• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Monocular Driving? Is It Allowed

tiv

Hi folks,

Just wanted to raise this question as we have a good array of medical professionals here such as Komi (my senior) etc,

Is monocular driving permitted in Sri Lanka? Are there any legislation?

Or should the individual give up driving following an injury, worst case assume absolute blindness in one eye.

A readup on the net reveals it is permitted on the UK after a thorough examination.

Well I do agree there is a threat to the public, then again it is a very sensitive issue, apologies if I've been ignorant in any way

Kindly share your opinions

Thanks

Edited by tiv

There was one chap who was driving a school van for 7 years with just one arm! This was in te papers a couple of years back. Don't u think we have bigger probelms in this country than monocular drivers?

Obviously If one can bribe the examiner, I presume a license can be obtained, what my concern was, is it legal? Well after hearing about the arm, I guess this is the tip of the iceberg..

I have a friend who lost both his legs in an accident. He drives a three wheel has modified break lever so he can use his hand.

And once he was speeding and met with an accident, other party didn't took any action after seen his condition.

I have a friend who lost both his legs in an accident. He drives a three wheel has modified break lever so he can use his hand.

And once he was speeding and met with an accident, other party didn't took any action after seen his condition.

There's a special provision that allows people who lost both legs to drive specially modified vehicles, especially three wheelers. These vehicles generally carry PZ- number plates and they are registered as invalid carriages.

Thanks for starting this thread tiv, A few weeks back, I was having a conversation with a group of my friends at work about a guy at work (who is still in his twenties) who lost vision in one eye due to an accident. He is using a prosthetic eye now and the guy who was also part of the conversation said that he had not even thought about obtaining a license, thinking that he would not be allowed to drive with his condition.

I was really saddened after hearing that and was wondering whether there are options for persons such as this guy...

Well its nice to know that driving is still permitted with this injury, thanks for the info guys!

Vision in both eyes is mandatory to drive a vehicle in SL. For car licenses in SL there is no renewing of the license, but when applying for the first time all appliants are required to go for medical tests where a doctor is required to certify that the candidate is physically fit which includes eye sight. S124 of the SL Motor Traffic Act specifically mentions the fact. In NZ for instance an eye test is mandatory to renew even a car license and partial blindness is not accepted. I am not aware of any country that permits partially blind people to drive.

For bus/lorry licenses in SL there is a process of license renewal and at each renewal a medical test is mandatory which includes an eye test. Since there is no renewal for car licenses in SL even if a license holder was physically fit at the time of obtaining the license originally, any subsequent medical condition ie missing an arm or loss of sight in one eye, will not be subject to a check and such a person will keep on driving till an accident or is detected by a police officer.

If there is vision only in one eye there would be many impediments such as the inability to assess the speed of approach of oncoming vehicles, side vision etc etc and is extremely dangerous.

So just because some people may be driving around in SL with only one eye or only one arm it does not mean it is permitted and "ok" with the law. It only means it has not been detected by the law.

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 1

Vision in both eyes is mandatory to drive a vehicle in SL. For car licenses in SL there is no renewing of the license, but when applying for the first time all appliants are required to go for medical tests where a doctor is required to certify that the candidate is physically fit which includes eye sight. S124 of the SL Motor Traffic Act specifically mentions the fact. In NZ for instance an eye test is mandatory to renew even a car license and partial blindness is not accepted. I am not aware of any country that permits partially blind people to drive.

For bus/lorry licenses in SL there is a process of license renewal and at each renewal a medical test is mandatory which includes an eye test. Since there is no renewal for car licenses in SL even if a license holder was physically fit at the time of obtaining the license originally, any subsequent medical condition ie missing an arm or loss of sight in one eye, will not be subject to a check and such a person will keep on driving till an accident or is detected by a police officer.

If there is vision only in one eye there would be many impediments such as the inability to assess the speed of approach of oncoming vehicles, side vision etc etc and is extremely dangerous.

So just because some people may be driving around in SL with only one eye or only one arm it does not mean it is permitted and "ok" with the law. It only means it has not been detected by the law.

Your facts are out of date for years ,pal. Not only heavy vehicle drivers but also light vehicle drivers have to undergo periodical medical examinations now. And the fact I have mentioned earliar is taken from the guidelines to the doctors who conducting the MEs by the National Motor Traffic Medical Institute .

Your facts are out of date for years ,pal. Not only heavy vehicle drivers but also light vehicle drivers have to undergo periodical medical examinations now. And the fact I have mentioned earliar is taken from the guidelines to the doctors who conducting the MEs by the National Motor Traffic Medical Institute .

Not quite! Don't forget some of us have valid heavy and light vehicle licenses that are valid for life.

Edit:http://www.lawnet.lk/docs/case_law/slr/HTML/1990SLR2V14.htm

Edited by Rumesh88

Yes it is possible to drive vehicles specially modified for disabled (wheelchaired) people. The car has to be modified allowing the hand controls for the peddles. It is possible to convert almost all Automatic vehicles. Yes it is allowed in Sri Lanka but the driver need to obtain the license for that particular vehicle. The vehicle number is printed on the license. But practically in SL you can drive other cars as well.

But not sure about the blind people though. IMO there is a threat for blind people when driving.

Well my car license is valid for life with no date of renewal. I had to go for a medical test including the eye sight when I originally applied for my license and that was all. Do you have a date of renewal for you car license and if so for how long is your license valid and how many times since getting your car license have you gone for a medical test??????

Yes it is possible to drive vehicles specially modified for disabled (wheelchaired) people. The car has to be modified allowing the hand controls for the peddles. It is possible to convert almost all Automatic vehicles. Yes it is allowed in Sri Lanka but the driver need to obtain the license for that particular vehicle. The vehicle number is printed on the license. But practically in SL you can drive other cars as well.

But not sure about the blind people though. IMO there is a threat for blind people when driving.

People with physical impediments, specially hand/arms and severe visual imparements, are not permitted to apply for a driving license under s124 of the Motor traffic Act in Sri Lanka. So people with partial blindness or having the use of only one arm cannot apply for or hold a driving license under the Motor Traffic Act in Sri Lanka.

Edited by CJ5

When I go for medical test for obtain Driving Licence,

Doctor even not look at our face, he continue writing, even total blind person can pass medical exam very easily.

In our country we do only only one life time medical checkup for Driving licen, there is enough people who obtain licen at age 18 and might got vision disorder in 30 years old, but still driving licence

In our country we do only only one life time medical checkup for Driving licen, there is enough people who obtain licen at age 18 and might got vision disorder in 30 years old, but still driving licence

But according to luckey007 ( who seems to be quite up to date with his knowledge on the Motor Traffic Laws of Sri Lanka) he says

Lets see how luckey007 responds/clarifies my query to him above !! :)

... I am not aware of any country that permits partially blind people to drive.

The great google Gods state that the suddha fellows in Canada and the US allow those with monocular vision to hold valid drivers permits /licenses. Something to do with providing accessibility for the visually challenged and all that stuff. Some States / Provinces require that you get instruction on how to check blind spots and judging distance by a certified instructor before you are let loose with a valid D/L; but the fact of that matter is that its available via a special processes for those that need it.

I don't know whether these suddha buggers know what they are doing or not with this particular requirement. It seems kinda weird to me as I'm not convinced whether any amount of instruction would help someone judge distances when they only have vision in one eye; but then again I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if circumstances left me with monocular vision permanently or temporarily...

The great google Gods state that the suddha fellows in Canada and the US allow those with monocular vision to hold valid drivers permits /licenses.

May be google says so...but what google says is not the law is it??? So it is not proof of legitimacy for an individual with monocular vision to drive a car is it????. Under what statute/s and corresponding regulation/s is it permitted in the US and Canada????

Edited by CJ5

May be google says so...but what google says is not the law is it??? So it is not proof of legitimacy for an individual with monocular vision to drive a car is it????. Under what statute/s and corresponding regulation/s is it permitted in the US and Canada????

Easy old boy, don't shoot the messenger.

As for statutes and corresponding rulings: Well, who knows what wacko laws those suddha buggers have and how they interpret them? I can however, provide you with the links I used to base my google call on; and you too can make an informed decision (or not, its all good).

Anyways, as for what the google Gods so bountifully provided see below:

1. For Canada: http://www.ccmta.ca/english/pdf/medical_standards_aug_2011.pdf
  2. For the US: Each state has a different site for the guidelines. See the one for Wisconsin here and for California here. I'll leave it to you to google the rest.
  3. And just for you a special bonus-The UK: https://www.gov.uk/monocular-vision-and-driving
Edited by Kavvz

I don't know whether these suddha buggers know what they are doing or not with this particular requirement. It seems kinda weird to me as I'm not convinced whether any amount of instruction would help someone judge distances when they only have vision in one eye; but then again I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if circumstances left me with monocular vision permanently or temporarily...

I disagree. Human brain can adopt itself to circumvent the issues of this nature. It is true technically, when you lose your binocular vision initially you will have problems in determining the distance but as the time goes on your brain can learn to determine the distance to a certain degree which could be sufficient to drive safely. Think of your 2D television. But when you watch a movie don't you perceive a 3D picture?

Edited by Rumesh88

I disagree. Human brain can adopt itself to circumvent the issues of this nature. It is true technically, when you lose your binocular vision initially you will have problems in determining the distance but as the time goes on your brain can learn to determine the distance to a certain degree which could be sufficient to drive safely. Think of your 2D television. But when you watch a movie don't you perceive a 3D picture?

As apparently after some instruction you can adapt: I guess you have a point.

Edited by Kavvz