• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

Took a drive on E01 in a Toyota Vios. Kottawa - Dodangoda and back.

Slight rain in some areas. Road not smooth along few stretches.

Quite safe upto the speed limit with proper driving.

Saw quite a few recovery vehicles in action

A Corolla that had crashed on to something, A van that had been stopped, i don't know why, and a Maruti which I assumed to have developed engine trouble.

I too went to Dodangoda exit and back to Kottawa saw the same vehicles you mentioned. Point to note, if there is a broken down vehicle on the hard shoulder the left lane is also closed off by the authorities. I guess this is because the hard shoulder can't accommodate a vehicle. Hopefully when the traffic builds up there will be more rescue vehicles to facilitate all the break downs!

Dogs are still a big problem, I had my heart in my mouth on a couple of occasions! Saw the same dogs both ways.

On a better note, and to get the petrol heads worked up....a 2nd gen Prius running on 93 octane will manage 65mpg ~ 27kmpl at a constant speed of 110 km/h!

NPP said the road isn't smooth some places, but comparing to newly built motorways in UK it's not an issue. Unless you are driving a high vehicle with totally worn off suspension!

Oh god this is scary stuff.Thanks to your CEO its 'Absolutely free beef' time to villagers..right :lol: .

MINIACE

lol good one miniace :D

i think its after that upto dodangoda. short stretches though. i think the road was patched at those places and one gets the 'taka taka' feeling similar to when going over the flyovers here.

a cow?? how did that manage to get there?

i spotted one dog while returning from dodangoda. good thing it was going away from the road. other than that a few birdies (crows i guess) were on the road inspecting but flew off. birds will fly off but would be dangerous if a kind heart person thinks that they wont fly away :)

i too heard about these dogs and crows before but untill this incident.. never heard that cows cross the road

And the cow gets cited as the udder vehicle in the accident report, I guess!

Seriously, hope the boss is OK...couple of broken hands would be no fun atall.

actually he had a broken arm. still his arm looks a bit bend.

Slightly OT, but machan Schiffer, can you tell us what caused his broken arm? Was it the seat belt, or airbag (assuming that he's a CEO, he must be driving posh new car), or something else?

Slightly OT, but machan Schiffer, can you tell us what caused his broken arm? Was it the seat belt, or airbag (assuming that he's a CEO, he must be driving posh new car), or something else?

that i have no idea mate, actually its a 2007 Toyota Prado (Petrol Version)

well it can do 100+ there are enough clips on you tube.....how steady it is no idea...........and the maruti has done 140 in a clip .... :speechless-smiley-003:

Once a TATA Nano gave me a chase and almost overtook me, I was doing 90+ at night. This was across a stretch of 5 to 6 kms. There was a section with some consecutive bends, I thought the Nano will fall back in these bends, surprisingly it took bends with me at 70kmph.

But still I doubt what will happen in a sudden braking or sudden path change.........

k donno weather you guys know about this or not

(didnt read all the previous posts)

our CEO met with an accident on the express way, he crashed into a stationed cow in the middle of the road.

he broke his hands and the vehicle had nearly 1M worth damage.

The COW thing interesting, hope not a COCK and a BULL Story :)

I took my first drive from Galanigama to Kottawa, The signalling and signage is pretty impressive. The road is smooth and one hazard I felt is that you may loose concentration due to lack of activities to do (usually we have lot of activities to do..................look for Private Bus, Three wheelers, crazy motor bikes, sudden pedestrians, honking and honking). The Manual shift owners will further feel this, just put to the top gear, and stare at the long road...........

Can be kind of making a routine feeling and make you less attentive............lot of learning to do..................

k donno weather you guys know about this or not

(didnt read all the previous posts)

our CEO met with an accident on the express way, he crashed into a stationed cow in the middle of the road.

he broke his hands and the vehicle had nearly 1M worth damage.

Are you sure he didn't hit a relative of his ?

I took my first drive from Galanigama to Kottawa, The signalling and signage is pretty impressive. The road is smooth and one hazard I felt is that you may loose concentration due to lack of activities to do (usually we have lot of activities to do..................look for Private Bus, Three wheelers, crazy motor bikes, sudden pedestrians, honking and honking). The Manual shift owners will further feel this, just put to the top gear, and stare at the long road...........

Can be kind of making a routine feeling and make you less attentive............lot of learning to do..................

I know what you mean Varuna, but you guys need to only concentrate for about 1 hour maximum for the moment. Just have pity on us who have to concentrate for hours at an end!

• Like 1

Once a TATA Nano gave me a chase and almost overtook me, I was doing 90+ at night. This was across a stretch of 5 to 6 kms. There was a section with some consecutive bends, I thought the Nano will fall back in these bends, surprisingly it took bends with me at 70kmph.

But still I doubt what will happen in a sudden braking or sudden path change.........

Are you sure it wasn't after a small drinkypoo with mates when everything felt faster stronger and better?

Are you sure it wasn't after a small drinkypoo with mates when everything felt faster stronger and better?

No mate, I do not booze :) , and the speedometer does not lie. At late nights I do enjoy this ride through a series of bends and the road is wide and well paved. I thought the Nano will fall far behind trying to take the bends at 40 or 50 max while I take at 80.......

But the Nano kept on coming..........

Later one of my friends took a Nano cab hire, the driver has taken him at 80kmph.........he said the cab was stable. And my friend is from Canada and a daily driver in HWs. He knows what stability is.

I still doubt the Nanos braking and quick direction changing abilities........also I have a feeling it will topple easily in face of a lateral force at a higher point in the body.

This is my observation and not a conclusion.

Is the speed limit strictly enforced now? Also what will happen to all these drivers who are actually going at 108 when their speedo reads 100 due to upsizing stock wheels? :D

• Like 1

I still doubt the Nanos braking and quick direction changing abilities........also I have a feeling it will topple easily in face of a lateral force at a higher point in the body.

Give me the creeps Just by looking at it. It looks highly unstable.

I've used one of those Nano cab thingy's & didn't feel very secure in it. I have felt much safer in a Alto, though given the accidents that I have witnessed on the Colombo - Negombo road they don't fair too well either. I wouldn't take a Nano on a expressway even if I was driving it.

• Like 1

No mate, I do not booze :) , and the speedometer does not lie. At late nights I do enjoy this ride through a series of bends and the road is wide and well paved. I thought the Nano will fall far behind trying to take the bends at 40 or 50 max while I take at 80.......

But the Nano kept on coming..........

interesting what is your car fella.

P.S. I forgot to add that every single driver I saw on the road adhered to the rules, driving in the left hand lane only, even the vans. The only exception was a 2011 red 6 series convertible that whizzed past at roughly around 140-150.

He had been doing 250kmph and had got to Galle in 37 minutes. Its a 640i and I just got a drive in it, did not drive but got the opportunity to ride shot gun.

interesting what is your car fella.

Allion 240 1.5L

As some one said, it's overall stability and safety is at question, but I did witness it travelling at 90kmph and negotiating bends at 70 to 80kmph. I thought it would slow down in the bends. As a second experience one of my friends has been the passenger in a Nano which has traveled at 80kmph or more while taking bends.

Edited by varunatech

Just returned from the Redbull air show in Unawatuna... from my home in colombo 05 it took us 30 mins to get to kottawa (left at 11.30am) and averaging 110 kmph to 130 kmph it took us 50 mins to get to galle... from the last exit to una was literally 5 mins as the road is fantastic even after the expressway to main galle road... The expressway is everything this country needs... from what i saw, people were actually keeping to their lanes and overtaking when needed and shifting back to the left lane...discipline was no problem... the road itself is fine! for all you complainers and whiners, trust me, i have been on waaaaaaaaaay worse highways in New York and New Jersey! There is nothing wrong with the size of the lanes or even the soft/hard shoulders... everything is clearly demarcated and done to high levels... finally we sri lankans can go down to galle and come back within a few hours and not feel tired out... fantastic!

Edited by Andrew_GTR
  • Like 5

Just returned from the Redbull air show in Unawatuna... from my home in colombo 05 it took us 30 mins to get to kottawa (left at 11.30am) and averaging 110 kmph to 130 kmph it took us 50 mins to get to galle... from the last exit to una was literally 5 mins as the road is fantastic even after the expressway to main galle road... The expressway is everything this country needs... from what i saw, people were actually keeping to their lanes and overtaking when needed and shifting back to the left lane...discipline was no problem... the road itself is fine! for all you complainers and whiners, trust me, i have been on waaaaaaaaaay worse highways in New York and New Jersey! There is nothing wrong with the size of the lanes or even the soft/hard shoulders... everything is clearly demarcated and done to high levels... finally we sri lankans can go down to galle and come back within a few hours and not feel tired out... fantastic!

Cool, this is something we all like to hear! imagine highways linking whole country like this, life in Sri Lanka will never be the same.

from my home in colombo 05 it took us 30 mins to get to kottawa

Yesterday it took me nearly a hour to get to Pannipitiya from colombo 05. Still construction work going on the highlevel and for me its prety damn slow. From nugegoda to up to maharagama is a huge bottle neck for traffic flow, it would take around 30-60mins to get to kottawa from colombo, not to mention the school traffic and office rush hour traffic. But in some areas the road has been widned and its prety good. I hope they will finish the other areas soon and reduce this bottle necks.

yes the discipline is very good indeed. but there were at least 4 vehicles stopped to take photos and enjoy the scenes!!

I went around almost the same time too. entered from Dodangoda. 35 mins to Pinnaduwa. Nice road indeed.