• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motoring Scams In Sri Lanka

tinyman

Dear All,

I found that the original mileage of a second handed vehicle can be checked if the inspection has been done by JEVIC. Simply go to the Jevic website and request for on-line verification of odometer reading.

http://www.jevic.com/jevic-initiatives/e-certificates/

I hope the certification agency is trustworthy!!!!!

Edited by udayap

Dear All,

I found that the original mileage of a second handed vehicle can be checked if the inspection has been done by JEVIC. Simply go to the Jevic website and request for on-line verification of odometer reading.

http://www.jevic.com/jevic-initiatives/e-certificates/

I hope the certification agency is trustworthy!!!!!

The online search has never worked for me. A couple of times I went online and checked my/family cars in Japan after doing the annual inspection and after doing the shaken test. It still didn't show anything even after I know it was registered !

For me using the service to determine accuracy of the mileage is somewhat of a lost cause. Brand new cars are exempt from shaken for the first three years and in most cases the annual inspection for these new cars are not registered not to mention is "recommended" and not "mandatory". For a car 3 years or older;the shaken is done only every 2 years. So any official mileage from the shaken would be the registration of the car when it was brand new which could be from 3 years ago or would have a two year gap for an older car. So if the mileage for this report is derived from shaken records there is a huge grey area. However you should be able to get info on whether at any point the car claimed mandatory insurance claim, etc..(in Japan when you register a car you have to pay for mandatory government liability insurance for the car, which usually is complemented with insurance from a company).

• 4 weeks later...

It works pretty well if the vehicle was inspected by JEVIC...but if it wasn't inspected by JEVIC what they provide you is the registration information from the road worthiness certificate (annual maintenance or shaken) which can be either a hit or miss depending on the registration period of the car and how it was maintained (road worthy cert is not mandatory especially for B/N cars but done by the dealerships under warranty anyway). Since this particular car is one year old either JEVIC did the export certificate or it got the info from the annual inspection.

The check is not 100% accurate but I guess it shows if some hanky panky has been done by the importer.

Edited by iRage

Members,

My post #50 I explained, detail information how our Computer software experts, do this adjusting odometers of motor vehicles.

There are some vehicles they charge Rupees 20000/00 to reduce the meter. Because difficulty of the job and time taken.

After adjusting only the meter. That is not the end of the job.After the first start the meter comes back to the old reading.

Therefore entire setup has to be adjusted to give the reading the used car dealer wants.

The said job first had taken three days and more than forty hours of day and night adjustments, to various information the reading get registered on the system.

Above reading adjusting in only on high end vehicles. The new buyer will have to face all maintenance records of the motor vehicle to be multifarious,

Adjusted once the new user will have to keep all maintenance records manually, which will be a problem for a new user of a very expensive vehicle.

To my knowledge this Odometer adjusting is not carried out any more, due to buyers are aware of this now.

Used vehicles which are imported to S L, mostly very new with very low Kilometers’ readings.

There is nothing in this modern world is a secret, can find out in few days by others. Due to computers have taken the entire systems to their control.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Odometer (Digital) adjusting was first started in our country by a Computer hardware and software genius.

Japanese invited him to come to Japan. He did not go as he is wealthy man in our country. He wants do more research here.

ECU mileage using diagnostic tools. Also can be adjusted at present. Our Odometer adjusters had found the way to do same.

Originally they used to bun the first figure, now they have total knowledge to reduce the Odometers.

There is nothing on computers software people can do in this world,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I find this hard to believe. It's a digital value, not like a number written on paper where you just go erase a digit. Hence I would believe that at the core, it would be represented in binary, hence multiple's of 2 (1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128.....)

Or worse at a slightly higher level it would be in something like 2.3*10^4.. Even in this case if they can change the "4", any of the other digits should be changeable.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to add another case,

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=142180

This was previously advertised in Autolanka as well (the adv is no more there). The meter reading was more than 100,000 km when my brother sold the car for 2.3Mn couple of weeks ago.

Now the same car is here again with meter at 49,000km and a price tag of 2.7Mn.

Its true that honest people can rarely make a buying and selling business in SL, I have nothing against the seller as it is his wish to do what ever he wants after buying a vehicle. I just wanted to make the new buyer aware of what he is in to as there may be other parts changed as well.

I wonder whether Autolanka can have a policy to check something before re-advertising a car, such that there will be a standard or a reputation for the cars that are advertised in Autolanka. Just a thought....

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to add another case,

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=142180

This was previously advertised in Autolanka as well (the adv is no more there). The meter reading was more than 100,000 km when my brother sold the car for 2.3Mn couple of weeks ago.

Now the same car is here again with meter at 49,000km and a price tag of 2.7Mn.

Its true that honest people can rarely make a buying and selling business in SL, I have nothing against the seller as it is his wish to do what ever he wants after buying a vehicle. I just wanted to make the new buyer aware of what he is in to as there may be other parts changed as well.

I wonder whether Autolanka can have a policy to check something before re-advertising a car, such that there will be a standard or a reputation for the cars that are advertised in Autolanka. Just a thought....

Racticha,.

This is fraud. If your brother come forward with a complain then the advertiser will have to face the problems.

Contact this person and request him to prove the Kilometers advertised is genuine.

Person who adjusted the meter also will be in trouble.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Racticha,.

This is fraud. If your brother come forward with a complain then the advertiser will have to face the problems.

Contact this person and request him to prove the Kilometers advertised is genuine.

Person who adjusted the meter also will be in trouble.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Unfortunately sylvi we no longer live in a society where a person cares much about being honorable. Should Rachitha call the advertiser, the advertiser is bound to tell him to get lost. And he'll continue to advertise the car at 49,000km.

The only think we can do is, give the a$$hole a hard-time about being fraudulent. So boys, lets call the fella and give him a taste of what he deserves.

For Registration of a New Vehicle ...we must submit the original JAAI,JEVIC or any Odometer verification Certificate...as far as i knw you cn get these checked with Agents...Honda and Toyota Agents has the tools to check Odometer reading.....

In this case, my brother did the last service at A*W and he also replaced the oxygen sensor. So the odometer value must be recorded at A*W..

There is no point in troubling the advertiser, this is quite a common practice in SL to change the mileage. I hope that the new buyer will at least come across this thread and be aware of his new car.

In this case, my brother did the last service at A*W and he also replaced the oxygen sensor. So the odometer value must be recorded at A*W..

There is no point in troubling the advertiser, this is quite a common practice in SL to change the mileage. I hope that the new buyer will at least come across this thread and be aware of his new car.

or at least bother to ask or check for any service records and since it was a brand new import check if it is legit with the agents?

• 8 months later...

Hi All

This is for everyone to post comments of anyone who might have tried to commit fraud, or your past experiences.

My fair share of frauds:

I was going to purchase an Aqua for 3.5 Million, it stated it was an auc grade 4.5 with minor a1, insipicious dings and dents, that's fine.

Refused to provide the auc sheet, Toyota said it was fine, but revealed repaining had been done, was going to complete the transaction when I found out that the car was actually an V3/U3 Accident, and eventhrough not major, it was classified as an auc grade 3.5, Not acceptable, manupulating and lying indistinctive is Fraud! The personal seller who bought down this vehicle had altered it to look genuine, If he was honest in the begining about everything else, we would have averted this!

It was not from a car sale, but someone who personally imported the vehicle, why can't people be honest and provide genuine information.

Because its a business and they are trying to make as much money as they can.

As they say, buyer be aware!

How did you find out that the car's actual auction grade is 3.5?

I asked my friend to do his own research, after finding the inspection papers they gave a reference, after looking at the reference was able to find the real auction grade.

Because its a business and they are trying to make as much money as they can.

As they say, buyer be aware!

I Understand it's a business, but that doesn't mean they should commit fraud by falsifying the papers, people pay according to the condition and grade, and no one should lie just to make a few bucks more.

In 2011 I saw to my own eyes, where a 2008 model light blueish toyota axio x grade special edition was being converted into a G grade at the Indra traders workshop in slave island. What they did was only changing the badge where the price will increase by about 4 lakhs. There were many who never knew that the original G grade came with push start while x grade with key start. Even vehicle valuers don't indicate any repairs for accidents in their valuation sheet. Why this poeple are so dishonest?

• Like 1