• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restoring a Toyota Sprinter Trueno

iRage

Hello everyone:

I am kind of pondering on engines for the Trueno. Right now it has a 7A-GE 20V which was built up by the previous owner which needs some work on it. So kind of pondering on if I should go back to a good old fashioned 4A-GE once the 7A-GE is being a uncooperative.

Does anyone know of any 4A-GE blue/red tops around or if there are any in SL ? If not I guess I could always go for a run of the mill blacktop. Just for curiosity (and as unreasonable as it may sound) how much does one of these things go for these days (sorry been away too long I have no idea what the prices for these things are)?

thanks in advance for any leads/insight ...

Edited by iRage

Does this mean we'll see a AE86 restoration thread soon? :D AFAIK if you're going for a blacktop you'd need to hammer a dent in the firewall to make the dizzy fit, if it's not done already. Or else u'd need a relocation kit to set it up on the front. Lots of resources online!

It might be a very very slow and small thread as:

1. for now I am in SL only for short spells which limits the amount of work I can actually get done...don't want to start anything I can't be there to stand next to

2. previous owner had done most of the work so what I need to do is quite limited...well off the top of my head needs to work on the

- Interior

- Suspension

- Minor electrical work

- Engine tune-up/"calibration" for now (the exh. cam** is slightly off as the extra height of 7A-FA body sets off the cam sprocket of the 4A-GE B/T) with a possible swap and an ECU upgrade in the future.

**...the car has a tendency to over heat when pushed a little bit or run for sometime, and then there is no power at low rpms and has a surge at about 3500rpm and then dies off again.

- Upgrade the rear (diff + brakes)

- Exhaust

Okay..so maybe the list is not too short...at least apart from the slight mis-alignment of a door the body work is pretty much done up :)

Yes the previous owner had bought it in 2009/2010 ? and started to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears slowly restoring/converting it over the last 2 to 3 years....he was letting it go quite reluctantly due to "personal/family" reasons...

Edited by iRage

Nice Mate.

btw regarding your original question. if i was you, i would stick with the 7A-GE since its a bit of a rare engine compared to the 4A-GE

and not like the 20v 4A-GE was a original engine for it.

btw why dont you consider a 4A-GZE?

Nice Mate.

btw regarding your original question. if i was you, i would stick with the 7A-GE since its a bit of a rare engine compared to the 4A-GE

and not like the 20v 4A-GE was a original engine for it.

btw why dont you consider a 4A-GZE?

Well Toyo never really officially made a 7A-GE. Its enthusiast made by sticking a 4A-GE head on a 1.8L 7A-FE block.

Hello everyone:

I am kind of pondering on engines for the Trueno. Right now it has a 7A-GE 20V which was built up by the previous owner which needs some work on it. So kind of pondering on if I should go back to a good old fashioned 4A-GE once the 7A-GE is being a uncooperative.

Does anyone know of any 4A-GE blue/red tops around or if there are any in SL ? If not I guess I could always go for a run of the mill blacktop. Just for curiosity (and as unreasonable as it may sound) how much does one of these things go for these days (sorry been away too long I have no idea what the prices for these things are)?

thanks in advance for any leads/insight ...

Saw a add on popular free classifieds site for a 4age Black top with ECU for 150K. Didn't look too good though.

Edited by c1nder

I dunno...Truenos and NA engines are a perfect match.

Well Toyo never really officially made a 7A-GE. Its enthusiast made by sticking a 4A-GE head on a 1.8L 7A-FE block.

@jaliya - u do have a point mate. The trueno is much suited with a NA engine.

@c1nder - my point exactly. Neither those engines are original so between them i choose the 7A-GE. It is practiced in japan but rarely in sri lanka to change the head of the 7A-FE. It sort of make it more exclusive IMHO.

How did I miss this thread. Irage, we don't care if you spend one day here and 364 in timbuktoo. We want a build thread!! Hoonigan is out of sl as well but that ain't stopping him! Dude that is one swee-eeet ride! Since most of the engine work is done why don't you start on the rest. As Schiffer says if the 7age is rare then keep it. Would love to see this car in concourse condition. I'm guessing its gone from one loving owner to another!

iRage.....there is a disconnected fan wire of the RH side electric fan. It was too much electric load as I was not pushing the car. If you connect that there should be enough cooling.

Check whether the VVT is getting power. The car pulls hard after 4000rpm when the VVT kicks in.

Hey fix that muffler before you leave and meet me, I'd love to hear that tone.... :music-smiley-004:

Guys, do you know that I sold the car to a guy who didn't even see the car personally, not a single test drive.

Basically we did a transaction without even seeing each other...That level of trust, you hardly find in SL auto market.

• Like 2

Dude the title of this thread is way too inconspicuous to us less familiar with the infamous 86.

Congratulations on your new ride and it's great to see it change hands between one caring owner to another.

Judging by your plan it's going to be a sweet sweet ride. I've no idea about the engine choices you're looking at but by the sound of things, maybe you can look at rebuilding the one you have...maybe with some goodies to spice things up a bit.

Like Komi mentioned, you and me are somewhat in the same boat. It is definitely a challenge to keep track of things when you're not in the country...Especially not being able to touch the damned thing or see it in person to enjoy it blossom into what you dreamed up.

But don't let that stop you mate. You have found a car that is a rare sight, and you have the right vision for it. Things will fall in place.

Good luck and do keep us posted. Will serve as motivation for some of us as well :)

Thanks guys ! …supposed vacation/down time in SL seems to always end up being busier than actual work J

In regards to purchasing the car; just going through Rachitha’s emails and answers to all the pesky questions I had to proxy through my dad …there really wasn’t anything more to ponder about. Sometimes when you know you just know…

@Rachitha: There is a little clip wire that keeps popping out but although that was fixed it still did over heat (but granted that does happen when I am quite “ungentle” with it which is not that frequent)

I am keeping the 7A-GE…but I would like to find myself a RED/Blue top 4A-GE so that “someday” I can swap it in if and when the 7A-GE fails and if not for a second project that is lurking in the back of my mind…I don’t believe these things would be easy to find in SL (if at all)…

Got the interior out a few days ago to get the seats re-done along with the door cards straightened out (nothing wrong with them; the protective cover has shrunk and is making the board bend)… decided to go with the whole 80s themed seats…the tacky simplicity of the seat design is somewhat appealing to me.

Was planning to go meet Komi and get some rear struts done up but seems like it is going to be put on hold for now. Right now I need to tackle some electrical work and a pesky little oil leak in the diff before I take off again later tonight.

@Schiffer: Yes that car is so "droolsome" there was another one featured on SH which I can't seem to find right now

@ JohnCooper: The 7A-GE is not a factory motor. It is basically the bottom of a 7A-FE mated with the top of a 4A-GE. In this case the top is off a blacktop...

• 4 weeks later...