• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

yes the discipline is very good indeed. but there were at least 4 vehicles stopped to take photos and enjoy the scenes!!

Well the RDA chairman is quoted in today's papers that anyone enjoying the scenery and photographing would be persecuted.

Also there was an advertisement to similar effect (how and when to use the emergency lane).

The expressway is quite enjoyable - stress free driving. Hope the conditions remain the same (except for stray animals).

Southern Expressway: Breathtakingly beautiful

403542918L1.jpg

We drove down to Galle today on the newly opened E01 road, more commonly known as the Southern Highway / Expressway. Setting off at 6.33am, we were in Galle at 7.45am, and setting off after a leisurely breakfast at around 9.45am, we were back in Kottawa around 10.45am. Many will take this same journey in the days and weeks ahead just to experience the road, Sri Lanka’s first highway. To be able to go to Galle and return in such a short time is, for those used to the 3 – 4 hours it takes along Galle Road, nothing short of incredible.

Our impressions of the journey follow along with some photos of E01.

The drive just before sunrise, weaving through countryside as day breaks is nothing short of spectacular. It is beautiful to the point of distraction, since though driving at over one hundred kilometres an hour demands complete attention on road conditions, the eyes are in constant competition with the pull of the scenery. The complete absence of any billboards and advertising is wonderful.

There is very little traffic on the road. And yet, the toll gates in Galle and Kottawa (the Colombo side entrance) struggle to deal with traffic. There is no automated toll system / lane, there are too few lanes at the toll booths, the ticketing is manually conducted and exiting the expressway takes time on account of the payment. These are bottlenecks, and will grow worse over time as traffic flows also increase. Doesn’t seem to be room for expansion of existing tollgates, but we hope there are some plans for enhancing and increasing them at every entry and exit point.

Road conditions from Kottawa to Nugegoda vary widely. The famous ‘debichchiya‘ on High Level Road remains a bottleneck, and though the road has been considerably widened on both sides, the Delkanda Junction is also a major bottleneck. The junction is currently under construction, adding to the delays. The Maharagama area is full of pedestrian traffic. The widening of the road from Maharagama to past the Pepiliyana Junction (up until the Nugegoda flyover) has been done without any consideration at all for a pavement. People are forced to walk on the main road, amongst cyclists, three wheelers and other faster moving traffic. The newly carpeted road is considerably high in some places from the ground and for the elderly, shopping laden pedestrians as well as cyclists, this is extremely dangerous. Though another was promised, the Nugegoda fly-over is still a rather small affair, with traffic from two lanes nudged to a single lane on it. Bus halts placed too close to it, coupled with the atrocious driving habits of private buses in particular, add to the congestion. At school times, traffic basically comes to a complete standstill in this area.

What all this essentially means is that travelling from the heart of Colombo to Kottawa will take, particularly during rush hours, far more time than travelling from Kottawa to Galle.

E01 clearly cuts through the countryside. This means that it cuts through areas previously inhabited by wildlife. It is unclear how effective measures to prevent wildlife from entering the road are successful. Even during the day, the animals on the highway are a life-threatening danger. This is a serious problem, and we do not recommend driving on the road at night.

We counted at least 50 dogs on the road going to and returning from Galle. They are on the driving lane and lounge as well as sleep on the overtaking lane. The highway undulates, and upon reaching a crescent, there are occasions when corrective measures to avoid running over a dog result in driving that can lose lives. The mist that enshrouded parts of the highway in the morning makes this worse. Dogs were seen crossing the road, lolling on the emergency lane and in between the road dividers, and darting across the highway.

In addition to dogs, there are sections of the highway were low flying birds almost hit the vehicle, suggesting that the highway is cutting through what may have been traditional nesting grounds. A photo above captures the problem – we weren’t able to make out what this bird was, but it just cut across the vehicle, which at the speed one travels in, is most disconcerting.

As another photo above shows, there are also sections of the highway where there are a lot of peacocks. They literally glide down from the cliffs alongside the road, and then meander across the highway.

We didn’t see any other wildlife (e.g. cows) but the abundance of stray dogs alone poses a risk we believe can lead to serious injury and even the loss of life if unchecked.

We noticed a number of vehicles stopped by the side of road with mechanical defects, suggesting that motorists keen to experience the new highway aren’t aware of the toll it takes on a vehicle at sustained high speeds.

Police presence was marginal. Those who were roadside seemed more interested in lane discipline than checking speed. We averaged around 110 – 115kmp/h. Many cars, including for some reason a large number of unregistered vehicles and those with garage plates regularly overtook us doing upwards of 140kmp/h. Even the Minister in charge of highways publicly stated he went on the road at 180kmp/h. It is unclear therefore whether the stipulated speed is going to be strictly enforced. The road itself allows for higher speeds, but encountering a stray dog at this speed is not a physics experiment we are inclined to try or experience.

There is no signage at all with emergency telephone numbers, so if you do get stuck and need help, it’s not at all clear to dial 1969, which is the highway’s dedicated emergency hotline.

The emergency lane / hard shoulder seems far too small, and is barely wide enough for a family sized car, leave aside a larger SUV. The road itself lacks adequate rest areas for drivers to rest. Microsleep at high speed kills, and its unclear why there are so little places for R&R.

Google Maps does not feature E01. We don’t know if local satellite navigation devices and databases (e.g. Dialog SatNav) have been updated with the road either.

E01?s greatest achievement is not so much in the engineering of the road, but in its ability to make Sri Lanka smaller and more easily accessible. We imagine the road will be extensively used during the up-coming Galle Literary Festival. But aside from this, the gastronomical delights of Spaghetti & Co in Hikkaduwa to the beauty and diversity of Galle Fort now feel closer, more easily reached. It’s a great and welcome development.

(Courtesy Groundviews)

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=40354

Yesterday it took me nearly a hour to get to Pannipitiya from colombo 05. Still construction work going on the highlevel and for me its prety damn slow. From nugegoda to up to maharagama is a huge bottle neck for traffic flow, it would take around 30-60mins to get to kottawa from colombo, not to mention the school traffic and office rush hour traffic. But in some areas the road has been widned and its prety good. I hope they will finish the other areas soon and reduce this bottle necks.

Turn on to Castle Street at Senanayake Junc, and then straight towards the Parliament, turn onto the new Friendship Road, head towards the Japura Hospital, take the road to pamunawa and bang you're at the Maharagama Junc.

Just returned home from a very enjoyable drive on E01 to unawatuna for the weekend and back. never have enjoyed a SL road better. felt very proud of sri lanka.

I just do not know how to thank the authorities.

I feel this expressway should be put up to 120kmph very soon as it can handle it. My only worry is all the road kills and the danger of large animals like thalagoyas and kabarays ( almost around 6 feet long ) for vehicales driving at that speed.

Also was very sad to see a Fishing Cat ( Handun Diviya ) Dead.

I am really digging to buy a Subaru again considering if it rains on E01.

Edited by Velocity
  • Like 2

After hearing all the negative comments I was quite skeptical, but after I got on the E01 it was great. Hardly noticed any significant issue wrt the narrow lanes and there was ample space for overtaking. Was driving along side a brand new BMW 7 series & a new Mec E Class. Both cars were doing easily over 200km, The guy driving the Merc was a moron, the guy was always on the inside lane.

Anyway this E01 is the best thing that has happened to this country after ending the war...

• Like 1

That other site is mostly full of morons, so take whatever they say with a grain of salt and then some. I traveled down the highway today for a factory visit in Horana, and the experience was over all too quickly, since I had to get off at Galanigama exit. But even then, I shaved off at least an hour of travel time (usually would have taken the Galle road instead), and a full 25kms 15kms_each way_. I only spent 10 minutes on the highway, travelling close to 120, but eased off to a hair under 100 when I saw the fuzz (twice). Coming home was even more pleasant, having left at 5:00pm, I was at home by 7:30. And that was after having stopped at the Kottawa Pizza Hut to dine in, and them having mucked up my order.

The lack of the frustrating galle road traffic, numb right leg and extreme urge to beat a cyclist's head in with his own helmet is fully worth the 300 bucks I spent at the toll booths.

P.S. I forgot to add that every single driver I saw on the road adhered to the rules, driving in the left hand lane only, even the vans. The only exception was a 2011 red 6 series convertible that whizzed past at roughly around 140-150.

Are you sure you paid 300 bucks ?, they charged me only Rs 200/= from Kottawa to Galinigama. Looks like there is a scan or have they increased the charges ?

Yesterday I had the opportunity to enjoy the fantastic ride on the high way. I left my home at 03.20 P.M. and reached Makumbura(from Malabe) at 03.44 P.M. I was at Pinnaduwa sharp at 04.30 P.M. Excellent road conditions and saw few stray dogs and couple of carcasses of dogs.

Cows comming in to the road is impossible. Somebody in this forum has claimed of an accident related to a cow may be a rumour. It is possible on exit roads perhaps but not on the main road and also officials there are not aware of a this type of an accident.

Any way pride to have an excellent high way in our beautiful country.

never have enjoyed a SL road better. felt very proud of sri lanka.

I just do not know how to thank the authorities.

Felt the same way...was very emotional when I was explaining my kids how this was launched in early 00s and my involvements since day 001. I was a very happy E01 customer...no complaints.

MINIACE

Are you sure you paid 300 bucks ?, they charged me only Rs 200/= from Kottawa to Galinigama. Looks like there is a scan or have they increased the charges ?

150/- Kottawa to Galanigama and vice versa, 300/- in total. Looks like you paid extra? I can post a photo of the tickets if that will help.

Turn on to Castle Street at Senanayake Junc, and then straight towards the Parliament, turn onto the new Friendship Road, head towards the Japura Hospital, take the road to pamunawa and bang you're at the Maharagama Junc.

I think turning left after the friendship road to Thalawathugoda and then heading to Kottawa from there is easier. Less traffic as well. They have already started the widening so should be better very soon.

150/- Kottawa to Galanigama and vice versa, 300/- in total. Looks like you paid extra? I can post a photo of the tickets if that will help.

it should be 150/-

Sorry. sorry.. my bad. I paid Rs 200/= form Kottawa to Dodangoda, For some reason I got it mixed up with Galigama.

Awesome Drive..

It took me exactly 37 Mins from Kottawa Entrance to Galle Exit.

94.1 Kms. Average speed 152 kmph

Max speed 185kmph.

120 kmph is safe speed.

Whats Bad? Dogs passing.

Whats good? Nice view :)

Keep in mind, now cops are there with speed guns

Keep in mind, now cops are there with speed guns

I was like "I dont give a shit" wanted to try it once for the heck of it :) next time will drive according to the rules :)

Accident at 180 is going to spell "DISASTER" but it was fun.

Was driving along side a brand new BMW 7 series & a new Mec E Class. Both cars were doing easily over 200km, The guy driving the Merc was a moron, the guy was always on the inside lane.

Does this mean you were driving at easily over 200km as well?

this might have been posted before. but since we're talking about speed...worth a watch. made me think twice...

!

Speaking of which, has anyone seen any large commercial vehicles on the highway?

this might have been posted before. but since we're talking about speed...worth a watch. made me think twice...

!

I think ripper brought out a good point.

Other than people who have gone for a track day or driven in a highway dont know what driving at an excess of 100kmph feels like nor do they have the required level of experience when it comes to fish tailing or under steering situations. If the government introduced some sort of training or a licensing system to drive in the highway we would have less crashes and less idiots like the one who is bragging on about how he did 180 on the road !

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 2