• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

This just confirms what everybody thought, most of the van drivers in this country are morons. How many times you have been overtaken in the wrong side by some idiot in a van. Nothing wrong with the van I say, its just that our morons don't know how to drive. Must be thinking this is Galle road or something to do a "vettu". Thank goodness three wheelers and buses are not allowed, or where would've been stiff competition for the moron awards

++A on this post. :)

Edited by nexus

With forward control vans, don't worry about the speed, worry about the rapid stopping that happens in a decent crash! OK, some of the super-modern vans like the Mercs and the Hyundais and the VeeDubs get up to a 4-star crash rating. But look what happens with a more standard build front control van like a Mitsubishi Express when tested by ANCAP in Oz this year.....it achieved a final score of under 9 out of a possible total of 37, it got 1.34 out of a possible total of 16 for its performance in the 64kph off-set frontal crash test. Overall the Mitsubishi Express van got a one-star rating (which was likely being kind!). Want to be in a crash in one of these things? Sit there as the brake pedal moves up 371mm while the clutch pedal lurches back a massive 491mm on impact. And as these pedal changes happen, your feet are likely still pressing down on the controls. When the airbag goes off to save your head and torso, the steering wheel simultaneously moves rearwards 100mm and the A-pillar deforms 301mm in the same direction. Al least all the furgin' doors stayed shut! Oh happy days, I reckon I'd rather chance the trip on me push-bike!

With forward control vans, don't worry about the speed, worry about the rapid stopping that happens in a decent crash! OK, some of the super-modern vans like the Mercs and the Hyundais and the VeeDubs get up to a 4-star crash rating. But look what happens with a more standard build front control van like a Mitsubishi Express when tested by ANCAP in Oz this year.....it achieved a final score of under 9 out of a possible total of 37, it got 1.34 out of a possible total of 16 for its performance in the 64kph off-set frontal crash test. Overall the Mitsubishi Express van got a one-star rating (which was likely being kind!). Want to be in a crash in one of these things? Sit there as the brake pedal moves up 371mm while the clutch pedal lurches back a massive 491mm on impact. And as these pedal changes happen, your feet are likely still pressing down on the controls. When the airbag goes off to save your head and torso, the steering wheel simultaneously moves rearwards 100mm and the A-pillar deforms 301mm in the same direction. Al least all the furgin' doors stayed shut! Oh happy days, I reckon I'd rather chance the trip on me push-bike!

All the safety systems in the world won't help an idiot at the wheel.

• Like 5

ANCAP has given 3 stars to the hiace.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/reviews/ancap/commercial/toyota-hiace-2005-on-lwb-van.htm

What I don't understand is, why can they not make a informative presentation about the highway and play it regularly on national tv? Even a small segment of 10 minutes depicting the do's and don'ts would be enough. Ideally, they should have started this campaign at least 2 months prior to the opening. I mean they played that damn titanic song often enough, so why not something that's actually useful to the public?

• Like 2

Maintaining 100kmph on wet weather for some vehicales with High Centre of Gravity ( With Different Types of tyres) is extremely dangerous. I have not seen a minimum speed given for this express way. But on severe weather conditions a expressway has to have a method of informing drivers to slow down to a safer speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

The manual states to maintain a reasonably safe speed during inclement weather. But I wonder if anyone will bother to read the manual in it's entirety. 99% of the people don't remember whats in the traffic rules booklet.

Alright so there is an educational video on the highway, they really should air this on tv

Sri Lanka Expressway User Guide - SINHALA

http://www.rda.gov.lk/ An educational guide on driving and travelling on the Expressway ► http://www.facebook.com/Awesome.SriLanka ► ► http://www.facebook.com/srilankancarfans ►

Posted by I'm awesome cause I live in SRI LANKA ! on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

- Transport minister openly flaunts he broke the law in the new highway. in fact he is proud of it

- First accident is caused by over speeding

- Second accident caused by drunkenness

- Almost every news clip shows vehicles travelling on the wrong lane, taking illegal turns. another website has photos of people getting out on the highway to take pics

Those dogs in the highway have better discipline. At least they don't know they're breaking laws.

Morons

Edited by liya
  • Like 3