• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

Now here's something I didn't know:

In British English the meanings of inside and outside lanes are the reverse of US English. So in Britain, overtaking is performed using the outside lane, in the US it is termed the inside lane. In both cases, it is a lane further from the shoulder of the roadway - Wikipedia.

You learn something every day!

Little question, do we have to pay for mobile breakdown services or Highway patrol assistance when services are used?

MINIACE

I think there should be. And an additional fine/penalty for damaged caused to the road/facilities... cos I remember seeing a big ugly dent on a guard rail from the blue KDH accident.

Little question, do we have to pay for mobile breakdown services or Highway patrol assistance when services are used?

MINIACE

I am sure Insurance companies will introduce a New cover Called Expressway Coverage. because any damage to the 3rd party( In this case it can run to millions as its a expressway) insurance will have to bare it up . i am 100 percent sure they will have it as a clause when you renew it in the future. You will have to pay an extra amount on your insurance premuim just like you did for Terrorism cover :) .

on another note

just as i would like to drive on the new highway i dont want to die because of a moron who does not know how to drive.

its time Authorites ensure that All Driving schools have proper standards to train Drivers and include Methods of Highway Driving to the Curriculum and Driving License Exams ASAP.

• Like 3

Transport Minister who has no clue of road rules. Shame indeed!

in other countries they have to resign for those kind of words. what a shame. i hope there will be no accidents because some stupid VVIP thinks he can go at 180 with his set of convoy goons blaring lights and even taking the ride free.

Thanks varunatech, very useful clip

Proper side mirror adjustment is crucial, where I find near 99% of Sri Lankans are happily looking at there own vehicle edges. For people whom want to learn can get bit of help from following......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwzUE6PHk4U

http://www.caranddri...oid-blind-spots

Oh one more thing, none of the guides show what to do if the Expressway Police catches some one speeding. Will they send the ticket to the residing address or does the police car follow you and stop you,

I hope morons will not brake from 100 to 50 suddenly when they see cops with speed guns.

I recollect that on the French motorways the ordinary auto club services can't be used and it costs something like 150 or so Euro to have the special motorway team either do a quick on-th-spot fix or tow u off the motorway to a point where the auto club can start to help. And I think that the 150 had to be in cash! Quelle horreur....it's a big trap for UK motorists on the French motorwayswho are used to having the yellow AA van turn-up on call in the UK..

Oh one more thing, none of the guides show what to do if the Expressway Police catches some one speeding. Will they send the ticket to the residing address or does the police car follow you and stop you,

I hope morons will not brake from 100 to 50 suddenly when they see cops with speed guns.

The method now is they radio all cops manning near exit toll centers and alert.On exit traffic cop there hands over penalty sheets.If failed they post 'Summons' to owner of the vehicle.

MINIACE

I think there should be. And an additional fine/penalty for damaged caused to the road/facilities... cos I remember seeing a big ugly dent on a guard rail from the blue KDH accident.

For accidents yes, driver got to pay for the damages.This was clearly announced. But i need to know the situation if Patrol services and mobile assistance are obtained.

MINIACE

This is interesting.... It's called Highway එකේ හරකෙක්

(Not sure whether i'm violating AL rules)

http://www.elakiri.c...d.php?t=1261211

Reading the comments on the the posted link just reminded me that Sri Lanka is ranked high in the moron:smart index, there are even people defending the idiots who has parked the suv on the breakdown lane.

Im just gonna keep away from this thing until all the egoistic idiots are done with having and crashes and stop and have picnics in the middle of the road and what not.

Agreed its definitely an improvement in terms of road standards but for a petrolheads there are simply much much better roads that are enjoyable, most importantly with less idiots.

• Like 1

The method now is they radio all cops manning near exit toll centers and alert.On exit traffic cop there hands over penalty sheets.If failed they post 'Summons' to owner of the vehicle.

MINIACE

Further to this, If you are caught violating its a spot fine.If Cops failed to track you and had you with penalty sheets, situation is turning into a court case at the nearest intersection courts.

MINIACE

That other site is mostly full of morons, so take whatever they say with a grain of salt and then some. I traveled down the highway today for a factory visit in Horana, and the experience was over all too quickly, since I had to get off at Galanigama exit. But even then, I shaved off at least an hour of travel time (usually would have taken the Galle road instead), and a full 25kms 15kms_each way_. I only spent 10 minutes on the highway, travelling close to 120, but eased off to a hair under 100 when I saw the fuzz (twice). Coming home was even more pleasant, having left at 5:00pm, I was at home by 7:30. And that was after having stopped at the Kottawa Pizza Hut to dine in, and them having mucked up my order.

The lack of the frustrating galle road traffic, numb right leg and extreme urge to beat a cyclist's head in with his own helmet is fully worth the 300 bucks I spent at the toll booths.

P.S. I forgot to add that every single driver I saw on the road adhered to the rules, driving in the left hand lane only, even the vans. The only exception was a 2011 red 6 series convertible that whizzed past at roughly around 140-150.

Edited by terrabytetango

Now here's something I didn't know:

In British English the meanings of inside and outside lanes are the reverse of US English. So in Britain, overtaking is performed using the outside lane, in the US it is termed the inside lane. In both cases, it is a lane further from the shoulder of the roadway - Wikipedia.

You learn something every day!

Only because in US they drive on the wrong side of the road!

Guys what is your opinion on the break down lane?

If you check the training video the Pajero Jeep has one side almost touching the white colour line on the driving lane (outer lane). So vehicles will pass it just 1 - 2 feets away around 120Kmph. Isn't it too dangerous?

Machan I drove on the shoulder just to gauge the clearance, in some places its so narrow two wheels are still beyond the white line. But I believe this will be a non issue as the overtaking lane is not to be occupied, and drivers will (hopefully) for the most part simply move into that lane to avoid disabled cars.

its time Authorites ensure that All Driving schools have proper standards to train Drivers and include Methods of Highway Driving to the Curriculum and Driving License Exams ASAP.

At the very least, it's time for people to actually take and pass the driving exam instead of just paying the bribe.

Machan I drove on the shoulder just to gauge the clearance, in some places its so narrow two wheels are still beyond the white line. But I believe this will be a non issue as the overtaking lane is not to be occupied, and drivers will (hopefully) for the most part simply move into that lane to avoid disabled cars.

And I licked the cloths iron cos i wanted to see how long it took to heat up cos light doesnt seem to work.

At the very least, it's time for people to actually take and pass the driving exam instead of just paying the bribe.

I strongly believe that the process of getting a driving/riding should be made a lot harder than it currently is. It should start with

1- A set lesson plan to be followed at driving schools.

2- Pre-test by the driving school

3- Much MUCH mucch stricter test.

4- Very high application fee for repeat-applicants (who failed the test the first time)

5- Driving schools given a license to train drivers, and extension of the same assessed based on the students' pass rates. (to make sure schools dont just pass people at step 2)

And you ended up burning yourself while I... well nothing happened to me.

Nope licked it as soon as i turned it on, so nothing happened to me either.

Dude, you're just pushing your foot deeper and deeper into your own rear end. Imagine you're 'testing the width of the shoulder' and your reaching a peak of a small hill and right after the peak, there's a nice white kyron driver who's parked and taking scenery photos. and dumbass#1 runs right into the real of dumbass#2. If you still dont see my point or foresee any of the many many other possible dangers of what you did, your certainly too mentally handicapped to be driving.