• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

Somebody needs to do something. I think what's been said in this thread is probably shared in many a quarter. There will be chaps itching to see how fast they can travel the distance. I strongly urge them to rent a race track and get their speed thrills, not in a public motorway.

You need to keep a minimum 2 car distance when you are travelling at 100+ kmph speeds

Only a month ago we had a serious motorway pile up on the M5 killing 7 and injuring 51.

I think Velocity mentioned this before as well. I love my cars and I also like speed, but I have no intention of dying early and more importantly causing death and injury to other people.

• Like 1

moreover, i saw a maruti packed with people being towed by the revocery vehicle at abt 90.

bunch of people at various point getting out of vehicles to take photos

a BMW which had parked on the emergency lane to change tires abt 100m from the pinnaduwa exit

a guy talking on the phone leisurely while driving his carina with one hand at arnd 100

a family in a car which had the mother with her baby in the front passenger seat with more kids in the back without seatbelts

Danger!

You need to keep a minimum 2 car distance when you are travelling at 100+ kmph speeds

Not to mention looking further than 2 cars ahead of you (in order to give you enough braking time etc).

Haven't been on the highway in order to see what kind of idiocy is in play there but I think there is going to be a serious set of Darwin Awards contenders there in the time to come as more and more cars enter the highway. Having driven on US highways for many years, I cannot even think of doing some of the stuff people are doing here on those roads - and this is on dead straight interstates with very wide lanes and more-than-adequate emergency lanes. At those kind of speeds, things can go very badly wrong very very fast.

• Like 2

Quite true. Considering the fact that the express-way is also only 2 lanes you're gonna have cars bouncing around between guardrails taking out everything going in that direction at the moment. And I dont know if anyone noticed the currently popular 14 car Ferrari pile up was also on a 2 lane express-way :P

Damn what a waste. That Testarosa was a complete writeoff :sad-smiley-066: Glad that nobody was seriously injured.

• Transport Ministry announces new driver penalties that work on points system

The Transport Ministry yesterday announced new traffic laws for highways that have tough consequences if violated.

Since the opening of Sri Lanka’s first highway on 27 November, there have been eight accidents with five injuries; indeed, within a few hours of the highway being opened, the first incident occurred.

Even before the highway was opened there were concerns over safety, with industry organisations pointing out that deficiencies in the construction could cause issues.

Taking this into consideration, the Transport Ministry released a Gazette notification that was passed on 5 October detailing the punishments of drivers on highways. The new rules offer a unique points system with offences being allocated a number of points and if the points exceed a certain level, then the driver will be penalised.

For example driving in a ‘recklessly or in a dangerous manner or at a dangerous speed’ will be given eight points, while failing to avoid an accident will cost the driver six points.

If a driver accumulates 24 or more points within 24 months, the license will be automatically suspended.

“The Commissioner General of Traffic shall suspend the regular driving license for a period of 12 months if the holder of the license accumulates 24 driving points. If the holder of a regular driving license exceeds every additional four driver improvement points after accumulating 24 driver improvement points, such holder of a regular license shall be liable to suspension of one month in addition to the 12 month suspension,” the Gazette notification released by the Transport Ministry said.

However, he will be given a warning before this and allowed to reduce “driver improvement points” as they are called if the person takes care not to earn any more points within a stipulated time period. If the driver after gaining points is exceptionally disciplined for a certain time period then his record can even be expunged, according to the Gazette notification.

Once the driving license is suspended, it must be handed over to the Commissioner General of Traffic and records of individual drivers will be maintained by the department. Policemen working on the highways have been charged with reporting offences to the Commissioner General of Traffic on the tenth of every month

moreover, i saw a maruti packed with people being towed by the revocery vehicle at abt 90.

bunch of people at various point getting out of vehicles to take photos

a BMW which had parked on the emergency lane to change tires abt 100m from the pinnaduwa exit

a guy talking on the phone leisurely while driving his carina with one hand at arnd 100

a family in a car which had the mother with her baby in the front passenger seat with more kids in the back without seatbelts

Danger!

On the day i went on E01 and back, i saw at least 3 Maruti 800 stopped on emergency lane and bonnet open, I think these cars are used to going at 40-60. And on highway once they are above 80-100 i guess they overheat as engines are not used those speeds.

Edited by Velocity

One of the problems I foresee here is that most of our boys have upgraded to bigger alloys and bigger tyres.

Since the speedo is not calibrated for this change, most would assume they are doing less than 100 but in fact they could be doing 110 ( few inches in height of the wheels may result in 10% or more variation with actual speed Vs whats been shown on the speedo, think this was discussed at lenght in another thread ). But the speed guns of the cops will read the correct speed.

So anyone who has upgraded from the stock tyre needs to take this in to account, specially when driving on the highway..

I am sure Insurance companies will introduce a New cover Called Expressway Coverage. because any damage to the 3rd party( In this case it can run to millions as its a expressway) insurance will have to bare it up . i am 100 percent sure they will have it as a clause when you renew it in the future. You will have to pay an extra amount on your insurance premuim just like you did for Terrorism cover :) . on another note just as i would like to drive on the new highway i dont want to die because of a moron who does not know how to drive. its time Authorites ensure that All Driving schools have proper standards to train Drivers and include Methods of Highway Driving to the Curriculum and Driving License Exams ASAP.
Hi Does any body know how is the insurance guy's inspection should happen in the high way? Most of insurance guys are coming in motor bikes. But bikes are not allowed in high way. :) Edited by Gigi

Hi Does any body know how is the insurance guy's inspection should happen in the high way? Most of insurance guys are coming in motor bikes. But bikes are not allowed in high way. :)

Even if the insurance guys do enter the highway, say in a nano cab, do you think highway patrol or recovery vehicles will sit there and wait till they come? They will have to come up with something else.

Quite true. Considering the fact that the express-way is also only 2 lanes you're gonna have cars bouncing around between guardrails taking out everything going in that direction at the moment. And I dont know if anyone noticed the currently popular 14 car Ferrari pile up was also on a 2 lane express-way :P

You know whats funny? They say the list of cars is 8 Ferraris, 1 Lambo, 3 Mercs, 1 Toyota (not sure what) and 1 PRIUS! :D They say the pileup was caused coz the lead Ferrari tried to change lanes, and lost grip on the wet road. Makes me wonder if the reason he tried to change lanes was a hypermiling Prius on the highway. That, and whether a 60 year old should be driving Ferraris at 150 on an expressway.

You know whats funny? They say the list of cars is 8 Ferraris, 1 Lambo, 3 Mercs, 1 Toyota (not sure what) and 1 PRIUS! :D They say the pileup was caused coz the lead Ferrari tried to change lanes, and lost grip on the wet road. Makes me wonder if the reason he tried to change lanes was a hypermiling Prius on the highway. That, and whether a 60 year old should be driving Ferraris at 150 on an expressway.

They say a nissan GTR was also involved. Photos show only 4 red, 1 black and 1 white ferraris involved in the smash, oh and the famous prius which was hit from behind.

ferraripileup013.jpg

Edited by Reckless

Makes me wonder if the reason he tried to change lanes was a hypermiling Prius on the highway.

According to http://autos.yahoo.com/news/eight-ferraris-wrecked-in-million-dollar-pileup-.html :

Police and video reports say the wreck began when a 60-year-old businessman from Fukushima driving a Ferrari F430 attempted to pass a Toyota Prius, but instead hit the guardrail

One of the problems I foresee here is that most of our boys have upgraded to bigger alloys and bigger tyres.

Since the speedo is not calibrated for this change, most would assume they are doing less than 100 but in fact they could be doing 110 ( few inches in height of the wheels may result in 10% or more variation with actual speed Vs whats been shown on the speedo, think this was discussed at lenght in another thread ). But the speed guns of the cops will read the correct speed.

So anyone who has upgraded from the stock tyre needs to take this in to account, specially when driving on the highway..

Isn't it the other way round. When you have bigger tires you're doing less than your speedo show.

Edited by madmax

Isn't it the other way round. When you have bigger tires you're doing less than your speedo show.

No bigger rims/tires means you're actually covering more ground per revolution of the axle i.e. going faster than indicated by the speedo (the speedo being driven by a sensor or cable attached to the output shaft of the gearbox).

• Like 2