• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota 2C Engine Rebuilt

nano31

Which machine shop did you use?

"Odiance" at Pancigawattha. (Since my close relation is working there and I have sent few engines but still no complains, but they are not "posh" as Edirisingha )

Edited by nano31

I'm glad your engine rebuild has gone well. Unfortunately our machine shops are not what they used to be and I've heard quite a few stories of the rebuilds not working out. I was recently trying to help a friend source a new 4D56 engine because of a similar calamity after the rebuild.

In the olden days the practice was to re-bore the block and put oversize pistons. That practice seems to be less prevalent now with more mechanics advising to re sleeve straight away and use the existing pistons (unless damaged) with new piston rings. Personally the block being re-bored should be a better solution as its stronger than an inserted sleeve yet somehow the precision of the machines in use does not seem to be adequate for you get as much mileage as the re sleeve solution...

Can somebody elaborate please?

Members,

Yes what don had mentioned on his post is correct, all machines shops do not recondition their machines’ in every 5 years or so specially engine rebuilding machines.

Machine manufactures recommend carrying out the calibration test of their machines periodically.

I do have Myford lathe it is about 45 years old, machine when they sold same to me in UK. They gave me two sets of bearings for the chuck shaft to be changed after testing. Every 3 years. Do testing by Lathe work any shaft 1 foot long, for me to notice any short comings on the surface of the shaft surface uneven cut.

At pressent they have Electronic Machines are there to test the accuracy of lathe and all machine shop equipment.

Normal old practice is after every Crank shaft regrinding, has to take off the uneven surface of the grinding wheel. To take the oval of the grinding wheel running a tool to get the correct surface of the grinding wheel.

I do not think most machine shops do engine rebuilding, any calibration of their engine rebuilding machines periodically. Failure of rebuild engines are mostly due to this method is not practiced by the engine rebuilders.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Engine rebuilt completed and still just 80km.

I notice very barely visible oil fumes from dip stick (Very hard to detect but I can feel engine oil smell can notice oil vapor on the under bonnet cover ) but definitely NOT exhaust gas.

My mech said it is oil fumes since I use thinner oil (30) it will be disappeared soon.

I did not "cut" the crank so what is the suitable oil thickness and oil brand?

Shall I use oil like Toyota (10/30) or Mobil and change at every 5000km or DS 30 (or 40) cahnge it every 2500km with filter

Edited by nano31

• 2 years later...

I can't exactly tell what's the going price now.

But it's coming very hard to see good condition 2C beacuse it is very old by now.

You are looking at 200-350k depending on the condition.

And,later Caldinas came with 2C-TE and 3C-TE engines. Which are much more refined and fuel efficient.

Non turbo 2C will spoil your whole car experience due to no acceleration at all.

This range of 2c engines were there at carina/corona/corolla /noah/light ace/town ace and various models.

Sourcing a one would not be that harder.

Make sure to get all the stuff including wire harness.

Thanks reply chan5. It is 2C-TE. I am looking for a full overhaul option as well, including all necessary original parts. Do you have any approximate idea how much it would cost with current prices? Based on the difference I am thinking to take a decision....:)

• 1 year later...