• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Laptop Prices

I dont know about the latest models, Im using a HP pavilion g6(1322tx) laptop core i5 (2nd gen I think) / 4GB RAM/ 600GB HDD/ Ati Radeon graphics/ 15" LED LCD, which I bought nearly 2 years ago for around 65k. Didnt come with windows. Average performance, average battery life, reliable. I dont think this model is available now but there should be a replacement. Some laptops come with Windows 8 pre installed. Price might be a little higher.

If you are around colombo, drop in to unity plaza to get an idea about the latest models and prices.

Edited by Reckless

I dont know about the latest models, Im using a HP pavilion g6(1322tx) laptop core i5 (2nd gen I think) / 4GB RAM/ 600GB HDD/ Ati Radeon graphics/ 15" LED LCD, which I bought nearly 2 years ago for around 65k. Didnt come with windows. Average performance, average battery life, reliable. I dont think this model is available now but there should be a replacement. Some laptops come with Windows 8 pre installed. Price might be a little higher.

If you are around colombo, drop in to unity plaza to get an idea about the latest models and prices.

That is really cheap. In sri Lanka?

One thing don't buy from Unity Plaza if you don't have a good contact at there. Just search the net for "unity plaza mafia". It is much better buying from a reputed place paying little more if you think repairs and services.

• Like 2

That is really cheap. In sri Lanka?

One thing don't buy from Unity Plaza if you don't have a good contact at there. Just search the net for "unity plaza mafia". It is much better buying from a reputed place paying little more if you think repairs and services.

Agree with that. You better off getting one on ebay or someone coming down from abroad.

Got my my HP DV4 about year ago for 75K from Australia. its 2nd Gen i5, 4GB Ram, 600HDD, 1GB ATI Radean & Intel generic graphic inter changable, with Win 7.

Got down Asus X series two weeks back. Just 69K. 3rd Gen i3, 4GB ram, 500HDD, Came with Win 8.

I have taken risk of "no local warrenty". I use DV4 for online gaming, no heating issues, bettery still lasts more than 6hrs with intel graphics.

Ado reckless that's a screaming good deal no. I got a pavilion dv6 with 320gb, 4gb, core i3, generic video card for 80,000/- an year before that. With win7. Feel a bit ripped off

Yeah machan it was a good deal, bought it from Unity. But we also got three HP 630's for office with mine.

Agree with that. You better off getting one on ebay or someone coming down from abroad.

Got my my HP DV4 about year ago for 75K from Australia. its 2nd Gen i5, 4GB Ram, 600HDD, 1GB ATI Radean & Intel generic graphic inter changable, with Win 7.

Got down Asus X series two weeks back. Just 69K. 3rd Gen i3, 4GB ram, 500HDD, Came with Win 8.

I have taken risk of "no local warrenty". I use DV4 for online gaming, no heating issues, bettery still lasts more than 6hrs with intel graphics.

Your both deals are very good since they come with the original OS.

If you can buy one from USA and bring down here there are great offers from Dell and HP. They offer customers to return their laptop/ pc if they are not satisfied with it (withing 3 months or something if I remember correctly). These returned machines are sold back for very low prices. Most of the times these are in very good cosmetic and performance conditions. They only sell these in side USA due to laws.

BTW try to get a minimum i5 (3rd gen) processor, 4 GB RAM (1600 MHz), 1 GB NVIDIA (GT 630M series at least. GTX will rock in games. But consumes more power) or Radeon 6000+ dedicated VRAM, if you can get an SSD or hybrid HDD what ever capacity you want, 6 cell battery (last about 3-4 hours) or if you can 9 cell. Higher is better. And if you think to use Win 8 go for a touch display. You wont regret.

Here is another deal if you can get http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&kc=&oc=fndnu177h&dgc=BA&cid=266740&lid=4859195&acd=12309183969360121.

Edited by Nirosha

If you can buy one from USA and bring down here there are great offers from Dell and HP. They offer customers to return their laptop/ pc if they are not satisfied with it (withing 3 months or something if I remember correctly). These returned machines are sold back for very low prices. Most of the times these are in very good cosmetic and performance conditions. They only sell these in side USA due to laws.

also the price of the usd is a little down these days, only thing that worries me is the international warranty. Nobody seems to take it up in sl if it develop any trouble :(

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good laptop around 70-75k ,also need to know if they come with windows OS (licenced copy) or need to buy,I prefer an Intel processor

Just visit www.laptop.lk You will find plenty of options with prices. You would be able to go for a core i5 3rd generation for your budjet. But for the licensed sw, you might need to spend separately mate.

Edited by SpeedyAsA

Ado reckless that's a screaming good deal no. I got a pavilion dv6 with 320gb, 4gb, core i3, generic video card for 80,000/- an year before that. With win7. Feel a bit ripped off

Oh.. that's a bit high price Komi...

Oh.. that's a bit high price Komi...

I don't think it is too high price since Komi has bought it with the OS and 4 GB RAM. And I guess i3 is 3rd gen. And its a DV6. Only thing is the smaller HDD.

I bought an Acer Extensa Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM (800 MHz), 320 GB HDD, 768 MB VRAM (Generic) for Rs. 79000/- 4 years back.

also the price of the usd is a little down these days, only thing that worries me is the international warranty. Nobody seems to take it up in sl if it develop any trouble :(

OT:

Once I chat with a Dell customer care agent. He confirmed that all the local dealers of the Dell provides the same warranty. Softlogic and Samson IT claims that they are the sole agent for the Dell products. But the Dell customer care agent was unable to confirm that.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Nirosha" data-cid="249719" data-time="1382089286"><p>

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

I don't think it is too high price since Komi has bought it with the OS and 4 GB RAM. And I guess i3 is 3rd gen. And its a DV6. Only thing is the smaller HDD.<br />

I bought an Acer Extensa Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM (800 MHz), 320 GB HDD, 768 MB VRAM (Generic) for Rs. 79000/- 4 years back.</p></blockquote>

This was off eBay and 12,000 for shipping/taxes

Also, am on the lookout for a high end gaming machine. Any recommendations guys? 2 gig branded card, 8+ gig ram and an SSd to run the os is a must. Can't afford Alienware.

Also, am on the lookout for a high end gaming machine. Any recommendations guys? 2 gig branded card, 8+ gig ram and an SSd to run the os is a must. Can't afford Alienware.

Dude I recomend you a good desktop for gaming, I prefer to assemble my desktops. I've heard bad things about using laptops for games, probably because people using laptops that are not designed for gaming. Ones I've tried to run GTA IV in my G6 it went ok for a while with average graphics settings but started to overheat and went off. Never tried any games on it after that.

Still prefer desktops for gaming because screen size and upgrading hardware is not a issue.

Found this after a quick google search

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp

Playing games on a laptop for last 3 year. Already fried the motherboard once. :speechless-smiley-004:

I will agree with Reckless. In a laptop your're pretty much stuck and if it's a desktop there is no limit to the hardware possibilities.

Finally, this is the place you need to be if you are in to latest hardware

https://www.facebook.com/redlinetech

Edited by Chanaka Gunawardena

Desktop is the best for a gaming as Recless and Chanaka said. You can build a one half the price of a gaming laptop. And it is a really fun to build a computer yourself. Like building a car. But more easy. Budges is the limitation.

When building gaming pc you have to consider Power Supply Unit, Cooling System and each equipment compatibility (support for overclock etc) more than normal pc build.

Intel i5-3350P is a good gaming cpu (AMD FX 8320 is cheap alternative and great to overclock)

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MB is cheap but powerful MB (MSI and Asus are good alternatives)

Minimum 8 GB PC 12800 RAM (G. Skill is a good and cheap brand)

Radeon HD 7790, 7850 (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/) GPU

PSU - minimum 80 plus rating (can use online pc psu calculator to calculate)

SSD or a Hybrid HDD (7200 rpm) as you want

Good Full or Micro tower casing with extra exhaust fans (or you can install water cooling system)

Monitor 20" or higher LED

Edited by Nirosha

Desktop is the best for a gaming as Recless and Chanaka said. You can build a one half the price of a gaming laptop. And it is a really fun to build a computer yourself. Like building a car. But more easy. Budges is the limitation.

When building gaming pc you have to consider Power Supply Unit, Cooling System and each equipment compatibility (support for overclock etc) more than normal pc build.

Intel i5-3350P is a good gaming cpu (AMD FX 8320 is cheap alternative and great to overclock)

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MB is cheap but powerful MB (MSI and Asus are good alternatives)

Minimum 8 GB PC 12800 RAM (G. Skill is a good and cheap brand)

Radeon HD 7790, 7850 (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/) GPU

PSU - minimum 80 plus rating (can use online pc psu calculator to calculate)

SSD or a Hybrid HDD (7200 rpm) as you want

Good Full or Micro tower casing with extra exhaust fans (or you can install water cooling system)

Monitor 20" or higher LED

thanks man that's great. i'll keep that saved. planning to have one as an entertainment control unit at home. to run on the big screen. to watch blu ray dvd and play games. i'm partial to keyboard controls, so can't really have a PS 3-4 whatever... guess you're right it is a cheaper alternative. and i can plug in and forget for a couple of years. also, do ati/nvidia cards support digital audio out via HDMI or does that port only function as DVI? i don't need a sound card to decode digital audio. got a harman amp sitting out here for that... just need a HDMI or toslink output...

also, do ati/nvidia cards support digital audio out via HDMI or does that port only function as DVI? i don't need a sound card to decode digital audio. got a harman amp sitting out here for that... just need a HDMI or toslink output...

I think newer GPU's support HDMI audio, also the motherboard should also have a audio out if it has a integrated audio chip.

Edited by Reckless

thanks man that's great. i'll keep that saved. planning to have one as an entertainment control unit at home. to run on the big screen. to watch blu ray dvd and play games. i'm partial to keyboard controls, so can't really have a PS 3-4 whatever... guess you're right it is a cheaper alternative. and i can plug in and forget for a couple of years. also, do ati/nvidia cards support digital audio out via HDMI or does that port only function as DVI? i don't need a sound card to decode digital audio. got a harman amp sitting out here for that... just need a HDMI or toslink output...

Yes. Both Radeon/ Nvidia has some models with DDM Audio. (Eg: Radeon HD 7790, Geforce GTX 560 Ti). Also most of the MB comes with built in 5.1 channel sound.

• Like 1

I don't think it is too high price since Komi has bought it with the OS and 4 GB RAM. And I guess i3 is 3rd gen. And its a DV6. Only thing is the smaller HDD.

I bought an Acer Extensa Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM (800 MHz), 320 GB HDD, 768 MB VRAM (Generic) for Rs. 79000/- 4 years back.

Nope Nirosha, an year back, this spec could have been purchased for something arround 73k - 74k.

Komi, the DV series is priced higher than the G6 as they are entertainment class laptops with more bells and whistles.

Toshiba is the only brand where the international warranty is valid in SL. The repair centre is run by John Keels and if you want to confirm this is still the case check out the Toshiba web site and check for the official service centre in Sri Lanka.

Compaq used to have 2 dealerships in SL but last I checked I could not find a reference to either. International warranty will only be honoured if they have an official service centre to carry it into. In the good old days Megadynamics in particular was extremely helpful when it came to issues with Compaqs. This changed when they were bought by HP.