• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are Hybrid Cars Prone To Fire?

coolcar

Recently I saw few news reports on hybrids caught on fire after accidents.

According to those reports hybrids tend to more prone to fire damage.

here is some interesting links

Car catches fire on highway

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/target-5-hybrid-cars-122193889.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/03/tesla_safest_car_ever_made_model_s_ev_crashes_and_burns_only_share_price_hurt/

All above reports might be correct. Some of the accidents happened not because of the type of the car. And one of them dated even on 22.09.2012. If you are wise enough to conduct a survey about other car accidents caused by insane drivers may worthwhile than this topic.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/03/tesla_safest_car_ever_made_model_s_ev_crashes_and_burns_only_share_price_hurt/

Are you planning to buy one?

So you are gonna buy a Hybrid ? Please don't

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Dinukap4" data-cid="249588" data-time="1381840294"><p>

<br />

So you are gonna buy a Hybrid ? Please don't</p></blockquote>

He's the perfect customer.

Apparently there's reports that little kittens are attracted to vtec. God knows I've run into so much pu$$y with my car...

Is this true?

are you telling or asking?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Dinukap4" data-cid="249588" data-time="1381840294"><p>

<br />

Apparently there's reports that little kittens are attracted to vtec. God knows I've run into so much pu$$y with my car...

Is this true?

Why not?

:sport-smiley-004:

Edited by Dinukap4

Hybrid cars are designed in such a way that during an accident if any HV cables are damaged the power supply from the battery is immediately cut off. How ever if there is a direct impact on the HV battery (which is unlikely to happen in most accidents )we cannot rule out the possibility of a fire. The car manufacturers has given lot of thought when designing these cars so they are much safer than you think.One thing that we have to remember is that the chances are slightly higher due to the high voltages involved.

<br />

Is this true?

In those movies, only the big black jeeps from FBI goes over the bridge and blow up on impact, ne?

So I think OP should not worry about buying his Hybrid...

• 2 years later...

Most electrical related fires happens in vehicles due to our makabaas type after market work.

One of my friends Honda insight started indicating hybrid system malfunction after installing a head unit and when inspecting, he found that electrical guy drawn main power supply to head unit via small cable which going to signal lights.

Gladly few fuses were blown, if not it will be a honda on fire :D.

As per Peri's signature, I've apparently got two kinds of chemical storage barrels under my rear seat. And there's a constant chemical reaction going on in the one that is literally under the rear seat (I dismantled the rear seat to take a gander at the HV battery and ventilation system).

Please refer to my signature :D

I don't know what you exactly mean but as I understood, you are thinking, sharing this article is just like girls are discussing hair and makeup.

That's the wrong with you and majority of our nation. We are not considering the basic thing which "safety first".

Safety should be the first of all. In that view, how this information be rubbish. As "tux" said lots of our makabas's doing such kind of wiring works and finally a poor guy like us will be on trouble. I don't know how this happened (by electrical fault, by fuel leak or any other) but any way its due to not following proper safety & maintenance. Knowing this kind of incidents are utmost important by us to select proper persons to repair our car for safe ride. If at-least 10 persons learn some thing by this, that's enough for me.

On the other hand, there are lots of rubbish than this on Autolanka forums.

Always, please learn to respect others thoughts, then only the others will respect your thoughts.

Edited by gayanath

I don't know what you exactly mean but as I understood, you are thinking, sharing this article is just like girls are discussing hair and makeup.

Always, please learn to respect others thoughts, then only the others will respect your thoughts.

You my dear Mr. G are flying so out of it you are totally missing the white elephant in the room. If you actually understood what his signature meant or even bothered to try to figure out its meaning; you would realize that he was referring to the latter part (that is the end) of his statement to answer the question if cars catch fire.

Based on your response here and your posts in other threads you also reflect a problem with the masses in Sri Lanka:

1. Paninnata pera sithanobalima syndrome : Let your tongue do the talking before your brain starts to think

2. Mahadana muththa syndrome : You think you know a lot more than you actually know and preach others on your believes/deduction/hypothesis based on the little you know and outright reject any opinions or facts given to you by others that would contradict the little you know (I am referring to all the hissy fits and conspiracy theories you threw around in regards to oil changes)

• Like 1

You my dear Mr. G are flying so out of it you are totally missing the white elephant in the room. If you actually understood what his signature meant or even bothered to try to figure out its meaning; you would realize that he was referring to the latter part (that is the end) of his statement to answer the question if cars catch fire.

Based on your response here and your posts in other threads you also reflect a problem with the masses in Sri Lanka:

1. Paninnata pera sithanobalima syndrome : Let your tongue do the talking before your brain starts to think

2. Mahadana muththa syndrome : You think you know a lot more than you actually know and preach others on your believes/deduction/hypothesis based on the little you know and outright reject any opinions or facts given to you by others that would contradict the little you know (I am referring to all the hissy fits and conspiracy theories you threw around in regards to oil changes)

Dear iRage,

1. Annunge katha madata panina eka not Professional ne..??

2. Anyway, talking on-behalf of friend is good thing and appreciated.

3. I started my comment as "I don't know what you exactly mean but as I understood". I think you didn't think about it. If he thought as you mentioned, then sorry and I accept my fault. I born as Sinhalese and still think and understand by sinhala (translating from English). Still I couldn't come up to the level of thinking and understanding in English. What I feel is he expected to show some "porathwaya" neglecting the important part. Accept and sorry for my fault again.

4. I think now the first syndrome has clarified well.

5. Regarding the oil change posts which I made earlier, any thing I mentioned has backed by manufacture recommendations, owners manuals, etc. Nothing just thrown like majority(sometimes, including you but not all ways) who not referring the latest technical stuff. Agreed that, experiences are important but when technology change, we have to follow new guidelines to take maximum benefit ("If we have money to buy a car, why we bother about maintenance cost" theory is not suitable to Sri Lankan context as majority of car users are not so rich people here and using them only because of the law quality of public transportation but investing 30% - 50% of monthly salary).However, lots of people (not on this forum, but other Sri Lankan forums & FB pages, etc) now tends to follow new manufacture recommendations with extended changing /service intervals than following Local agents and service stations who take your hard earned money for unnecessary car care. (not only oil changing but for others like engine tune up, etc). Same time I'm 100% agreeing with you that, I know very little only. Hope I clarified 2nd syndrome well.

I don't expect to continue this further and do not expect any reply from you as this will bother to others in the forum.

Dear iRage,

1. Annunge katha madata panina eka not Professional ne..??

2. Anyway, talking on-behalf of friend is good thing and appreciated.

3. I started my comment as "I don't know what you exactly mean but as I understood". I think you didn't think about it. If he thought as you mentioned, then sorry and I accept my fault. I born as Sinhalese and still think and understand by sinhala (translating from English). Still I couldn't come up to the level of thinking and understanding in English. What I feel is he expected to show some "porathwaya" neglecting the important part. Accept and sorry for my fault again.

4. I think now the first syndrome has clarified well.

5. Regarding the oil change posts which I made earlier, any thing I mentioned has backed by manufacture recommendations, owners manuals, etc. Nothing just thrown like majority(sometimes, including you but not all ways) who not referring the latest technical stuff. Agreed that, experiences are important but when technology change, we have to follow new guidelines to take maximum benefit ("If we have money to buy a car, why we bother about maintenance cost" theory is not suitable to Sri Lankan context as majority of car users are not so rich people here and using them only because of the law quality of public transportation but investing 30% - 50% of monthly salary).However, lots of people (not on this forum, but other Sri Lankan forums & FB pages, etc) now tends to follow new manufacture recommendations with extended changing /service intervals than following Local agents and service stations who take your hard earned money for unnecessary car care. (not only oil changing but for others like engine tune up, etc). Same time I'm 100% agreeing with you that, I know very little only. Hope I clarified 2nd syndrome well.

I don't expect to continue this further and do not expect any reply from you as this will bother to others in the forum.

I rest my case as you yourself have validated what I have said and thus I have no reason to reply further as well (I never thought contributions on the forums were "professional" in nature). As a parting statement...Yes you did support your statement with facts on the oil matter....but with facts that were not relevant to the local context (which you still don't accept that it isn't); so lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Edited by iRage

That's the wrong with you and majority of our nation. We are not considering the basic thing which "safety first".

You understood wrong. I was referring to what I said about carrying explosive chemicals under the back seat. ANY car with as ICE carries a fire risk. Fuel is highly combustible and as many safety measure as they put, there is always a risk.

Maybe whats wrong with our nation is people jumping into wrong conclusions and spouting sanctimonious bullshit based on entirely on what the voices in their heads are saying rather than what was actually said?

kNk9e.jpg