• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2Nd Hand Market Of The Hybrid Vehicles

bumblebee

Question

Im using a Toyota Axio.Wish to sell it and buy a new hybrid.But i wonder about its 2nd hand market.I've never heard of anyone using a second hand one..

In my opinion hybrid is more sophisticated and worth driving for its minimal fuel expenses.But on the otherhand its more like a computer and vulnerable to electronic damage and the battery is expensive;Further more, its said that long distance travel is not worthy than the short distance one.

The current gov budget proposal is more towards the supportin of the hybrids.So I hope more will be used in future and options would be available.

So is it worth to buy a hybrid regardless of the second hand value..?

I value your reply..

Bumblebee

Edited by bumblebee

Been away for two weeks, and this thread has moved a lot :D

Bumblebee, if you intend to run the car only with gasoline why buy a Hybrid?

Isam,value of Hybrid dies with its battery unless you replace it..If you are going to sell your Hybrid in 5 years,it would be difficult to find a buyer otherwise..,of cause you can exchange parts..If itruns with gasoline too,then there's some hope.

Bumblebee.

The hybrid cars can run with only gasoline and gasoline-electric dual mode with the battery support.

My point is ,when the battery is out in 5-10yrs time,still they can run with gasoline(but no longer can be called hybrids).

Cant we consider this as an advantageous point in hybrids in long term...?

Open for debate........

Bumblebee

I'm pretty sure this cannot be done on Synergy Drive based hybrids as they can't run purely on Gasoline from what I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is however technically possible with Honda IMA. However, running the car on Gasoline only would have two severe impacts :

1. Vehicle would feel severely under powered without the electric motor. I have felt this on my Civic FD3 - when the hybrid battery drains completely and you accelerate hard while the battery is in this state, the car has a very noticeable lag. I think the electric motor provides around 25hp and you lose that when running purely on gasoline.

2. Fuel economy would go for a six.

As for the typical hybrid driver slowness on the road - I cannot for the life of me understand why people drive like this. In my experience I have found that driving at higher speeds actually provides better fuel economy, if you do it right (on any vehicle not just hybrids).

Isam,value of Hybrid dies with its battery unless you replace it..If you are going to sell your Hybrid in 5 years,it would be difficult to find a buyer otherwise..,of cause you can exchange parts..If itruns with gasoline too,then there's some hope.

Bumblebee.

Agree about the value proposition. But battery replacement for a hybrid is sort of a maintenance task (hopefully once in a long while). So, it should be expected at the end of the battery life. But running a car intended to run as a hybrid, purely on gasoline, would not be the best option IMO.

I'm pretty sure this cannot be done on Synergy Drive based hybrids as they can't run purely on Gasoline from what I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is however technically possible with Honda IMA. However, running the car on Gasoline only would have two severe impacts :

1. Vehicle would feel severely under powered without the electric motor. I have felt this on my Civic FD3 - when the hybrid battery drains completely and you accelerate hard while the battery is in this state, the car has a very noticeable lag. I think the electric motor provides around 25hp and you lose that when running purely on gasoline.

2. Fuel economy would go for a six.

As for the typical hybrid driver slowness on the road - I cannot for the life of me understand why people drive like this. In my experience I have found that driving at higher speeds actually provides better fuel economy, if you do it right (on any vehicle not just hybrids).

Bumblebee, here's your answer from ramishkad with first hand experience.

Replace the battery or sell the car to some poor bloke before the battery goes kaput.

Edited by isam

Members,

To my knowledge any Hybrid battery can be repaired, I have a relative of mine who is using a Hybrid car 2005 in USA. Who has come to SL for his holidays?

I had a long chat with him yesterday, about H/B Battery he has relapsed number of times Battery cells by himself. He informs me it has to be done very carefully.

He is very knowledgeable person who was with AT&T as a Telecom engineer now retreaded. He has all tools and meters to do same.

He informed me to go through you tube of Hybrid battery repair. In time to come SL electricians will start repairing Hybrid batteries.

I remember when we first had TV, all leading TV dealers used to give one to one if any TV gives trouble.Today there are thousands of TV repairers.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Members,

To my knowledge any Hybrid battery can be repaired, I have a relative of mine who is using a Hybrid car 2005 in USA. Who has come to SL for his holidays?

I had a long chat with him yesterday, about H/B Battery he has relapsed number of times Battery cells by himself. He informs me it has to be done very carefully.

He is very knowledgeable person who was with AT&T as a Telecom engineer now retreaded. He has all tools and meters to do same.

He informed me to go through you tube of Hybrid battery repair. In time to come SL electricians will start repairing Hybrid batteries.

I remember when we first had TV, all leading TV dealers used to give one to one if any TV gives trouble.Today there are thousands of TV repairers.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

Somehow I think we all would be better off not taking the advice of a "Retreaded" AT&T Telecom engineer about Hybrid battery "repairing".

Somehow I think we all would be better off not taking the advice of a "Retreaded" AT&T Telecom engineer about Hybrid battery "repairing".
Supra_Natural,

OK I think that you are trying to underestimate our own people held very high posts in other counters.

If I live few more years (70+) like staring with all necessary equipment and redoing the H/B Batteries.

Sylvi Wijesingje.

By golly, I read this as "retarded"

magey ammo, if this "retreated" telecom engineer has his way, I think the hospitals better start opening a separate ward for electrocuted DIY hybrid owners

I really want to break the flow of this conversation hence this post,

Sri Lanka sets a target of 302 for Pakistan to win in final 2 sessions........ Go Boys... lets make it 2-0

Edited by Harry (aq)

I think he meant to say retired.

Also batteries are batteries. At a certain point they lose their charging efficiency and needs to be replaced. Increasing this is one of the holy grails of battery technology.

Its a constantly evolving field. But as the recent issues with the Dreamliners show, latests is not always greatest as the newer Lithium iron batteries fitted to them had a tendency to overheat, and some airlines have now opted for older Ni-Cd batteries.

AT&T is not a battery company, and the issue is not one of telecommunications engineering.

I think he meant to say retired.

Also batteries are batteries. At a certain point they lose their charging efficiency and needs to be replaced. Increasing this is one of the holy grails of battery technology.

Its a constantly evolving field. But as the recent issues with the Dreamliners show, latests is not always greatest as the newer Lithium iron batteries fitted to them had a tendency to overheat, and some airlines have now opted for older Ni-Cd batteries.

AT&T is not a battery company, and the issue is not one of telecommunications engineering.

The Don,

I have experience in Batteries of Automobile Lead acid and all other world manufactured Batteries. All of them have a life of limited time.

I agree to your last comment. (AT&T is not a battery company, and the issue is not one of telecommunications engineering).

AT&T cannot exist if they do not have R&D department for their requirements. This person worked in that.

Please understand Telecom engineering depends on DC. If you say that telecommunications operating Without DC Batteries.Some other way?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

By golly, I read this as "retarded"

magey ammo, if this "retreated" telecom engineer has his way, I think the hospitals better start opening a separate ward for electrocuted DIY hybrid owners

Liya,

I think you have valid driving License to drive. Like same way AT&T will not appoint a person without his qualification to any of their departments.

I do a very delicate service to automobile community in S L. Did study same in USA and was in their Training department for some time.

Every day we hear some one is electrocuted and die due to their negligence and faults.

I hope you will understand what in my post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Liya,

I think you have valid driving License to drive. Like same way AT&T will not appoint a person without his qualification to any of their departments.

I do a very delicate service to automobile community in S L. Did study same in USA and was in their Training department for some time.

Every day we hear some one is electrocuted and die due to their negligence and faults.

I hope you will understand what in my post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sorry Honorable Sir, but I absolutely did not understand what you've said - BUT changing hybrid batteries for the moment are best left to the professionals, unless you are foolhardy enough to risk your life (maybe in another decade or so, the technology would be advanced enough to do it ourselves)

I feel sorry for Sylvi's relative. Getting oneself retreaded must be a really painful experience.

I feel sorry for Sylvies relative about being related to Sylvie. Retreading must be a piece of cake next to that experience.

The Don,

I have experience in Batteries of Automobile Lead acid and all other world manufactured Batteries. All of them have a life of limited time.

I agree to your last comment. (AT&T is not a battery company, and the issue is not one of telecommunications engineering).

AT&T cannot exist if they do not have R&D department for their requirements. This person worked in that.

Please understand Telecom engineering depends on DC. If you say that telecommunications operating Without DC Batteries.Some other way?

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Sylvi,

While I'm sure your relative is a professional in his area of expertise as you are are in yours, it should be remembered that neither you nor your relative have been involved in research or triaining related to hybrid automobile technology. (At least that is what I understood from your posts)

And manufacturers like Toyota or Honda have multi-million dollar R&D budgets and have the best in this specific field at their employ developing these cars and this technology. Even after all that and further post-production testing, you hear stories of them failing at various levels, from owners getting a shock to catching on fire. It is prudent to assume that these cars are best left to the professionals to meddle with, at least for now.

Letting someone dive in with a hammer and a screw driver, just because he has experience soldering circuits doesn't sound like a very bright idea to me. Don't get me wrong, I admire your spirit to set up an operation for such but I simply don't agree with your logic behind it.

Sorry Honorable Sir, but I absolutely did not understand what you've said - BUT changing hybrid batteries for the moment are best left to the professionals, unless you are foolhardy enough to risk your life (maybe in another decade or so, the technology would be advanced enough to do it ourselves)

Mr.Liya,

That is OK. You need not say sorry to my post.

Members,

There are few negative comments ( Retreading and jokes)about my post. I do not care for them They are always try to underestimate me.

I post to A/L To help members and to share my knowledge.Mostly on Automobile matters.

There are thousands of redone batteries, of Hybrid in the world. Entire know how can be picked up on the web.

Lead acid batteries were redone from the tine they went into production for many decades.

If any one is qualified in Electrical maintenance it is very easy to pick up.

I had a chat with leading Automobile battery importer. He informs to me that China is willing to give H/B battery repair technology.

Condition is that he has to purchase 1 twenty feet container new H/B, including spare cells for replacements.

China is prepared to train one person, with free training and all necessary tools.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Sylvi,

While I'm sure your relative is a professional in his area of expertise as you are are in yours, it should be remembered that neither you nor your relative have been involved in research or triaining related to hybrid automobile technology. (At least that is what I understood from your posts)

And manufacturers like Toyota or Honda have multi-million dollar R&D budgets and have the best in this specific field at their employ developing these cars and this technology. Even after all that and further post-production testing, you hear stories of them failing at various levels, from owners getting a shock to catching on fire. It is prudent to assume that these cars are best left to the professionals to meddle with, at least for now.

Letting someone dive in with a hammer and a screw driver, just because he has experience soldering circuits doesn't sound like a very bright idea to me. Don't get me wrong, I admire your spirit to set up an operation for such but I simply don't agree with your logic behind it.

Honigan,

Hammer and screw driver days have ended few decades back. Soldering circuits not only R&D officer will know. Much more than that.

I wrote how this person had changed cells which he found bad. This is done in USA Thailand and in Australia also if I am not mistaken.

I thank you for your comments on your post. As for as I know A/L do not support much of Hybrid Vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

ai me sylvi daana daana post ekata okkoma watawela gahanne ?? o.O

curious.

Bracket,

This not new, you see the amount of warning points I honorary received those. For my retaliate post to few members.

When you say "China is prepared", do you mean the Chinese government?
ramishkad

I said china means that person imports Batteries from China and Thailand.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.