• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restoring a Toyota Sprinter Trueno

iRage

Thanks guys:

So a few notes on the comments that were made:

- New school Toyota vs. Old School Toyota

Interestingly..a lot of the characteristics of new Toyotas are to be found on old Toyotas :) Having driven both an AE85 (my one) and a few AE86s (belonging to friends in Japan) they both have light steering ! Just like new Toyotas. The manual steering racks do send out some dampened feed back and with upgraded suspension and wheels (which pretty much all AE86s these days have) improve it drastically. (Just like modern day Toyotas...even my Mark X was pretty much similar). Granted the car does have a pretty good balance. Add the high revving 4A-GE's sound...it will make you forgive everything else.  The AE85 in stock form was pretty "rolley-poley" with soft suspension. The AE86 on the other hand does feel a lot more stiffer. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the same feeling of the AE86 on the AE85 as that includes a few hundred additional weld points which I am not ready to do. However, the additional braces have been put on the car.

One of the things I love about the actual AE86 is the mechanical LSD. Unlike Torsen systems or modern electrical systems, you really do feel the mechanical LSDs locking up and making the rear just pull-out. At first I was looking for a rare TRD LSD that actually came for the S type differential (i.e. diff that came in the AE85 and the E70 Corolla sedans, etc..) but those are rare and when they do come up...it is as expensive as car. So resorting to a pulled out rear-end of an AE86 (although I am not sure if I will do it in Sri Lanka)

- Ride height

Thanks Davy....the front is slightly higher than what it should be be. Some o the pics were taken with the ride height I want but you might notice that the camber is off. The camber plates that I had were not compatible with the T3 strut mounts. The new ones are still in a cupboard :)

• 3 years later...
On 10/21/2023 at 2:28 AM, fiat fan said:

still got it @iRage ? would love a stable update from you.

image.png.aed1349198a93c39ff97970670dc77a7.png

Yes...still have it. Nothing much to update as nothing much has been done to it (apart from getting rid of the cold air intake with a mushroom air filter and replacing it with the stock AE86 4A-GE air intake system). A few months ago one of the fuel injectors got spoilt which resulted in the car running really bad. Sadly there were no parts in SL. So now the car sits at home waiting till I am able to ship the parts from Japan. Whilst doing that decided to put in a new (refurbished) idle control valve (which is a wax pellet type) as well along with a few other small fixes).

The pic is of the car being taken away from...uhh....spraymech ? mechspray ? back home. The fuel flow from the broken injector was so bad it was best not to run the car.

It is nearly 10 years since the tinkering and paintwork was done and now there are a few spots with very minor bubbles...and some surface rust on some spots where the paint had chipped or scratched off. So it will need a body refresh as well pretty soon. I am quite happy that it lasted this long :)