• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Should I Use Genuine Toyota Headlights (Xenon) ?

timmy

Question

Hi All,

My car is a Toyota Luxel manufactured in 2002 and it has come with factory fitted Xenon headlights with user adjustable levelling. One thing I have noticed since I bought it 2 years ago is that the headlights are really dim. It is more so because the beam from these xenon headlights are soft violet and they are not as bright as some of the lights you see on cars today (I am not referring to HIDs here). This causes undue strain while driving at night.

The lights, when cold started has a nice blue beam and gradually turns soft violet in 5-10 seconds after starting. Lately the driver side bulb blinks/filckers while driving. I would like the lights to stay blue all throughout as that light is much easier to see.

When asked from Tyt Lnka, they asked me to replace the bulbs which will cost 35k each. I want to know, if buying original bulbs will improve visibility ? Or should I go for an after market bulb ?

Tyt Lanka has only one type of xenon bulb. I would prefer to select a nice blue light and this is why Im wondering if I should go for an after market bulb.

thanks,

timms.

8 answers to this question

Seems to me like a aftermarket HID kit. because from what you explained it seems like 12000k

1. Toyota never made those violet HID's for the luxel afaik

2. genuine HID don't take 5-10 seconds to reach there proper light output more like 3-5 seconds

Best thing to do is to get a branded aftermarket set fixed of 5000k, 6000k or if you want the blue light 8000k

will cost around within 20k for something like Philips or Osram.

And plus i usually buy spares from toyota lanka, so i know how they like to rip us off.

asked 45k per bulb for a 2nd gen prius. got down the same bulb from ebay for 8k

Edited by Schiffer

Seems to me like a aftermarket HID kit. because from what you explained it seems like 12000k

1. Toyota never made those violet HID's for the luxel afaik

2. genuine HID don't take 5-10 seconds to reach there proper light output more like 3-5 seconds

Best thing to do is to get a branded aftermarket set fixed of 5000k, 6000k or if you want the blue light 8000k

will cost around within 20k for something like Philips or Osram.

And plus i usually buy spares from toyota lanka, so i know how they like to rip us off.

asked 45k per bulb for a 2nd gen prius. got down the same bulb from ebay for 8k

There are branded 6000K HIDs that have a bit of violet, not dark violet. My cousin had PIAA HID in his Hiace, it had that violet tint

There are branded 6000K HIDs that have a bit of violet, not dark violet. My cousin had PIAA HID in his Hiace, it had that violet tint

remember that friends toyota lucida. the bugger has 12000k for headlights it emits the same light as the OP said

and the thing is 6000k even a 35w bulbs are pretty bright

the 12000k only suffers from low light output

If you want more light 4300K is the best. This temperature has the highest lumens output and wouldn't be an issue when driving in bad weather too. If you want it to be a bit more bluish go for something between 6000-8000K. They would have a bluish tint but will have a lesser output than the 4300K ones. The visibility in bad weather woudn't be great in the 8000K ones so better stick to 6000K bulbs. Try to buy a brand like BOSCH or Philips as they would last longer than the cheap bulbs. HID bulbs never conk off but will loose output over time.

Guys apologies for taking time to reply to this. When my car was at Tyt Lnk, they looked up the parts and said that the car originally came without Xenon headlights. I find it a little hard to believe cos I have seen the same "double lights" on several other 121's. Coud this be a light set that was developed specifically for later Toyota models ?

Anyway the bad news to me is that the socket that the levelling device fits is loose and due to this the light on the driver side is aimed far too low on the road. The loose socket is also the reason for the flicker/blink. I was told to replace the light set. But I dont know where I can find a similar set of lights in good condition.

My knowledge on lights is limited. I previously thought that the Xenons that came in the HID with the lenses and the Xenons found in cars such as mine with the reflector, were two different kinds of bulbs. They use the same Xenon bulbs dont they ? with ballast and ignitor and all ? When I was referring to HIDs in my OP above I was referring to the lights with the lenses which look really powerful and have a sharp and precise beam pattern.

Supposing that my car was converted to Xenon, I would like to know what it means ? Does it mean that I could possibly fit a lens based HID kit too onto a Toyota Luxel such as mine. Now that would sound interesting B)

Please help me get to the bottom of this. I really donno if the lights are genuninely Xenon or just halogen lights. Only thing I can say by looking from the outside is that there is a reflector. And I couldn't find a ballast or any thing out of the ordinary leading to the lights.

In any case I wouldn't buying bubls from tyt. I know a place in Srnkr Mwth, Dehiwala, where they sell good brands of Xenon lights such as Osram, Philips. IS it possible that I can get the light set repaired ?

thanks all.

timms.

Edited by timmy

The projector lens is essential for high intensity discharge lights as the lenses within that housing focus the beam precisely. Without it, conventional reflectors will only scatter the beam and light output is poor. If you don't have projector lens housing, then hid is useless. (Xenon is just the gas in the light) for now, the only place that brings down afternarket projector lenses is b@r@ stereo in Dehiwela. They have the lens kit, hid's and will instal for 27,000. But it's a Chinese brand.