• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Digital Point And Shoot Camera, 16Mp

kolama

Hi all,

Time to buy a new DP&S camera :sad-smiley-066:, since my current Cyber-shot W210 giving few troubles. Selections are Cyber-shot W730, or one of similar Samsung, Canon Powershot, Panasonic Lumix or Nikon Coolpix camera. My needs are not complex, just to cover kids activities and travel events. But the quality of images to be at least to similar previous. 16 MP camera with good HD movie capabilities are ok. Guys, pls give your valuable ideas and experiences to find a good camera and good camera joint.

Thanks.

Be careful when buying from non reputed companies they sometimes bring down refurbished and sell them. Sinnce there is no duty on camersa now agent prices are reasonable.

My advice would be to go for a slightly older model which would be in discount it migh most probably have better lense, higher optical zoom and most important optical image stabilisation.

Since you are taking pictures of children look for higher forcusing speed and startup time, you dont want to miss the photo oppertunity.

The one I have was bought in 2011 and I was impressed with it enough to buy another (more updated version) of it last year for my girlfriend. I don't remember exact model numbers but both are from the Canon IXUS series. Beautifully built, extremely compact and most of all takes great pictures for a P&S. There have been many updates on the line and you might find something that you might like and I'd highly recommend them.

One thing, don't go for huge Megapixel counts. That can actually introduce a lot of noise when higher ISOs are involved in low light situations. 10-12 should do just fine unless you print huge sizes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

• Like 1

For compact point and shoot cameras the best option available is the Panasonic TZ series. They have wide angle Leica lenses with more optical zoom than normally available in a compact camera.

Don,

I checked several places. Bit pricy ne..eh! It's a really good one, I checked specifications. Thanks

Don,

I checked several places. Bit pricy ne..eh! It's a really good one, I checked specifications. Thanks

I've been able to find the TZ 20 (which is a slightly older model) for around £100 a year back, but I think even an older TZ is worth the money. As somebody said there is no point going for high mega pixel values. What matters is the quality of the sensor and the quality of the lens and dare I say Leica makes some fine lenses.