• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

1,942 answers to this question

Exactly! And that's why the public transport will have to use the highways for the masses to benefit.

True, but if government had intention to benefit the masses at the beginning, they would've invested this money in making a better rail track and locomotive. Simply because by spending the cost of a kilometer of a highway, they could've constructed a kilometer of six lane rail rail track or six kilometers of a rail track. Either way the cost is low and maintenance, tire wastage, country's fuel bill would also be low as train/rail tracks are the most efficient mode of ground transportation.

True, but if government had intention to benefit the masses at the beginning, they would've invested this money in making a better rail track and locomotive. Simply because by spending the cost of a kilometer of a highway, they could've constructed a kilometer of six lane rail rail track or six kilometers of a rail track. Either way the cost is low and maintenance, tire wastage, country's fuel bill would also be low as train/rail tracks are the most efficient mode of ground transportation.

Thats exactly right. But the problem with SL is the whole management aspect of an efficient railway operation isn't it? Cant think of any better way of public transport for a small country with a relatively large population density. Dont know the exact reason why, but dont think there was ever a proper strategy behind implementing a efficient railway network rather than just maintaining the existing and extending the railway lines outstation. :( IMO, its just too bad that more focus is on doing projects which are more geared towards implementing and then wiping the hands off than going for long term sustainability. Then again, it must be easier said than done, just my two cents.

That idea I agree with.

Thats exactly right. But the problem with SL is the whole management aspect of an efficient railway operation isn't it? Cant think of any better way of public transport for a small country with a relatively large population density. Dont know the exact reason why, but dont think there was ever a proper strategy behind implementing a efficient railway network rather than just maintaining the existing and extending the railway lines outstation. :( IMO, its just too bad that more focus is on doing projects which are more geared towards implementing and then wiping the hands off than going for long term sustainability. Then again, it must be easier said than done, just my two cents.

Maintaining and extending? only extension to the rail track since the independence is the track to Mihinthale but that is at the expense of destruction of northern rail track beyond Medawachchiya or some point and the KVL (Kelani Valley Line) up to Avissawella which was earlier ran beyond Ratnapura. In terms of rail roads, we've gone backwards as in many other development aspects, at least so far.

Still I have doubts about the ROI and payback period of this two lane express-way.

Maintaining and extending? only extension to the rail track since the independence is the track to Mihinthale but that is at the expense of destruction of northern rail track beyond Medawachchiya or some point and the KVL (Kelani Valley Line) up to Avissawella which was earlier ran beyond Ratnapura. In terms of rail roads, we've gone backwards as in many other development aspects, at least so far.

Still I have doubts about the ROI and payback period of this two lane express-way.

Speaking of railways, you will be surprised to hear how many lines were removed in Sri Lanka. Here they are:

Dematagoda - Mutwal line (via Orugodawatta West, Kelanitissa, Bloemendahl) - you can still see the ruins of the stations on this line. Sometimes this line is used for carrying goods. Would have been very useful as a Colombo commuter line if this existed now.

KV Line - Avissawella to Yatiyantoda

Udupussellawa line - Nanu Oya to Ragala via Kandapola

Sabaragamuwa Line - Avissawella to Opanayake via Ratnapura

Indo-Ceylon Line - Medawachchiya to Talaimannar via Madhu Road and Murunkan

Old Puttalam line - Goes up to some place close to Mannar via Vanathavilluwa

• Like 1

The simple fact is this. No matter how many motorways we build, the most comfortable way to travel long distance would still be the railway. Also you can build railways to go twice the permitted speed of road users (130-140MPH) on existing infrastructure (I'm not speaking high speed lines here).

The problem is some of these projects are taken on simply on the basis of making a buck for a few people rather than taking into consideration the big picture. Especially within Colombo, the railways could be improved to provide a much better and regular service (in which case commuters will switch from buses to rail) and if the carriages were improved even middle classes would not shy away from using it.

I mean I don't think anybody enjoys spending hours stuck in rush hour traffic even if they are in the most fabulous car on a daily basis ! It's come to this because there isn't really any other option apart from getting packed like sardines into a bus, which themselves get stuck in traffic, and it takes the same amount of time to get to places, but you arrive in much worse a state !

• Like 1

The simple fact is this. No matter how many motorways we build, the most comfortable way to travel long distance would still be the railway. Also you can build railways to go twice the permitted speed of road users (130-140MPH) on existing infrastructure (I'm not speaking high speed lines here).

The problem is some of these projects are taken on simply on the basis of making a buck for a few people rather than taking into consideration the big picture. Especially within Colombo, the railways could be improved to provide a much better and regular service (in which case commuters will switch from buses to rail) and if the carriages were improved even middle classes would not shy away from using it.

I mean I don't think anybody enjoys spending hours stuck in rush hour traffic even if they are in the most fabulous car on a daily basis ! It's come to this because there isn't really any other option apart from getting packed like sardines into a bus, which themselves get stuck in traffic, and it takes the same amount of time to get to places, but you arrive in much worse a state !

I'm a bit of a railway enthusiast and I travel by rail quite often because I live about 15kms from Colombo. My daily rail travel is about 21kms in the morning. I leave home at 8 AM (train leaves the station at 8.05 +/- 10 mins) and reach my office at 9 AM on the dot most of the time. If I drive, I have to leave home at 7!!! Based on my personal experience, what I can say is the railway network is much better than many people think (at least in the suburbs now). The problems we had in the past were solved to a great extent by the Chinese S9 and S10 DMUs (the blue powersets). S10 DMUs have good pickup and they do travel at about 100km/h when running express.

The connecting services are excellent between main line and coast line. For example, if you come all the way from Matara or somewhere, you can get off in Fort and there will be another train leaving for somewhere like Mirigama or Polgahawela within 5 minutes time. I also have to change trains in Maradana every morning and I don't have to wait more than 5 minutes for the connecting train.

One problem I see is the stations on main line are located far from the population centers. Places like Wanawasala, Horape and Enderamulla are virtually unheard of by many. And people from populated areas like Wattala, Kadawatha for example, have to travel by bus. Another problem is public perception towards trains, which is totally wrong. That's why off-peak trains run empty between Moratuwa and Colombo but buses are packed! Some people are amazed when I say I travel all the way to Bamba from Enderamulla in less than an hour and for just 15 rupees.

We are still not perfect. Trains do get delayed by 5-10 mins nearly every day and by 15-20 mins once in about 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, things will improve more, once the third line comes up between Dematagoda and Kelaniya (which is a bottleneck right now).

The point I want to make here is many people have a poor perception of the railways in Sri Lanka, which needs to change. Our railway system is definitely not comparable with Japan or Singapore, but we are improving and hopefully we will also have a better service on KV and coast lines and the much needed metro towards Battaramulla will be a reality someday soon.

I'm a bit of a railway enthusiast and I travel by rail quite often because I live about 15kms from Colombo. My daily rail travel is about 21kms in the morning. I leave home at 8 AM (train leaves the station at 8.05 +/- 10 mins) and reach my office at 9 AM on the dot most of the time. If I drive, I have to leave home at 7!!! Based on my personal experience, what I can say is the railway network is much better than many people think (at least in the suburbs now). The problems we had in the past were solved to a great extent by the Chinese S9 and S10 DMUs (the blue powersets). S10 DMUs have good pickup and they do travel at about 100km/h when running express.

The connecting services are excellent between main line and coast line. For example, if you come all the way from Matara or somewhere, you can get off in Fort and there will be another train leaving for somewhere like Mirigama or Polgahawela within 5 minutes time. I also have to change trains in Maradana every morning and I don't have to wait more than 5 minutes for the connecting train.

One problem I see is the stations on main line are located far from the population centers. Places like Wanawasala, Horape and Enderamulla are virtually unheard of by many. And people from populated areas like Wattala, Kadawatha for example, have to travel by bus. Another problem is public perception towards trains, which is totally wrong. That's why off-peak trains run empty between Moratuwa and Colombo but buses are packed! Some people are amazed when I say I travel all the way to Bamba from Enderamulla in less than an hour and for just 15 rupees.

We are still not perfect. Trains do get delayed by 5-10 mins nearly every day and by 15-20 mins once in about 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, things will improve more, once the third line comes up between Dematagoda and Kelaniya (which is a bottleneck right now).

The point I want to make here is many people have a poor perception of the railways in Sri Lanka, which needs to change. Our railway system is definitely not comparable with Japan or Singapore, but we are improving and hopefully we will also have a better service on KV and coast lines and the much needed metro towards Battaramulla will be a reality someday soon.

Thats true to some extent, i also used to go from maradana to nugegoda during schools days.we get on the train at 1.55 and we are at nugegoda by 2.30 , pretty fast indeed but i have to point out most of the it doesnt come on 1.55 and sometimes the train changes routes like it comes to maradana then goes to colombo and again maradana then nugegoda.Damn annoying when this happens.

The only good thing we get to see is the golf course we pass through :)

Edited by The Stig

That just doesn't seem right to be called a highway, even the new Katugastota bridge seems to be wider than that

So this is the M1 of SL? Wonder when they'd start work on the Kandy-Colombo highway, hope atleast that's three lane. They've notified people here of where it'd pass through and what lands would get used. According to the original plan, there was to be a spectacular bridge near the starting point (from Kandy) of around 1km :)

Thats true to some extent, i also used to go from maradana to nugegoda during schools days.we get on the train at 1.55 and we are at nugegoda by 2.30 , pretty fast indeed but i have to point out most of the it doesnt come on 1.55 and sometimes the train changes routes like it comes to maradana then goes to colombo and again maradana then nugegoda.Damn annoying when this happens.

The only good thing we get to see is the golf course we pass through :)

Actually this line has improved if that was the case at that time. I travel in up to Homagama. Most of the time it’s on time. But it one of the worst line i have travel in around Colombo. For one it has so many bends & train take 1 Hrs to travel to Homagama (21 KM).Even if it express there is no difference. Only 5-10 min. Another things there so many stations. Some within 1 KM. Like bust stands.

As someday has said costal line between improve a lot. I used to get in to 9.10 Train from Moratuwa it’s at Bamba by 9.25.It only stop at Mount after Moratuwa.

oh boy, highways are suppose to as straight as possible aren't they ?

This thing has more bends than the "18 wanguwa" :blink:

the problem i have is how someone do 100kmph on that road :blink:

the problem i have is how someone do 100kmph on that road :blink:

More than going at 100km/h (Gannoruwa road which is like Kandy's test track for many, has many bends and people have gone upto even 150km/h), going at that speed and not crashing would be the problem. And as buses are allowed, they'd try to go at the max speed possible and I bet there'd be some roll overs due to higher COG

Edited by BLu3HaZe

That just doesn't seem right to be called a highway, even the new Katugastota bridge seems to be wider than that

So this is the M1 of SL? Wonder when they'd start work on the Kandy-Colombo highway, hope atleast that's three lane. They've notified people here of where it'd pass through and what lands would get used. According to the original plan, there was to be a spectacular bridge near the starting point (from Kandy) of around 1km :)

i agree BLu3HaZe from the look of it even gannoruwa road is wider than that even on it lot's of vehicles struggle to hit 80kmph

i agree BLu3HaZe from the look of it even gannoruwa road is wider than that even on it lot's of vehicles struggle to hit 80kmph

Err, true that Gannoruwa road is wider than this but hitting 80km/h is quite easy in that, done 100 even in a Maruti 800 but that was very unsettling, very unstable and was sliding all over the place while cornering, very little control while the tiny engine was screaming

Err, true that Gannoruwa road is wider than this but hitting 80km/h is quite easy in that, done 100 even in a Maruti 800 but that was very unsettling, very unstable and was sliding all over the place while cornering, very little control while the tiny engine was screaming

it s true but the point i making is not all can reach 100kmph on that road vans and trucks struggle to do it and in new southern expressway what will happen. :D

btw you hit 100lmph on maruti 800 must be scary feeling bro :)

it s true but the point i making is not all can reach 100kmph on that road vans and trucks struggle to do it and in new southern expressway what will happen. :D

btw you hit 100lmph on maruti 800 must be scary feeling bro :)

Ah yes, other older vehicles will struggle to maintain that speed, but as there seems to be no minimum speed limit imposed yet, they can very well do 40km/h and annoy other drivers to death rolleyes.gif

Scary yes, wouldn't have even thought of it if the road wasn't totally empty. As no one seems to know, was wondering what the max the car could do, safely. Have seen many cars run off at high speed corners.

Ah yes, other older vehicles will struggle to maintain that speed, but as there seems to be no minimum speed limit imposed yet, they can very well do 40km/h and annoy other drivers to death rolleyes.gif

Scary yes, wouldn't have even thought of it if the road wasn't totally empty. As no one seems to know, was wondering what the max the car could do, safely. Have seen many cars run off at high speed corners.

More than a maruti (doubt they'll be doin a 100 as its quite hard on maruti's to do a 100), but imagine coming up in a normal jap car like a belta or yaris (light rears and non independent rear suspension), doin a 100 km/h, over the turn with the frigging dip! tail steps out abit, how many % of sri lankan drivers will be able to correct it and keep it on the road? :unsure:

Edited by virensti