• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Rack Oil Leak

cefiroA33

Question

Hi Guys,

This issue came up very recently and i need your guys expert opinion.

During the periodic sevice of my Nissan Cefiro A33 the supervisor told me that the Right hand side Steering rack boot is damaged and need to be replaced.

When I took the car to the garage to do the replacement, I observed that the boot is covered with oil and I was told that there is a oil leak from the steering rack. I was also told that the only remedy is to replace the steering rack.

What I want to know from you guys is that when there is a oil leak in the steering rack does the only remedy is to replace the whole rack? cant we apply oil seals etc? Can someone recommend me a good spot to show this and get the good solution?

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.

Regards

100% agree with Komi on the Mario-experience. He did try to choon me but I happened to ask some impertinent questions about his additives from the Mario-land, for which he had the usual con's answer - if it wasn't good, so and so wouldn't use it etc.

I happened to understand that he was also saving up to buy an SUV those days.

• Like 1

Ah yes I remember he was suggesting some lubricants if thats what you guys talking about. Well I wasnt smart enought to get what he was saying. So just remained silent. Lols

Yeah that's it. Some magic lubricant that will EV wear and tear. Cost something like 10,000 per liter and and if you had a higher capacity than 1800cc you need to buy two cans. What I couldn't make sense of was,mif he's making this stuff, why can't he sell it loose? Bro had a 2 liter vista and thus had to pay 10,000 more for 200cc. If his hype was to be believed, you only need to treat an engine once. Even after oil changes the stuff sticks to the chambers.

I wish I had a picture of the engine bay after he painted it. We specifically asked him to keep things one color. He had used luminous orange, luminous green, navy blue and scarlet. On every detach-&-paintable part on the car. Nauseating

Chaps its a real pity that good mechanics/ engineers have to make a living this way by conning people.

This has happened to me twice with one very well known person (who I believe does not operate a garage any more) and another person.

In the first case, I was first lured with free advice, but when the car was actually sent their for repair, a bill of 50K turned up for supposedly fixing a new ECU while I was away from the country. Since the issue that was supposedly fixed is still their I doubt the scale of the repair undertaken. Because there are many people associated with him in the motoring industry I will not name and shame particularly as I've not spoken to him since and written off the costs associated as I have no proof (I was not physically there to verify the repair), but I wont have him do any work for me.

In the second case it was a simple case of being conned out of money by buying parts at a lower rate and then selling it back to me at a significantly higher rate. What annoyed me in this case is I was there waiting for the work to be finished in my car and I could have gone and bought the parts myself but he would not let me. And since it was a complete suspension repair with engine mounts etc I have calculated my losses to be at least 20-30K. I needed the job done in a short amount of time so I kept my mouth shut and the work was of reasonable quality. However I would not recommend him to anyone nor probably take my car there again.

And unfortunately I have to state the quality of work I receive from the paint shop in Pepiliyana where my family has gone for the last 16 years has also plummeted (verified sadly on multiple repair jobs on both our cars), so if I had recommended that guy to anybody, then I take it back. The mechanic there is still a good chap, just not experienced in modern electronics.

Chaps its a real pity that good mechanics/ engineers have to make a living this way by conning people.

This has happened to me twice with one very well known person (who I believe does not operate a garage any more) and another person.

In the first case, I was first lured with free advice, but when the car was actually sent their for repair, a bill of 50K turned up for supposedly fixing a new ECU while I was away from the country. Since the issue that was supposedly fixed is still their I doubt the scale of the repair undertaken. Because there are many people associated with him in the motoring industry I will not name and shame particularly as I've not spoken to him since and written off the costs associated as I have no proof (I was not physically there to verify the repair), but I wont have him do any work for me.

In the second case it was a simple case of being conned out of money by buying parts at a lower rate and then selling it back to me at a significantly higher rate. What annoyed me in this case is I was there waiting for the work to be finished in my car and I could have gone and bought the parts myself but he would not let me. And since it was a complete suspension repair with engine mounts etc I have calculated my losses to be at least 20-30K. I needed the job done in a short amount of time so I kept my mouth shut and the work was of reasonable quality. However I would not recommend him to anyone nor probably take my car there again.

And unfortunately I have to state the quality of work I receive from the paint shop in Pepiliyana where my family has gone for the last 16 years has also plummeted (verified sadly on multiple repair jobs on both our cars), so if I had recommended that guy to anybody, then I take it back. The mechanic there is still a good chap, just not experienced in modern electronics.

Well... our society is to be blamed for that I guess...

Being a mechanic doesn't essentially make one rich in this country. So they need to look at alternative ways within their scope of expertise to make some money.

Members,

I read all above posts. I am in industry for few decades. Please understand today we do not have very understanding and knowledgeable mechanics in industry.

Almost all of them are very young people. Last few decades plenty of new technologies developed. Therefore you need to scan a unit Scanners and analyzers.

Without them no one can do a correct fault analyses. Electronic parts most cannot be repaired have to change to new ones.

Like good old days, cut and chop mostly mechanical parts take from another severable unit and fix same to correct a faulty unit. That is how the old parts dealers existed early and exists today.

Therefore some mechanics exploit their costumers by this method. Delaying jobs having parts with them say had to buy out side. To earn few Rupees they inform the customer all sought of lies.

Coming to Mr. Mario Dias I had a conversation yesterday with him over the telephone. As for him UDA wanted that property they wanted to develop that area with removing all slums. Therefore he shifted to his home to do repairs. He admits about comments on A/L towards him. I did not want to talk more on that subject with him. Once I recommended him there were negative post replies. I did not recommend him after that. His name came up on this thread I posted a reply.

Criticizing is one common thing in the world. I was objected to my charges since I joined to this forum.

I am the only person for 21 years who existed in active uninterrupted service in this modern Automobile technology.

I deviated from my original Electrical maintenance because I felt this service is necessary for our Automobile community.

Medical profession did not have all advanced instruments and other scanners early, mostly they depended on X-ray reports.

Good luck for all A/L forum members. For the comming season.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I am the only person for 21 years who existed in active uninterrupted service in this modern Automobile technology.

I deviated from my original Electrical maintenance because I felt this service is necessary for our Automobile community.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

There are more than enough people who've worked in the automotive industry for more than 21 years. You certainly are not the only person. So I kindly request that you correct the lie you just said in that regard.

And what you do is a business; a business that charges unreasonably exorbitant prices that no common-man can afford. Yeah embassies, government bodies or other companies might not mind the cost cos no person has to personally pocket out 15,000 rupees for a windscreen polish; but do you honestly believe that an average man driving an average car can afford to spend that on a windscreen polishing? So you should stop beating this old drum of "I provide a service to our automobile community."

Edited by Watchman

Ok guys I think its time to cool down and focus on issues that we face in keeping our sweeties happy on the road.

Be it Mr. Mario Dias or Mr Sylvi Wijesinghe or any other professional in the industry, I presume they are there because they have proven that they are capable of handling something that most of us can't.

I find myself guilty for criticizing Dammika fernando which i suppose leads us to a bitter dialog here and lets focus on the issues.

After all what really matters is that we get the job done to the best at a reasonable cost. That is common to any field be it automobile, medicine or finance.

By the way I have noticed a weired sound coming from the engine bay its like a vibration sound you get from a metal part. I contacted the previous mechanic to check whether its an after effect of the recent repair but he is in the view that it might be something wrong with the steering pump.

Thanks for the support guys. Please keep cool . When experts starts war its the amateurs like me who is going to be in trouble lols!!!

Indika spoke to me about this. We were having a chat about it. If its a hum, it could be your power steering pump. Even mine hums a little til the oil warms up. But as I said, when you have time take it back to him. It could be nothing. But you know how it is when these little noises come up. You end up losing more sleep over that than the wheeze in your own child's chest!

Thanks komisiripala. you correctly mentioned that a weird noise when I open up the bonnet is always going to steal your sleep and peace in mind as well.

I hope its not much of a issue. By the way I forgot to mention that I saw your Datsun there. Good luck with your project.

cefero A33,

First of All thank you for your reply about Professionals in our blessed country.

Your last post. You have given the correct answer to that post. Made by a member.

No one can question Professionals charges they do study hard and become genius in their field.

Best Wishes,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Well... our society is to be blamed for that I guess...

Being a mechanic doesn't essentially make one rich in this country. So they need to look at alternative ways within their scope of expertise to make some money.

I wish to point out that I was perfectly happy to pay what any of these guys demanded as labour charges as long as they were reasonable (as in a days labour for an expert mechanic, plus cost of keeping the vehicle in premises, plus cost of overheads, cost of consumables plus profit margin).

What I don't like is being charged for something that is not necessary or charged double for no particular reason, unless I asked them to source a part for me (at which point I have to accept they will keep a cut). Even then I would appreciate if they were simply honest about it because I have no issues with an honest man making an honest living.

Some of are expert mechanics are not poor and they don't need to be. People are willing to pay reasonable charges for good work as its cheaper to them as well in the long run.

cefero A33,

First of All thank you for your reply about Professionals in our blessed country.

Your last post. You have given the correct answer to that post. Made by a member.

No one can question Professionals charges they do study hard and become genius in their field.

Best Wishes,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I never said that you can't charge whatever you want...You have every right to do so as part of your business!

But then coming here and talking high and mighty of yourself as if you've being doing a free service to everyone is what's ridiculous!