• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reverting Back From 325 Number

suki300me

Guys,

I found myself an original petrol S2 Land Rover that originally came with 8 Sri plates. But the guy who owns it recently had it converted to diesel and had the number changed to 325-

Is there any way to get the old number back if I convert it back to petrol? This car has had a lot of character and with this number its all gone

Guys,

I found myself an original petrol S2 Land Rover that originally came with 8 Sri plates. But the guy who owns it recently had it converted to diesel and had the number changed to 325-

Is there any way to get the old number back if I convert it back to petrol? This car has had a lot of character and with this number its all gone

Sadly I dont think there is an option to do that.. Lots of people who have bought classic american cars that were converted to diesel back in the day and are reconverting them to petrol are having the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a framework in place to revert to the original numbers.

Sadly I dont think there is an option to do that.. Lots of people who have bought classic american cars that were converted to diesel back in the day and are reconverting them to petrol are having the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a framework in place to revert to the original numbers.
That's a shame. Probably had a corker of an engine in there...

Thanks guys :(

It's a shame that this old hector will never get the recognition or care it deserves, because of the new plates.

Edited by suki300me

Well you can restore the car back to original and have the satisfaction of doing a good job. If I'm not mistaken you can also run the plates in classic style (silver letters on a black background) for the older numbers.

The number plate is only one part of a vehicles history.

Unfortunately you will have to register the engine change again with the RMV if you convert back to petrol and I wonder if they will issue another number!

doubt it machan - probably a 2.25L 4 pot :)

Some of them had 4l v8's no?

The Google gods say no as well. You're possibly thinking of the 4L V8 that was offered much later in the RR I guess?

Regardless, what I want to know is why one would opt to convert a diesel Series 2 LR back to petrol? I understand that it may originally have been a petrol, but the deed is already done and registered appropriately, so why bother switching back? If the engine has packed in, would it not make sense to overhaul the engine (or given no other option, replace it with another diesel)? That's gotten me beat, for even if one were to disregard the fuel associated cost savings; wouldn't a torquey diesel be better all around in a 4x4 rather than a wimpy petrol engine?

Edited by Kavvz

If the diesel engine is also a Land rover engine, I don't see any harm in keeping it that way.

And I agree with The Don, your best course of action is to go for a retro style black silver numberplate. At first glance, it would not draw attention to the "325". And someone who appreciates the vehicle would look beyond the numberplate.

I agree with Don and Watchman especially considering the fact that there aren't many unmolested S2's floating around in the market. But I haven't decided that if I can live with this.

As for the engine it had a 2l straight 4 petrol engine and a 4 speed gear box, which he still has and agreed to give me with the sale. But it has a crack in the block and I don't think it would be usable anymore.

The Google gods say no as well. You're possibly thinking of the 4L V8 that was offered much later in the RR I guess?

Regardless, what I want to know is why one would opt to convert a diesel Series 2 LR back to petrol? I understand that it may originally have been a petrol, but the deed is already done and registered appropriately, so why bother switching back? If the engine has packed in, would it not make sense to overhaul the engine (or given no other option, replace it with another diesel)? That's gotten me beat, for even if one were to disregard the fuel associated cost savings; wouldn't a torquey diesel be better all around in a 4x4 rather than a wimpy petrol engine?

I have read somewhere that there were few v8 series 2's built to export to US for military use in the 70's. Not sure about the authenticity of this

I agree with Don and Watchman especially considering the fact that there aren't many unmolested S2's floating around in the market. But I haven't decided that if I can live with this.

As for the engine it had a 2l straight 4 petrol engine and a 4 speed gear box, which he still has and agreed to give me with the sale. But it has a crack in the block and I don't think it would be usable anymore.

I think you will very easily find a new block as many were converted to Diesel and such the older blocks must be lying around... Plus the existing Diesel engine must be worth some money as most were converted using Mitsubishi 4D15 engines

Edited by The Don

• 4 months later...
Some of them had 4l v8's no?

None of the old ones machan

It's only the 90/110 's that got the 3.5L Carburetor V8

The older Range Rovers from the very offset came with the 3.5L V8's and then toward the late 80's had them upped to the 3.9 L's and finally the 4.2's

None of the old ones machan

It's only the 90/110 's that got the 3.5L Carburetor V8

The older Range Rovers from the very offset came with the 3.5L V8's and then toward the late 80's had them upped to the 3.9 L's and finally the 4.2's

This is the aluminum blocked Rover V8 right? The Carbie 3.5 is quite popular for kit cars and the like I hear.

If you can get it at a discount because of the 325 number it might be worth it. You never know, but laws may change someday. I wonder if there is an alternative where one could change a 325 number to E-series just like some current 19-/300- car owners seem to be doing? English letters might make the Landie "look" better than325-.

If you can get it at a discount because of the 325 number it might be worth it. You never know, but laws may change someday. I wonder if there is an alternative where one could change a 325 number to E-series just like some current 19-/300- car owners seem to be doing? English letters might make the Landie "look" better than325-.

lol

How did you figure i was on about the RR Classic ??? :D

• 5 years later...

Hey Guys - sorry for having to bring this back from the vaults after 6 years - But does anybody know if there has been any change to this law of late? So my understanding is that the 325- number will stick even after the conversion(back to petrol) - for any general engine swap that will be the case and only the new  engine number will appear on the book. 

Edited by matroska

On 8/11/2019 at 2:03 PM, matroska said:

Hey Guys - sorry for having to bring this back from the vaults after 6 years - But does anybody know if there has been any change to this law of late? So my understanding is that the 325- number will stick even after the conversion(back to petrol) - for any general engine swap that will be the case and only the new  engine number will appear on the book. 

You can make it a E*-XXXX number

Plenty of defenders here with that 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, tiv said:

You can make it a E*-XXXX number

Plenty of defenders here with that 

Is the E*-xxxx number scheme still in progress? I read somewhere RMV stopped issuing E* plates for old number plates.

45 minutes ago, alds said:

Is the E*-xxxx number scheme still in progress? I read somewhere RMV stopped issuing E* plates for old number plates.

I’m not updated with the latest info, you might have to check that with DMT, anything can be done there if you know someone up the food chain. 

• Like 1