• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Duty Increased In 2014 Budget

ramithad

The taxes on a car isn't as straight cut as a percentage. There are some taxes that are charged AFTER certain taxes are added to the value and what not.

As far as I know, there isnt anyone from the customs in AL. So everyone's explanation is subject to the information they have at hand and their interpretation of what they have read etc.

The ideal way is talk goto or call the customs and get the info directly from them as they would know the most current taxation rules. Your next best bet is a car importer who might be able to give you a close approximation based on his experience.

• 4 months later...

probably the cars used by ordinary people like us are most affected as always,not the hi-emissions ones used by VIPs.

:sad-smiley-034:

How many young kids have a dream to buy a Jap or Euro car from their first job?

looks like we will see more chinese and Indian shoeboxes with low-safety features on our streets.

Edited by osaka_dude

probably the cars used by ordinary people like us are most affected as always,not the hi-emissions ones used by VIPs.

looks like we will see more chinese and Indian shoeboxes with low-safety features on our streets.

You're far from ordinary. You're special.

• Like 1

Your comment make sense ( if you delete 'like us' )

• Like 1

You are extra ordinary.... :)

Stop shedding crocodile tears for the ordinary people of Sri Lanka... :)

• Like 1

Without knowing any details of the supplementary budget, how can you jump in to conclusions like this?

Further, how can u say chinese and indian vehicles are shoeboxes? is this the level of analytical knowledge your developed country-scholarship-engineering degree taught you?

• Like 2

Without knowing any details of the supplementary budget, how can you jump in to conclusions like this?

Further, how can u say chinese and indian vehicles are shoeboxes? is this the level of analytical knowledge your developed country-scholarship-engineering degree taught you?

I said "probably".

BMW,AUDI,ACURA,TOYOTA,LEXUS,MB all make cars in China,and they are not shoeboxes.

But the ones that come to Sri Lanka are not better than Shoeboxes with wheels.

The main reason is lack of government regulations for emissions/safety(NCAP) to bar these low-quality imports.

remember the accident on E01 last year where a Uni-lecturer and family were tragically killed?

You will find out if you drive a Cherry Q or M@ruti-800 some day.

how many of these have ABS,ESP,Airbags,and even the tyre size seems too small for safe driving in wet conditions.

Edited by osaka_dude

Dude, Its not what you drive that causes accidents, its how you drive. If a person buys a Cherry Q or Maruti and try to drive it like a BMW,AUDI,ACURA,TOYOTA,LEXUS,MB in wet, then its his fault.

BTW you are the same person who went on to blame the government when some guy fixed an extra diy petrol tank to a van and it caught fire?

• Like 2

Dude, Its not what you drive that causes accidents, its how you drive. If a person buys a Cherry Q or Maruti and try to drive it like a BMW,AUDI,ACURA,TOYOTA,LEXUS,MB in wet, then its his fault.

BTW you are the same person who went on to blame the government when some guy fixed an extra diy petrol tank to a van and it caught fire?

unfortunately not everyone seems to drive knowing the limits of his car.

and AFAIK there is now law upto now banning them like tuk-tuks from entering Highways.

BTW completely OT, whats with the DIY petrol tank story,how dumb is that?

Edited by osaka_dude

Present tariff make the market full with cheaper and cheaper cars. The buying power of ordinary is plummeting day by day. Let's keep the cars aside for the moment. I'll bet that you cannot find a can of Jack Mackerel from Chile in nine out of ten stores you visit. People cant afford to buy a can of jack mackerel even . Market is full of cheap substitutes from CHINA except two brands imported in limited quantities. . The same scenario applies for the cars also.

• Like 2

and AFAIK there is now law upto now banning them like tuk-tuks from entering Highways.

Why on earth would you want to ban them from entering the Highway? India and China have extensive highway networks and it works for them.

Dude, the more you comment here, the more it is clear that you are a real retard with the IQ of a tortoise.

As far as I know, three wheelers and motor cycles are NOT allowed in Sri Lankan motor ways.

Why on earth would you want to ban them from entering the Highway? India and China have extensive highway networks and it works for them.

Dude, the more you comment here, the more it is clear that you are a real retard with the IQ of a tortoise.

Here we go with the personal attacks again. :sleeping-smiley-008:

Just tell me machan from your Subaru experience, braking Distance increases or decreases with Speed ?

you must be an expert-driver capable of quick manouvers with handbrakes,steering etc.

But most new-license holders and senior drivers,lady drivers are not so.

which makes such safety features as ABS,ESP,Airbags more important since we are entering the Highway-speed motoring era in SL now. so shoeboxes,NO more!

Edited by osaka_dude

I don't think that banning them is right. The reason why tuk tuks and bikes are banned are because of their inability to keep up with posted speed limits which will hold up traffic.

The average joe who buys a Maruti 800, does so for very inderstandable reasons. Roll the clocks back a few decades, a car was a luxuary only the well-to-do could afford. As much as I hate the econo boxes and the brittle bikes India unloads, it gave the average joe a chance to provide a simple comfort to his family. Should we kick him off the roads (for which he paid taxes for as anyone else) just because he drives a cheap car?

The issue is with people's lack of understanding about the limitations of their cars, road etiquette and general attitute on the roads. It's a fact that we have more than our fair share of crappy cars on our roads. And people will continue to buy what they can afford. What is needed is to raise awareness and educate the average road user. Not kicking them off the roads and let only the 'elite' use them.

• Like 7

May I also point out that motorways have existed for a long time and there are cars on the road with a lot less safety features than some of the shoe boxes you mention.

Over time, car safety standards have improved, and most new cars provide outstanding passenger safety and more and more people survive accidents.

But whatever technological innovation exists, diciplined driving remains the primary method of avoiding a collision, which remains the best way of avoiding injury or death.

Having said that, I observed excellent standard of driving in Sri Lankan motorways when I was in SL a month ago. Lane dicipline, speed, changing lanes were all outstanding! Well done Sri Lankan drivers! The vast majority seems to have always had it in them!

Here we go with the personal attacks again. :sleeping-smiley-008:

Just tell me machan from your Subaru experience, braking Distance increases or decreases with Speed ?

Why don’t you Stand in front of the car and I will test and see.

I said "probably".

BMW,AUDI,ACURA,TOYOTA,LEXUS,MB all make cars in China,and they are not shoeboxes.

But the ones that come to Sri Lanka are not better than Shoeboxes with wheels.

The main reason is lack of government regulations for emissions/safety(NCAP) to bar these low-quality imports.

remember the accident on E01 last year where a Uni-lecturer and family were tragically killed?

You will find out if you drive a Cherry Q or M@ruti-800 some day.

how many of these have ABS,ESP,Airbags,and even the tyre size seems too small for safe driving in wet conditions.

Correct me if I'm wrong I've heard wider tires are more prone to aquaplaning than smaller tires aren't they?