• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

1,942 answers to this question

Havent heard much news on the southern expressway, colombo-katu , colombo -kandy and outer circular road projects.

Anybody has any updates on these projects so far.

Neither have I. Looks like its in the back burner. Hope the monies have not been squandered :(

Havent heard much news on the southern expressway, colombo-katu , colombo -kandy and outer circular road projects.

My place is very close to southern expressway Kottawa(Makumbura) entry point. Chinese people have been working day and night every day. It's going ahead in a good speed. highlevel road traffic is diverted to a newly constructed road. I think they're going to start building a 'flyover' over the highlevel road. I think much of the work is completed upto Kottawa area. asphalt layered in some areas. Huge amount of 'concrete gal' layered. Polythene like material layered over 'concrete gal'. CEB 's building new high-tension line towers.

colombo-katu too is under construction with the help of the chinese! They are cutting through marshy land so there's a lot of land filling to do and hence the huge delay IMO

the heavy rains we experienced sometime ago too slowed down progress cos i remember seeing fair bit of construction equipment under water.

from what i can see it's gonna be quite a wide road...

My place is very close to southern expressway Kottawa(Makumbura) entry point. Chinese people have been working day and night every day. It's going ahead in a good speed. highlevel road traffic is diverted to a newly constructed road. I think they're going to start building a 'flyover' over the highlevel road. I think much of the work is completed upto Kottawa area. asphalt layered in some areas. Huge amount of 'concrete gal' layered. Polythene like material layered over 'concrete gal'. CEB 's building new high-tension line towers.

STDP (southern transport development project) is divided in to three sections

Section 1 Kottawa to Mathugama

Done by Chaina harbour construction company, ground works are almost over and asphalting has started.

The highlevel will be going over the highway at Makumbura and the entry to the highway will be in the paddy field next to munchee. Due be completed in mid 2011.

Section 2 Mathgama to Kuruduhgaha (Elpitiya)

Done by Taisae corporation, part of it getting asphalted, a huge bridge is being constructed to cross Kaluganaga. Due to be completed in early 2011

Section 3 Elpitiya to Matara

Constructed by Kumagai gumi, finishing works in progress.

QUOTE (harshansenadhir @ Jul 8 2010, 04:50 AM)

these were taken close to the entry point at Kurundugahahathapma back in 2009 February. Visited about month ago and saw lane marking and light posts too were completed including the entry/exit ways.

The progress is fantastic. I cant Waite to put pedal to the metal dry.gif

Edited by Pericles

there are 24/7 work going on near malabe - godagama road. i heard they r planning to finish work in 3 years though. heard its a toll road...

there are 24/7 work going on near malabe - godagama road. i heard they r planning to finish work in 3 years though. heard its a toll road...

Yah! Yesterday I saw work going on the Kaduwela entry point which includes a huge bridge over Kelani river.

Following a University Of Moratuwa report, three bridges on the new Southern Expressway have been demolished and reconstructed to adhere to better safety standards. They have recommended the overhaul of twenty-eight more.

The 126 km long expressway is expected to connect Colombo and Matara in one and a half hours, bypassing the congested coastal Galle Road. There are also plans to extend the road to Sri Lanka’s second international airport in Weerawila, Hambantota. The project is funded by the Asian Development Bank and the Japan International Cooperation Agency. It is built partly by Chinese contractors who have previously revised cost estimates up, almost doubling them for certain sections.

The report presented by Project Director of Southern Expressway S. Mehandan showed that 28 of the 73 tested bridges needed to be completely overhauled and reinforced. This is a failure rate nearing 40%. In the 2010 Budget speech the government stated that they expected the road to be completed by 2012. This is a revision from the earlier completion date of 2010.

The 126 km long expressway is expected to connect Colombo and Matara in one and a half hours, bypassing the congested coastal Galle Road.

Good. In that case, the less adventurous among us (myself included) can take the freshly decongested coastal Galle Road. I know someone who was in the committee from Moratuwa Uni that was looking in to this issue. From what he told me, I really really hope they will properly rebuild these bridges.

In any case, I don't fancy barreling along at 100kmph on a narrow-lane two-lane expressway given the way a lot of jokers on the street just cut from lane to lane without even looking. In the rush to build it and cut corners, I hope they are also thinking of easy access methods for emergency response, should something happen, as I've seen many cases in the States where helicopters had to land ON the highway to evacuate people as there was no way for ambulances to get through traffic backups after accidents. I don't think the Col-Matara expressway is wide enough at any point for a chopper to land, leave alone an ambulance to maneuver through a pileup. I'm really glad this project is finally getting somewhere, but I also hope that it will be a boon and not a tragedy.

Good. In that case, the less adventurous among us (myself included) can take the freshly decongested coastal Galle Road. I know someone who was in the committee from Moratuwa Uni that was looking in to this issue. From what he told me, I really really hope they will properly rebuild these bridges.

In any case, I don't fancy barreling along at 100kmph on a narrow-lane two-lane expressway given the way a lot of jokers on the street just cut from lane to lane without even looking. In the rush to build it and cut corners, I hope they are also thinking of easy access methods for emergency response, should something happen, as I've seen many cases in the States where helicopters had to land ON the highway to evacuate people as there was no way for ambulances to get through traffic backups after accidents. I don't think the Col-Matara expressway is wide enough at any point for a chopper to land, leave alone an ambulance to maneuver through a pileup. I'm really glad this project is finally getting somewhere, but I also hope that it will be a boon and not a tragedy.

On a more lighter note. for a heli to come to rescue in SL accendent should involve a VVIP. In that case they will be able to find plenty of ways to make it land lol

On a more lighter note. for a heli to come to rescue in SL accendent should involve a VVIP. In that case they will be able to find plenty of ways to make it land lol

Oh so true my friend...LOL even at the expense and inconvenience of others.....but then this is what we've come to 'expect' in SL now......sad.

Edited by SHAI