• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

OshanR

Well, whoever the joker that came up with the new doctor car pass law and the helmet law had to shove it up their Ar$e

From what I saw there was a total "civil disobedience" to the helmet law. Something these political jokers and the police clowns should take note of - there are limits to peoples tolerance

Well, whoever the joker that came up with the new doctor car pass law and the helmet law had to shove it up their Ar$e

From what I saw there was a total "civil disobedience" to the helmet law. Something these political jokers and the police clowns should take note of - there are limits to peoples tolerance

Whats the new doctor pass law?

bdw i think this full face helmet ban was just for CHOGM

Whats the new doctor pass law?

bdw i think this full face helmet ban was just for CHOGM

The ad-hoc laws of the land!

So let the full face helmets come with the following government warning/caveat emptor hereafter (like in the case of cigarettes).

"You may purchase this product at your own risk because the Government reserves the right to temporarily ban the use of full face helmets for an unspecified period as and when it decides to do so"

Edited by Rumesh88

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As most have probably seen/heard the full-face helmet ban is coming back (again).

Though, on a surface level, it may seem as a solution for people hiding their identity (thus not committing crimes), has no sensible police high up asked/thought "Is that the ONLY way to hide one's face".

Also, if one decides to rob a bank, I don't think he will stop to wear the right type of helmet and obey other traffic laws such as speed limits eh?

I also noticed some people have used this as an opportunity to ask for a ban on burkas. And based on the genius level logic provided by the police, seems to be justified.

BTW, why was this idea curbed the last time and why is that not relevant now?

Now the bank robbers will take two helmets with them - one to ride the bike and another, a full face helmet, to rob the bank. Police cannot charge someone for carrying a full face helmet or can they? BTW they robbed a bank yesterday with full face helmets before the March 21st deadline expires I guess.

There was a simpler solution. Ban people from entering a bank or retail premises with a full face helmet, face covering or headwear.

Our banks have armed guards so they could challenge the people to obey and you can spot trouble far away if you see sombody not making at attempt to comply.

Full face helmets are not the only method of disguise. Rubber face masks, burkas and even stockings come to mind (I've been watching too many action films :P)

I don't know how practical it would be in Sri Lanka but in some banks in Europe there are 2 doors for entry. You push a button and the first door opens. After you pass the first door you need to push a button to open the 2nd door. The 2nd door opens after the first door closes. The same procedure when leaving the bank. This would be ideal for a small branch.

I don't know how practical it would be in Sri Lanka but in some banks in Europe there are 2 doors for entry. You push a button and the first door opens. After you pass the first door you need to push a button to open the 2nd door. The 2nd door opens after the first door closes. The same procedure when leaving the bank. This would be ideal for a small branch.

Aggreed. Rather than waiting for the government, the banks themselves need to implement better security procedures.

For example at the moment there is no barrier between the cashier and client in some banks.

There was a simpler solution. Ban people from entering a bank or retail premises with a full face helmet, face covering or headwear.

Our banks have armed guards so they could challenge the people to obey and you can spot trouble far away if you see sombody not making at attempt to comply.

Full face helmets are not the only method of disguise. Rubber face masks, burkas and even stockings come to mind (I've been watching too many action films :P)

No hats/hoods policy is already implemented in many banks isn't it? At least the notices in place I've seen. But in some places security guards are assisting with photocoping, helping customers to fill in forms etc..basically everything else except security and not much choice when robbers are already inside.

Recently I've walk in to a remote ATM in front of the SLIT wearing a cap. The small speaker just above immediately started creaming 'thoppiya galawanda'. I did not bother initially but the voice became louder and louder so I had to remove my cap. I guess those places without security guards are being monitored remortly (for ATMs security?).

No hats/hoods policy is already implemented in many banks isn't it? At least the notices in place I've seen. But in some places security guards are assisting with photocoping, helping customers to fill in forms etc..basically everything else except security and not much choice when robbers are already inside.

Recently I've walk in to a remote ATM in front of the SLIT wearing a cap. The small speaker just above immediately started creaming 'thoppiya galawanda'. I did not bother initially but the voice became louder and louder so I had to remove my cap. I guess those places without security guards are being monitored remortly (for ATMs security?).

Well thats a pity. To be honest most arms being held by most security guards isn't really that useful considering what the robbers might have. I mean a single barrel hnting rifles held by a guy aged 50 isn't going to scare most determined robbers.

I used to work for Merc bank (when it was Merc bank) many moons ago. Now those guys were armed with double barrel shot guns with 7 cartridges already in. And these are high caliber guns, and there were 3 guards. I guess rest assured nobody in their right mind would try to rob that branch (and it helps when all the guards are ex PSD). This was their head office in R A De Mel MW. I did hear later that they did have a problem in their Delkanda branch (where I spent a week). Security is probably not the same when the Mercantile group sold it to DFCC and Mercantile security also replaced with somebody else.

You can't expect the security guard making Rs.15,000 -20,000 to put his life at risk to save the bank money which is already insured. And rightly so, you don't see security guards throwing that much (or any) resistance once the perp shows brutal agression in his entry alone. I recently saw an unfortunate CCTV clip of a bank manager who resisted being shot (IIRC). If I was a bank employee myself, I would STFU, sit my ass on the floor and let the robbers do whatever. My family and loved ones will me miss me more than the bank will miss its money.

I too agree that whats needed is infrastructure based security like the double door system zebra mentioned. Instead what happens is that the banks rent the cheapest shop space they find and set up shop and pay some random bloke peanuts and hand him an antique gun (which he never shot even once even in a training) to create a sense of security.

And as for the helmet law, the best counter-argument is to go into a bank and make a scene (maybe flash some female employees) while wearing an underwear on your head. Once it hits the headlines, ask the police to ban underwear too! (idea credit: facebook/meme)

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2

I too agree that whats needed is infrastructure based security like the double door system zebra mentioned. Instead what happens is that the banks rent the cheapest shop space they find and set up shop and pay some random bloke peanuts and hand him an antique gun (which he never shot even once even in a training) to create a sense of security.

Exactly !!. I’m pretty sure that the main reason for the recent robbery at the Commercial Bank at Bokundara Piliyandala was this. This bank operates at a very small rented shop space where the adjacent shop is a wine store. At evenings I see all types of hooligans flock at the wines store to have their daily dose and it’s not a surprise that they get ideas to break in to the bank which is often guarded by one guard. Even the cash counters are so close to the main entrance where usually in most other banks, cash counters are safely confined in the middle or a corner of the building.

So that's twice this law was tabled and shoved away. Other than making the big brass look retarded, it didn't really do much eh?

Maybe they can implement something that can actually help the issue. Maybe the central bank should survey the premises of a proposed new branch or increase police presence in commercial areas rather than hiding so many of them behind bushes along the roadside.

I'm all for shooting anybody that comes with their faces covered to high security premises, including the dumbfuk that dreamed of banning full face helmets in the first place.

Endangering the lives of thousands of bikers, so that banks and police can shirk away from their responsibility. WTF!

Its the damn bank and the police responsibility to protect their premises. For starters they can replace the wheezy gasping naaki sikka uncles

Edited by liya