• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

1,942 answers to this question

I don't mind having two lanes and some space for hard shoulder per side. But if the lanes are as narrow as everyone here makes them out to be, this'll be useless. I really hope this won’t be just another show piece from the chinthanaya as we badly need an upgrade to the aging infrastructure.

u guys r making a lot of assumptions by just looking at a couple of pics

From the evidence shown, they're not just assumptions.... Anyone who's been abroad to a country that has successfully implemented a highway system can see that the precautions and widths shown here are just not up to standard for a supposed high speed road. In fact, extra consideration should have been given due to the general road and lane discipline seen on our roads....

Guess what, that's the size of the highway :P 2 (evidently narrow) lanes going either way. Good luck everyone.

I don't know if these pic's are from the Southern Expressway: but I heard that when the funding was first approved years ago, it was for a 4+4 lane highway... but as the project got delayed, and as prices went up, the original funding was only going to be enough for 3+3 lanes... and then it got delayed even further so they could only afford 2+2 lanes.

And if the brotherhood took 20% from that, then that would explain the width of the lanes...

Edited by Sifaan

The roads look quite narrow, specially if cars are going to be doing 120km/h. I do not need to tell the effects of crashing at that speed in such a narrow road. The 4 lans in the pictures are only enough for 3 lanes and a shoulder. It's a curse that when some thing good like this haapens to the general public, specially an important infrastructure development, we are famous for lack of planning and not to consider future developments in mind. All glory to chinthaka :P

Driving in a tunnel at high speeds sounds like a plan or why don't you guys sell your cars and buy three wheelars or motorbikes as the road is only wide enough for them. (I know bikes and tuk tuks are banned on these high ways but i'm sure you could get away with it as I don't think any one will bother to check these.

They mey look narrow, but i'm sure there are some sort of standards or set regulations on who wide a single lane must be etc etc...

And of course doing 120 in a staight line road isnt as hard as doing it along a regular road like say current galle road... So maybe we can not jump the gun just yet...

What does worry me is the a-holes who would end up crawling along smack dead in the middle of the road raking up bth lanes..

What does worry me is the a-holes who would end up crawling along smack dead in the middle of the road raking up bth lanes..

Same here. I already thought about people who never let the RPM go over 2 or 3 and think they are driving "economical". Not to mention all the other thing done on road by our drivers.

Same here. I already thought about people who never let the RPM go over 2 or 3 and think they are driving "economical". Not to mention all the other thing done on road by our drivers.

my point is that expressway cost us only $800.00 ( or we spent)and here just to make a bypass cost about a billion, so in correct I am happy with it, we only need 6 lanes near CMB areas and entrance. Btw this is a regional road going to Hamba and Gov can expand as econmy pick up. No doubt this will be bumper to bumper in Kataragama season, just appreciate with what we have please! :jumping-smiley-013:

my point is that expressway cost us only $800.00 ( or we spent)and here just to make a bypass cost about a billion, so in correct I am happy with it, we only need 6 lanes near CMB areas and entrance. Btw this is a regional road going to Hamba and Gov can expand as econmy pick up. No doubt this will be bumper to bumper in Kataragama season, just appreciate with what we have please! :jumping-smiley-013:

Machang I think you have slightly missed the point here. There is a difference between appreciating something that will definitely have a benefit to the country as opposed to a foolhardy showpiece that is a death trap to drive on...And yes, there may be international regulations on how wide a lane on a highway may be, but remember that our B grade roads are also considered "highways" and their single lane each way is about as wide as a single lane in these pics :D And the poster who mentioned about the funding reductions is spot on, this is in fact what happened, but it might have been better to then just make it one wide lane each way (there are plenty of regional interstate highways like that in the USA).

Anyway, fair enough, we can't just judge it based on a few pics, but all the pics I've seen from different areas so far show absolutely no breakdown/emergency lane, and a ridiculously low center barrier (that steel middle barrier is the sort that is usually found on the side of the road in international highways), making it extremely easy for a driver asleep at the wheel to hit it, flip over it, and roll straight in to oncoming traffic.

On the flipside, perhaps at least this will teach some of us better lane discipline. Got to wait and see.

Machang the cost is WAY over 800mil.

Once again, some minister (i think it was mervin) goes around mouthing a number he pulled out from his sarong. I think the correct number was around 2.2+bil.

And machang, the whole "be thankful for what we have" sentiment is quite screwed up. How would you like it if you went to a car sale and the salesman sold you a maruti 800 for 5.0mil? Would you be thankful for the maruti you have and drive home? You'd want to get a car to the value you paid or a price that fit the car you got, right? The downgrading of the project from a 4+4 highway down to a 2+2 has a lot to do with corruption as much as rising expenses and under-estimations.

Same as SeadD and Dilesh. I think some big guys have pocketed a massive amount and just trying to finish it off. These things are not new in SL and from contractors to politicians we know all take short cuts. Makeing the road even little narrow for the whole distance (eg 120km) will save them alot in materials. These things are mostly once off projects and planning and budgetinng should be done with alot of due care. Not to mention their idea of making it a toll way! If some one is expected to pay to drive on it I think it's fair from a user point of view to expect more safty and comfort for what they are paying.

Good one Dilesh about Mervin pulling things from his Sarong. Had a good laugh :lol:

If we just appreciated what we had, then why have a new road? We already the Galle Road. Two choices going to Katharagama, along the coast or through the interior across Ratnapura.

Machang the cost is WAY over 800mil.

Once again, some minister (i think it was mervin) goes around mouthing a number he pulled out from his sarong. I think the correct number was around 2.2+bil.

Lets not forget a that things were collapsing even without the weight of traffic and had to be redone.

Higher Costs

15 Apr, 2009 07:55:43

Sri Lanka southern expressway Chinese contractor gets more cash

April 15, 2009 (LBO) - A Chinese contractor building a part of an expressway to Sri Lanka's south has more than doubled the original contract value following cost escalations and a decision to widen the road.

The cost of building the section of road from Kottawa in the suburbs of Sri Lanka's capital Colombo to Dodangoda, has increased from 9,585 million rupees to 20,000 million rupees.

Sri Lanka's cabinet of ministers had approved the enhanced contract to China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) with the concurrence of Japan Bank for International Co-operation (JBIC), which is funding that part of the project, in March 2009.

The first half of the 130 kilometre expressway from Colombo to Matara running from Kottawa to Kurundugahahetekma is funded by the JBIC. The second half is funded by the Asian Development Bank.

The new contract related to the first half of the JBIC funded section or 'package 01' running from Kottawa to Dodangoda.

The cabinet note from the ministry of highways said the first half had to be widened by an extra 2.5 metres on a government decision to broaden the latter part of the expressway from two lanes to four lanes and extra work undertaken for flood protection. :rolleyes:

CHEC had asked for 19.4 billion rupees without contingencies and price escalation after the scope of the contract changed. A cabinet appointed negotiating (CANC) had been appointed to deal with CHEC.

The CANC had negotiated a price of 16,325 million rupees for the section including 15 percent value added tax (VAT).

Physical contingencies of 1,226.25 million rupees and a price escalation of 2,448.75 million including VAT brought the value of the entire project to a round number of 20,000 million rupees.

The original contract was tendered to CHEC in March 2005 for 9,585,860,448 rupees.

The currency portion of the project was agreed at 53 percent Sri Lankan rupees, 17 percent Japanese yen and 30 percent US dollars. CHEC has also won an increase to the mobilization advance from 20 percent to 30 percent.

The section is expected to be completed on December 15, 2010.

Sri Lanka has had high inflation in recent years and a global commodity bubble - which has since collapsed - pushing up costs of bitumen and other raw materials until last year. Petroleum and steel prices have since plummeted.

They mey look narrow, but i'm sure there are some sort of standards or set regulations on who wide a single lane must be etc etc...

And of course doing 120 in a staight line road isnt as hard as doing it along a regular road like say current galle road... So maybe we can not jump the gun just yet...

Correct but enugh space is really matters.

Yesterday night I was watching Discovery and it shows one Car has hit a column in a side of the road and a Police car kept about 15m - 20m away to warn on coming vehicles with its emergency lights on to avoid any collision with it. But another car that came on the other lane just tried to overtake a lorry and noticed the police car may be abour 40m - 50m distance. but it was too late and this 3rd car hit the police car like nothing. Impact is big the 3rd car went flying and police car be just a peace of junk.

So no enough space in bother sides for such situations will make it bad to worse..

Machang I think you have slightly missed the point here. There is a difference between appreciating something that will definitely have a benefit to the country as opposed to a foolhardy showpiece that is a death trap to drive on...And yes, there may be international regulations on how wide a lane on a highway may be, but remember that our B grade roads are also considered "highways" and their single lane each way is about as wide as a single lane in these pics :D And the poster who mentioned about the funding reductions is spot on, this is in fact what happened, but it might have been better to then just make it one wide lane each way (there are plenty of regional interstate highways like that in the USA).

Anyway, fair enough, we can't just judge it based on a few pics, but all the pics I've seen from different areas so far show absolutely no breakdown/emergency lane, and a ridiculously low center barrier (that steel middle barrier is the sort that is usually found on the side of the road in international highways), making it extremely easy for a driver asleep at the wheel to hit it, flip over it, and roll straight in to oncoming traffic.

On the flipside, perhaps at least this will teach some of us better lane discipline. Got to wait and see.

I agree Machan , but to be honest I am very please to see this achievement, let me remind that this is the first time we have a freeway like this & I do know that it's lack of a wider emergency lane but I am sure we can improve our selves and more to come , So fingers cross!

Highways Ministry Secretary and former Navy Commander retired Admiral Wasantha Karannagoda has been picked to be Sri Lanka s next High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Sri Lanka media reported on Sunday.

Sources said Adm. Karannagoda is expected to proceed to London once the incumbent High Commissioner there - retired Supreme Court Justice Nihal Jayasinghe, who has already completed his term, returns to assume duties as new Bribery and Corruption Commission chief.

They, however, said some procedures such as getting accreditation from UK had not been completed yet.

Wasantha Karannagoda is very efficient & will be a big loss to specially Highways Ministry

Highways Ministry Secretary and former Navy Commander retired Admiral Wasantha Karannagoda has been picked to be Sri Lanka s next High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Sri Lanka media reported on Sunday.

Sources said Adm. Karannagoda is expected to proceed to London once the incumbent High Commissioner there - retired Supreme Court Justice Nihal Jayasinghe, who has already completed his term, returns to assume duties as new Bribery and Corruption Commission chief.

They, however, said some procedures such as getting accreditation from UK had not been completed yet.

Wasantha Karannagoda is very efficient & will be a big loss to specially Highways Ministry

Doesn't matter, apparently our efficient to the point of overdoing it deputy minister of highways seems to be soon to be reinstated :P