• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Great Debate - Rice Or Spice? Or Both? Or Neither?

Blitz

Guys here's a question..would it be justifiable to slap major fiber on, huge wing, underlights etc etc, if the car had been worked on just as much under the hood?

For example, is the pink civic justifiable if it's pushing 450hp at the wheels (hypothetically)?

Guys here's a question..would it be justifiable to slap major fiber on, huge wing, underlights etc etc, if the car had been worked on just as much under the hood?

For example, is the pink civic justifiable if it's pushing 450hp at the wheels (hypothetically)?

no.

all that homogay fiber will probably start rattling and falling apart in high speeds. even if they don't, this fiber work serves no aerodynamic purposes and will only add weight to the car.

guys guys, let just say that this is one method of modifying, and ours is another. MD got into a huge fracas over this on kelum_wj's page about performance mods. go see the thread "car modifications for beginners" you'll see what i mean. he posted the homeega civic there as well, citing that its another way of looking at things.

these mods, done this way, cna't support power, and of course, are done for visual shock rather than the visceral shock. so they don't really need to GO very fast to be noticed. in fact, the slower the better.

so let's not bash them. we can't save them, because that mindset is in our minds. its like saying jesus/buddha/muhamed is right, and therefore we must convince the rest of the lot.

i live by the dhamma, but i don't force it down other's throats. i have a car that has less fibre than my morning meal and more horses than the mounted police. and i wouldn't force that down anyone's throat either.

I think Hoonigan has brought up a very good talking point here....Kudos!...I would like a proper explanation too.

BTW I'm not trying to be the rice police here and nor am I trolling(atleast for now :D )...I hope we can discuss this issue at length...

@Crosswind...Fiberglass has been used for building production cars and kit cars many a time.Any material if not properly made,as you say, will rattle and fall off at speed..I think you need to give some credit to these guys cos most of these heavy bodykits are well made and quite strong.You're quite right about their aerodynamic properties though.The turbulence caused inside the wheel arches alone would create significant drag.

@Komi...machan with all respect you say "lets not bash them blah blah blah"...But you're always one of the first to comment on pictures with rice cars...Usually people who are content with what they drive do not get any satisfaction from laughing at other people's tastes...

And FYI the owners of these cars do not need saving.Most of them are very intelligent and are fully aware of their car's capabilities...it may be rice to you and I.but they like it that way...so I say good for them!

Let the negative reps commence!

• Like 4

Well I posed the question because I honestly can't make up my mind in that sort of a scenario. Emphasis on performance to go with the cosmetics.

I mean you can't effectively ridicule a Civic that looks like the Boralla thorana if you can't catch him in your factory fresh M3, right?

Well I posed the question because I honestly can't make up my mind in that sort of a scenario. Emphasis on performance to go with the cosmetics.

I mean you can't effectively ridicule a Civic that looks like the Boralla thorana if you can't catch him in your factory fresh M3, right?

Actually there is such a car.Thilina's old eg8 has been riced up by the new owner but it still has the turbo and intercooler kit....and still crazy fast!

I think Hoonigan has brought up a very good talking point here....Kudos!...I would like a proper explanation too.

BTW I'm not trying to be the rice police here and nor am I trolling(atleast for now :D )...I hope we can discuss this issue at length...

@Crosswind...Fiberglass has been used for building production cars and kit cars many a time.Any material if not properly made,as you say, will rattle and fall off at speed..I think you need to give some credit to these guys cos most of these heavy bodykits are well made and quite strong.You're quite right about their aerodynamic properties though.The turbulence caused inside the wheel arches alone would create significant drag.

@Komi...machan with all respect you say "lets not bash them blah blah blah"...But you're always one of the first to comment on pictures with rice cars...Usually people who are content with what they drive do not get any satisfaction from laughing at other people's tastes...

And FYI the owners of these cars do not need saving.Most of them are very intelligent and are fully aware of their car's capabilities...it may be rice to you and I.but they like it that way...so I say good for them!

Let the negative reps commence!

Well. In my opinion, to be an ultimate automobile enthusiast, one should be able to appreciate different varieties of automobiles shouldn't he?

Let the automobile be classic or modern , two or more wheeler, a riced up or factory tuned or performance tuned, euro or jap or other etc etc.

Liking one category of automobile is fine. Disliking another too is fine.. But bitching about somebody else's car (or anything for that matter) just because you don't like that category is not, what I would say, manly..

BTW isn't this thread supposed to be "funniest moments"??

• Like 2

Actually there is such a car.Thilina's old eg8 has been riced up by the new owner but it still has the turbo and intercooler kit....and still crazy fast!

Some EG8s have had some harsh times...but a turbo intercooler set up sounds just perfect.

Well. In my opinion, to be an ultimate automobile enthusiast, one should be able to appreciate different varieties of automobiles shouldn't he?

Let the automobile be classic or modern , two or more wheeler, a riced up or factory tuned or performance tuned, euro or jap or other etc etc.

Liking one category of automobile is fine. Disliking another too is fine.. But bitching about somebody else's car (or anything for that matter) just because you don't like that category is not, what I would say, manly..

BTW isn't this thread supposed to be "funniest moments"??

I don't know machan, an M3 eating ricer paints a pretty funny picture for me :D

I don't know machan, an M3 eating ricer paints a pretty funny picture for me :D

True..!

I just got a funny idea. Maybe in a parallel universe, a group of ricers would maintain a thread of "funniest moments" full of AMG mercs, M's, Shelby's etc.

True..!

I just got a funny idea. Maybe in a parallel universe, a group of ricers would maintain a thread of "funniest moments" full of AMG mercs, M's, Shelby's etc.

What parallel universe men. Go see elakiri

And md, oh ye of little faith! After the homeega incident on fb Have I said anything negative about rice? Don't be such a vindictive b*tch man. Give a guy a chance!

Don't be such a vindictive b*tch man. Give a guy a chance!
Hmm true...I withdraw my comment... :)

What the hell man!! I just put the pop-corn in the microwave expecting to see some massive drama, and you guys kiss and make up...what the hall man! What the hell!!! Now i'm jusy going to throw away all that good pop-corn.. wasted electricity heating it also.. chik witharak...

• Like 5

Inspired by Dosthara, MD, Hoonigan et al's discussion on the Funniest moments thread as well as all the theatre on kelum_wjs performance mods thread, this thread has been opened for the purpose of continuing the civilized debate begun on the subject in that thread (See, we can do that too...) I shall move the posts over from there to this, you may continue it here... Keep it civilized gents, has potential to be an interesting topic.

The subject by the way, is the differing views people have on how best to modify a car...

Floor is open, keep it clean.

Ok here are my two rupees. Comes as no surprise:

I say spice. No rice. Because I believe jap vehicles of that era look absolutely fabulous and timeless the way they rolled out of the factory. Not these buckets we have now. I mean anything made from the late 80's to late '90's.

They were also developed with a lot of scope left for performance mods. I mean, the stuff you can do with a honda b series or d series is just insane! As with a 4age, nissan 6 pots, Mitsu 2 liters, boxers...

That being said, the veilside rx in Tokyo drift stole my heart. The advance audio guy's local copy of it didn't

Edited by Komisiripala
  • Like 3