• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2Nd Hand Market Of The Hybrid Vehicles

bumblebee

Question

Im using a Toyota Axio.Wish to sell it and buy a new hybrid.But i wonder about its 2nd hand market.I've never heard of anyone using a second hand one..

In my opinion hybrid is more sophisticated and worth driving for its minimal fuel expenses.But on the otherhand its more like a computer and vulnerable to electronic damage and the battery is expensive;Further more, its said that long distance travel is not worthy than the short distance one.

The current gov budget proposal is more towards the supportin of the hybrids.So I hope more will be used in future and options would be available.

So is it worth to buy a hybrid regardless of the second hand value..?

I value your reply..

Bumblebee

Edited by bumblebee

Guys just a quick question (it's not related to the topic )- Can the digital speedometer manually altered/changed in a conventional cars (not hybrid or electric)? how do you check of the mileage is genuine ?

I think you're referring to Odometer. And yes its done quite commonly in SL now. Please refer to the 'Odometer tampering' thread.

The Don,

I have experience in Batteries of Automobile Lead acid and all other world manufactured Batteries. All of them have a life of limited time.

I agree to your last comment. (AT&T is not a battery company, and the issue is not one of telecommunications engineering).

AT&T cannot exist if they do not have R&D department for their requirements. This person worked in that.

Please understand Telecom engineering depends on DC. If you say that telecommunications operating Without DC Batteries.Some other way?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, batteries and DC electronics are NOT the same. It is an industry and a field of research in its own right. At the moment Sony is the leader in battery technology and a lot of companies use technology developed by them under license.

I'm all for local innovation, but we should not under estimate the task at hand. Leading automotive and electronics companies have invested trillions of dollars into this. The issue is one of components and raw materials and the age old questions of

1. How do we store more power in smaller lighter batteries

2. How to we overcome the memory effect

If you can solve these problems, you will be a billionaire and will win the nobel prize.

I think you are trivialising the problem.

Sylvi,

Wouldn't you agree that silence is golden,...... unless one is 110% sure that breaking that silence would be a positive contribution????? Just give it some thought. :)

Sylvi, batteries and DC electronics are NOT the same. It is an industry and a field of research in its own right. At the moment Sony is the leader in battery technology and a lot of companies use technology developed by them under license.

I'm all for local innovation, but we should not under estimate the task at hand. Leading automotive and electronics companies have invested trillions of dollars into this. The issue is one of components and raw materials and the age old questions of

1. How do we store more power in smaller lighter batteries

2. How to we overcome the memory effect

If you can solve these problems, you will be a billionaire and will win the nobel prize.

I think you are trivializing the problem.

The don,

Any member can write negative replies to my posts. I do not want to win the Nobel prize.

What I informed was the actual H/B a battery pack sticks, changing by one of our country man in USA.

I am not much knowledgeable in electronics, It is not the time for me to study also.

If I was 45 years of age then I can study and do help to H/B Automobile users.

R&D will go on for smaller lighter batteries and overcome the memory effect in future.

I don't think I am trivializing the problem.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Sylvi,

Wouldn't you agree that silence is golden,...... unless one is 110% sure that breaking that silence would be a positive contribution????? Just give it some thought. :)

This morning on A/L, I saw your reply post. I was waiting to meet my relative to give more information on H/B battery cell sticks replacement.

There is no reason for me to be silent, Because I am 110% positive this can be done.

I have done this to other NiMH / NCAD battery packs, cell changing when I find they are bad.

You at the moment in SL or NZ ?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

The don,

Any member can write negative replies to my posts. I do not want to win the Nobel prize.

What I informed was the actual H/B a battery pack sticks, changing by one of our country man in USA.

I am not much knowledgeable in electronics, It is not the time for me to study also.

If I was 45 years of age then I can study and do help to H/B Automobile users.

R&D will go on for smaller lighter batteries and overcome the memory effect in future.

I don't think I am trivializing the problem.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

#1. No one was offering you you a Nobel prize for you to decline.

#2. I thought your relative was in a TelCo. Unless he's a mechanic in their fleet managament, I don't know where in that industry they would use hybrid batteries. Next thing we know, you might have a relative who's a welding technician at NASA too.

Members,

I received under by Email.

Nissan design chief Shiro Nakamura and Jay Leno

Forget the Nissan Leaf's pragmatic green buyers for the moment. Nissan has big electric-car ambitions, and it's no secret that they go well beyond the automaker's Leaf hatchback.

Part of those ambitions still involve a flamboyant, all-electric sports car in the near future—a project that we asked the automaker's global design chief Shiro Nakamura about in a recent Detroit Auto Show interview.

The Leaf doesn't have a particularly daring design, concedes Nakamura, because the company wanted to expand the market and make people comfortable with EVs.

“Leaf is not that, because we wanted to make it affordable, accessible for a broader customer,” he said, adding: “At the same time electric vehicles have much more potential to go beyond normal design, with packaging.”

Electric cars with in-wheel motors: outrageous packaging benefits

Applying some of those packaging benefits, Nakamura explained, you can get to something very special for niche customers, with EVs, that you can't achieve with normal engine configuration—especially with things like the in-wheel motor technology that's been showcased both in Nissan's recent Bladeglider concept from the recent Tokyo Motor Show—as well as in the latest Pivo3 city-car concept from 2011.

Nissan BladeGlider Electric Sports Car Concept - 2013 Tokyo Motor Show live shots (preview event)

Would Nissan install in-wheel motors into a production sports-car inspired by Bladeglider? “If it goes to production, we must,” insisted Nakamura.

“It's not just at the concept level...We are making serious progress with in-wheel motors; cost is becoming less of an issue, and at a certain point we would like to use in-wheel motors.”

“There's huge potential for something unique,” he added.

How would a future electric sports car look?

As for how such a future electric sports car might look, Nakamura admitted that Bladeglider has some design attributes (like its narrow front track) that might prove insurmountable for a global product—especially with respect to safety—and that any production car would likely have to be wider in front.

2011 Nissan ESFlow concept

Instead, he pointed us to the so-called ESFLOW Concept Sport EV from the 2011 Geneva Motor Show—a car that Nissan presented in well-developed form at the time—noting that some of the essence of that car, added to Bladeglider, could be a production direction.

Looking ahead: Three design tracks for EVs

“More, we want to express the sportier, exciting part of EVs,” explained Nakamura. “And in doing that, there are two new design directions for Nissan electric vehicles—one, for a cheap city commuter type unique EV; the other for a sportier, more exciting EV with unique technology...and of course we'll have Leaf in the middle.”

If this happens, Nakamura added, Leaf will stay within the expected Nissan design cues shared with the gasoline lineup, with a hint of EV, while the city car and sports car would have their own more radical design and packaging choices.

“It has to be within the Nissan brand” for those cars, he said. “However we want to go beyond the normal Nissan.”

Members.

A/L member is underestimating our S L people working in Developed 1st Class countries. As (he's a mechanic-welding technician at NASA)

Dignity of any person, for the job whatever he or she does is not concern of others. He should understand every person has self respect.

May be he is suffering from inferiority complex, towards our own countrymen.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Actually it's nothing like that.

Had I heard of a Mr. Wijesinghe who works as an telecommunications engineer working at AT&T, my first impression of the person would be 'wow, must be smart and capable'. But what we heard was "relative of sylvi, who's trying to set up shop fixing something that he's not an expert in, and even the experts in the field don't know how to fix".

Sadly due to your track record, any person, business or product that you (sylvi) endorse is looked at with skepticism. So in fact you'll be doing the person, business,product a greater favour by NOT talking about it. I hope that clears out any doubts you had.

Love and Regards,

Watchman

PS: Sylvi, you've been mistaking this terminology for quite a while now... it's called a 1st world country. Not a 1st class country.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

HYBRID ELECTROCUTION HAZARD?

So how does a modern day hybrid vehicle compare to an electric chair? The hybrid comes

in a close second. In days gone by when criminals were executed by electrocution in an

electric chair, a initial jolt of 2000 to 2450 volts was applied to lower the resistance of the

skin. This was followed by a sustained 8 amp current of 400 to 480 volts for 20 to 30

seconds to finish "cooking" the victim. In spite of its sometimes gruesome results (charred

flesh, people bursting into flames, etc.), it was an effective means of ending a person's life.

Except for the initial high voltage jolt, a hybrid electric system has the same lethal potential.

High voltage direct current is especially dangerous because it typically causes continuous

muscular contractions that prevent the victim from "letting go." This increases the likelihood

of deep tissue burns, organ damage and death. Alternating current, by comparison, is more like to cause heart

fibrillations that may result in death. The threshold voltage where DC becomes dangerous can be as low as 55 to

60 volts, compared to 110 volts for AC. Ordinary 12 volt DC car batteries and electrical systems pose no danger,

but the high voltage secondary ignition system can give you a nasty shock (though the current is usually too low

to cause serious harm).

Some say the risk of electrocution has been greatly exaggerated and that hybrid vehicles are no more dangerous

to work on than conventional gasoline-powered vehicles. Gasoline, after all, is a highly flammable and explosive

liquid. Even so, you need to be aware of the dangers of high voltage and to treat it with respect. But many

technicians have yet to see their first hybrid electric, and may not be aware of the danger. Likewise, an

emergency rescue worker may inadvertently slice through a high voltage cable while trying to extract an accident

victim from a damaged vehicle and end up harming himself or the person he is trying to save. That's why

education is so important. People need to be aware of the danger.

One factor that increases the shock hazard to the unwary is that some hybrid vehicles are difficult to distinguish

from their conventional gasoline-powered counterparts. The Toyota Prius has a fairly unique appearance as does

the Honda Insight, but the hybrid Lexus RX 400H, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Honda Civic Hybrid and Ford

come to think of it DIY can be fun - look at the look of satisfaction in the face of that doing-it-himself lion in your profile pic.

forget my lion! YOUR profile pic still has me in stitches!! this is one time i'd actually type "lmao" and mean it to its fullest extent!

• Like 3

Members,

I fight for a cause not to be a joke to other members. I said the truth there is nothing in this world is permanent.

Man made things can go wrong. also at the same time they can be repaired.

Or find alternative methods to resurrect same.

Like we will have to go when the call comes

Forget every thing go back to topic.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

Members,

I fight for a cause not to be a joke to other members. I said the truth there is nothing in this world is permanent.

Man made things can go wrong. also at the same time they can be repaired.

Or find alternative methods to resurrect same.

Like we will have to go when the call comes

Forget every thing go back to topic.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

Condom's a man-made. Can they be repairs too if they are ripped or have a leak?

Condom's a man-made. Can they be repairs too if they are ripped or have a leak?

This IS Sri Lanka dude. everything can be repaired.

Just go meet the guy at your local tire shop. He'll def. help you.

If you're around Kandy I can suggest few tire basses.

• Like 1

How many did you get repaired? :o

Bracket,

My post is not to the topic. You have pointed tire repair my memories went back to 1975. I thought I will write.

Your post is perfectly correct. Even Tire repair men is still existing. They started in 1970 end when First tire repair factory was started in Colombo 02.

I fitted the machinery and commissioned the factory. With British engineers. They were in SL to give demonstrations of repairing from small Motor cycle tire to any big off road tire.

Even today one of those workers who worked for me, in that factory to set up is with me. He is 65 years old. I have given him to do very light work.

In Kandy road and Ja ela there are two tire workers who worked in that factory still living do active tire repairs.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1