• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

I did the E01 this weekend as well from Colombo to Matara and back. Return trip it was heavily raining around 6.30 pm when i entered.

Please make sure you have very good wet weather tires if you are driving over 100. i was doing around 140 on some places and i felt A BIT OF http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaplaning. my tires were really good with may be 10% wasteage.

So do take care.

අධිවේගී පාරට මහ රෑ ගල් ගසති

දක්ෂීණ අධිවේගී මාර්ගයේ කුරුදු ගහ හැතැක්ම 63 වැනි කිලෝ මීටර කණුව අසළ කදු ගැටයක සිට ඉරිදා රාත්‍රී 10 පමණ අතර කාලයේදී ගල් ප්‍රහාර එල්ල කිරීමෙන් වාහන දහයකට දොළහකට පමණ අලාභ හානි සිදු වී ඇතැයි කොට්ටාව පිවිසුමට පැමිණිළි කැර ඇත.

ඇල්පිටිය පොලිස් බලප්‍රදේශයේ නවදගල, අට කොහොටදී මේ ගල් ප්‍රහාරය එල්ල කළ බවද කියයි.

-lankadeepa-

දක්ෂීණ අධිවේගී මාර්ගයේ කුරුදු ගහ හැතැක්ම 63 වැනි කිලෝ මීටර කණුව අසළ කදු ගැටයක සිට ඉරිදා රාත්‍රී 10 පමණ අතර කාලයේදී ගල් ප්‍රහාර එල්ල කිරීමෙන් වාහන දහයකට දොළහකට පමණ අලාභ හානි සිදු වී ඇතැයි කොට්ටාව පිවිසුමට පැමිණිළි කැර ඇත.

ඇල්පිටිය පොලිස් බලප්‍රදේශයේ නවදගල, අට කොහොටදී මේ ගල් ප්‍රහාරය එල්ල කළ බවද කියයි.

-lankadeepa-

Oh bummer..!! that`s a popular stunt over here as well. Retards..!

Some friends and I made a spur of the moment decision on friday night to Drive to Galle just for the hell of it...

Got on E01 at midnight exactly, arrived in Galle 55 minutes later, Night run so no dogs, cats, peacocks, igaunas and what have you and it also meant very few cars, although we did get overtaken by a 141, a Prado and a Hilux Vigo that all looked to have a death wish!

Our cars (Civic FD and B5 Passat - Not mine) basically stuck to between 100 and 120 most of the way though my pal in the Civic decided to be brave and went for it, getting to 183Kmph apparently, Maximum the Passat saw was 160 and that too only briefly cos the guy driving it decided to be sensible with the fuel (And it worked; got 13Km/l) . Returned the same night so the whole journey was just for the purpose of driving the Expressway..

In sum: Brilliant piece of work! Sure there are SOME niggles like the shoulder being a little too Narrow and the lanes probably being too narrow as well if you have trucks/buses etc. But overall it is an awesome achievement for SL. I admit I was skeptical about it before but this drive certainly set me right! Whatever the naysayers may say, make no mistake it is a great road.... Everyone should take a trip on it and see for themselves.

• Like 1

Bauwows go international! Lovely story in The Australian - Oz's national newspaper - today about the expressway and the abundance of wildlife and dogs sneaking back under restraining fences! Story was primarily sourced from the Groundviews website. Lanka is getting heaps of travel focused media coverage overseas these days. Same newspaper carried a really attractive main travel story a week or two back about the Minneriya elephant gathering. Great to see positive reads like these.

• Like 1

-lankadeepa-

-lankadeepa-

These morons r playing with human lives.....this is just utter stupidity

I did the E01 this weekend as well from Colombo to Matara and back. Return trip it was heavily raining around 6.30 pm when i entered.

Please make sure you have very good wet weather tires if you are driving over 100. i was doing around 140 on some places and i felt A BIT OF http://en.wikipedia....iki/Aquaplaning. my tires were really good with may be 10% wasteage.

So do take care.

Drove back from Galle yesterday afternoon around 3.30pm and got caught up in a heavy downpour for a short time. My front tyres were a bit worn and i felt the car aquaplane a couple of times at around 130. DSC (Traction control) cut in almost immediately. Happened on certain stretches where you get heavy streams of rainwater flowing across the road.

Some friends and I made a spur of the moment decision on friday night to Drive to Galle just for the hell of it...

Got on E01 at midnight exactly, arrived in Galle 55 minutes later, Night run so no dogs, cats, peacocks, igaunas and what have you and it also meant very few cars, although we did get overtaken by a 141, a Prado and a Hilux Vigo that all looked to have a death wish!

Our cars (Civic FD and B5 Passat - Not mine) basically stuck to between 100 and 120 most of the way though my pal in the Civic decided to be brave and went for it, getting to 183Kmph apparently, Maximum the Passat saw was 160 and that too only briefly cos the guy driving it decided to be sensible with the fuel (And it worked; got 13Km/l) . Returned the same night so the whole journey was just for the purpose of driving the Expressway..

In sum: Brilliant piece of work! Sure there are SOME niggles like the shoulder being a little too Narrow and the lanes probably being too narrow as well if you have trucks/buses etc. But overall it is an awesome achievement for SL. I admit I was skeptical about it before but this drive certainly set me right! Whatever the naysayers may say, make no mistake it is a great road.... Everyone should take a trip on it and see for themselves.

Try a early morning drive. you will love it more.

Drove back from Galle yesterday afternoon around 3.30pm and got caught up in a heavy downpour for a short time. My front tyres were a bit worn and i felt the car aquaplane a couple of times at around 130. DSC (Traction control) cut in almost immediately. Happened on certain stretches where you get heavy streams of rainwater flowing across the road.

i see a bit of fundamental flaw. it seems it collects a bit of water on heavy downpours, rather than draining it.

maybe you could have tried NOT driving at a 130kmph in "heavy downpour". That also helps :P

You remind me of that advert they play on e-fm all the time where guys boast and count up how fast they went (are going) and the doctor counts down the blood pressure of an accident victim.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Hello.... you know your tyres are worn , you can see its rain crazy, and you continue to travel at 130 where your tyres aquaplane a COUPLE of times... wow

What do you mean the traction control cut it ?

You have break the rules. do not do that again, obey the rules.

• Like 1

Legal action against over 100 motorists on the Southern Expressway

Police say that legal action has been initiated against 153 motorists for violating road rules since the opening of the Southern Expressway.

Speaking to Newsfirst Police Media Spokesperson SP Ajith Rohana noted that the charges against the

motorists include high speed driving and ignoring traffic signals.

He went onto say that fifteen accidents have taken place on the expressway during that period.

Police also request the public to refrain from walking along the expressway as there are are no

pavements and pedestrian crossings.

SP Ajith Rohana added that legal action will be taken against pedestrians found using the highway.

Tag: Sri Lanka News, Newsfirst, Lankanews

http://newsfirst.lk/...ws_more&id=7004

MINIACE

Edited by miniace