becasue people pump and are unable to pay and leave by giving some bogus number? Saying they will come back?

We have a forum to discuss this and if you collect the number of incidents of customers being shaken up, there is quite a few, but there are many many stories of customer ripping them off which they do not share in forums like these.

But many if not all cases of stories where customers are cheated, thats becasue he or she allowed it to happen.

• Like 7

1. Stop your engine.

2. Get out of the car

It's that simple mate.

Agree with this. But as Sylvi mentioned better to count money in front of them and give because same kind of thing happened to me.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe