• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Rack Oil Leak

cefiroA33

Question

Hi Guys,

This issue came up very recently and i need your guys expert opinion.

During the periodic sevice of my Nissan Cefiro A33 the supervisor told me that the Right hand side Steering rack boot is damaged and need to be replaced.

When I took the car to the garage to do the replacement, I observed that the boot is covered with oil and I was told that there is a oil leak from the steering rack. I was also told that the only remedy is to replace the steering rack.

What I want to know from you guys is that when there is a oil leak in the steering rack does the only remedy is to replace the whole rack? cant we apply oil seals etc? Can someone recommend me a good spot to show this and get the good solution?

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.

Regards

Using the rack repair kit solved the leaking p.steering rack problem on my lancer cs1, got it done from a garage at 8th mile post, wijerama.i think some parts had to be lathed due to uneven ware.

Edited by bogzy

Using the rack repair kit solved the leaking p.steering rack problem on my lancer cs1, got it done from a garage at 8th mile post, wijerama.i think some parts had to be lathed due to uneven ware.

what was the total cost machan ?

what was the total cost machan ?

Replaced tie rods and brake pads on the same go, total cost was around 18k i guess, im afraid i cant give you a breakdown of the prices, but it wasnt a totally insane cost for the kit :-)

I faced the similar issue around four years back ans end up with replacing it with a used rack. so far no problem. if you want to repair the rack you have to buy the replacement kit. and it is difficult to find the exact ones. Then you have to go to lathes.Lot of hassle time and money.Eventhough they don't give any gurantee. But if you replace the rack, those shops gurant for a limited time. No hassle.Just fix it.so mechanics can not charge more. and its cheaper.

Thank guys for your responses.

Hey luckey007 do you own a cefiro as well or is it for some other model you used a recondition rack? Well I my mechanics gave me a quotation for 30K for the total replacement and thats why I was wondering whether there could be any other options left.

Thank guys for your responses.

Hey luckey007 do you own a cefiro as well or is it for some other model you used a recondition rack? Well I my mechanics gave me a quotation for 30K for the total replacement and thats why I was wondering whether there could be any other options left.

No machan my ride is a corolla and I bought the rack for around 7k from euro nippon.Actually they are used parts.Eventhough cefiro parts are rare than corolla parts it is worth to have a look around delkanda and other places. and may be some other nissans there that share the same rack. If it is the case ask them by using the cheapest model name, otherwise they may add some "luxury tax" when you mention the name cefiro..

• Like 1

No machan my ride is a corolla and I bought the rack for around 7k from euro nippon.Actually they are used parts.Eventhough cefiro parts are rare than corolla parts it is worth to have a look around delkanda and other places. and may be some other nissans there that share the same rack. If it is the case ask them by using the cheapest model name, otherwise they may add some "luxury tax" when you mention the name cefiro..

Good practise to follow :)

CefiroA33,

as the above reply said nissan may hv same model of ppwer raxks in different nissan vehicles therefore put more concern on model if ur replacing by the way in nissans repairing using repair kit would not be the cure.once in a bluemoon repairing will be success but in case of nisssan best option is to replace the rack

ceferoA33,

Go to an automobile repair shop first of all remove and examine the rack.

The repair shop mechanic will decide what to do.

like one person had to use a lathe to take of the oval from the shaft.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

ceferoA33,

Go to an automobile repair shop first of all remove and examine the rack.

The repair shop mechanic will decide what to do.

like one person had to use a lathe to take of the oval from the shaft.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

ceferoA33,

Dear, mwmber I do my own repairs because I have all Facilitys like welding with a lathe. Jave the knowledge.

I am no more in mechanical and other auto electrical work. I do section of automobile after market service.

For your problem can I direct a person Good Mechanic, I know to him for long time, will come home if you are living in Colombo or close by to Colombo.

He will charge about Rupees about 500/- for his expenses for a inspection at your house day, uses a three wheeler.

I can give his contact number and you can contact him give all details first of all get a quotation and get the job done.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,

I was hoping you would ask me to bring down the car for your inspection!! lols. thats ok.

For the benefit of us all why wont you share the details for us? I tried to private message you but failed.

Regards

Edited by cefiroA33

Hi Sylvi,

I was hoping you would ask me to bring down the car for your inspection!! lols. thats ok.

For the benefit of us all why wont you share the details for us? I tried to private message you but failed.

Regards

ceferoA33,

I read your post today only. Please bring your car over to me. I will advice of free of charge.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Guys,

Took the car to a mechanic suggested by Komirisipala and his suggestion was that since the shaft is not damaged there is not a necessity to replace the whole rack. so the oil seals were replaced at a very decent cost. plus a six months guaranty.

Thank you sylvi for your offer and I will be delighted to get my car down there very soon.

Thank you all others for their expert views and lets hope the matter is solved for good.

I am not in a position to recommend the guy still, as this is my first job done by him and its only been couple of days. But I would say he did a great job attending to important sections of the job by himself. and most of all he seems to have a confidence in what he does great work mate. Komisiripala over to you for further comments. Thanks

drive it around for a week or so and check for oil leaks again. if there are any, take it back to him! his work is usually solid. you shouldn't have any issues. and he's cut his teeth on nissans, so again he'd know best

Komisiripala,

Please give his name and address to other members will be benefited from him.You will not be a advertising this persons CAPABILITIES only recommending him.

Like Mr. Dammika Fernando who followed his fathers foot steps (B.C. FERNANDO Automobile engineer).

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Dhammika fernando in the sense Dhammika fernando whose garage is at Cotta Road?? I once contacted him to get my car's engine tuned up. But he simply refused to do so saying that he doesn't handle Cefiro engines. But I got it done nicely by Mario Dias who did a magnificent job. Now I have a sticker saying that "TUNED BY MARIO". No offense but attitude really matters. I respect Mr. Sylvi in that case for his offer to have a look at my car even at a time he doesnt handle jobs any longer. But that should be the spirit!!!!

Dhammika fernando in the sense Dhammika fernando whose garage is at Cotta Road?? I once contacted him to get my car's engine tuned up. But he simply refused to do so saying that he doesn't handle Cefiro engines. But I got it done nicely by Mario Dias who did a magnificent job. Now I have a sticker saying that "TUNED BY MARIO". No offense but attitude really matters. I respect Mr. Sylvi in that case for his offer to have a look at my car even at a time he doesnt handle jobs any longer. But that should be the spirit!!!!

cefiro,

Mr. Mario Dias is also very good at automobile tuning Old school Auto mobile Engineer.

Thank you for your comment any time contact me and my gate is open for all Automobile users.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

cefiro,

Mr. Mario Dias is also very good at automobile tuning Old school Auto mobile Engineer.

Thank you for your comment any time contact me and my gate is open for all Automobile users.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mario's workshop has been closed, and razed to the ground for nearly an year now. And this is from personal experience, if you go to him, please understand the difference between "tuned by Mario" and "chooned by Mario". In the former, he will work his magic with your car. He really is a gifted mech. In the latter, he will prove to you how he is an equally cunning linguist. You'll end up spending packets on every additive he recommends. My brother was chooned by him to the tune of a few hundred K. Ended up painting his engine like an Andy Warhol-on cocaine painting, and ruining the motor with a Mario special cone filter.

It's your money at the end of the day. Take his advise with a pinch of salt

• Like 4

Well komirisipala I beg to differ from your view as I experienced a superb job from him on my car. In fact I called him regarding my steering rack issue as well and his garage has been relocated at Battaramulla.

I would say that selection of a mechanic for your car would involve chemistry as well. Just like choosing a partner for you. There might be instances that one has to compromise for the extra buck you spent with the difference its going to make and justify whether its worth spending.

Thats what I did when I select your mechanic for my work. I would say he has done a good job there too.