• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice Needed -Cctv Camera System

udayap

Guys,

I thought of installing a surveillance camera system for my house (around 6 cameras needed). The companies installing such systems quoted an unacceptable charge (200000 Rs), thus thought of installing the system by myself. Thankful, if you could share your experiences, on followings:

1. Selection of cameras (suitable type for range 6000 -8000 rs, what are the specifications i should look for)

2. Selection of DVR (expecting to hook to a wireless router for on-line surveillance)

3. Good Alarm system to couple (with the SMS facility)

4. Reasonable and trustworthy places in Colombo for shopping (I am not from Colombo)

5. Any other considerations.

Many thanks

Edited by udayap

CCTV is a good idea if someone is real time in surveillance, which would be not that practical in a house.

What is the point of having video footage if the house is robbed anyway.

My personal experience, my credit card was stolen and the culprit tried to use it at a ATM, through the bank I got the video to police about 3 years back so far nothing has happened.

For a house personally I would go for a good quality alarm system which would be able to cover more points than few cameras.

Guys,

I thought of installing a surveillance camera system for my house (around 6 cameras needed). The companies installing such systems quoted an unacceptable charge (200000 Rs), thus thought of installing the system by myself. Thankful, if you could share your experiences, on followings:

1. Selection of cameras (suitable type for range 6000 -8000 rs, what are the specifications i should look for)

2. Selection of DVR (expecting to hook to a wireless router for on-line surveillance)

3. Good Alarm system to couple (with the SMS facility)

4. Reasonable and trustworthy places in Colombo for shopping (I am not from Colombo)

5. Any other considerations.

Many thanks

Actually I'm not much familiar with CCTV cameras. But you can try your home pc + web cams.

I think its better if you try a web cam before going to a CCTV system.

It cost less and only need your pc (you have to keep the pc + internet turned on all the time) to record and email etc. Only disadvantage is you need long USB cables to connect pc and the cam. You can buy a good web cam less than Rs. 5000.00 from any where. 2 mpxl camera is enough.

Also there are lots of free software with lot of facilities (motion detection, streaming, email etc).

Also there are lots of articles on the net on this.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10301349-248.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/webcam-home-surveillance-tools/

http://lifehacker.com/5860538/how-to-turn-your-webcam-into-a-streaming-motion+detecting-surveillance-system

http://www.techhive.com/article/242574/how_to_use_your_pc_webcam_to_monitor_your_home.html

http://www.ugolog.com/pages/25-applications-to-turn-your-webcam-into-home-security-system

Setting up a CCTV can be done by your self, however depend on your wiring skills the job will looks more neat. I have a contact who do it as a profession. However for 6 camera's only the 200K is little too high. The camera's will have price range from 4500 - 12500, based on wireless, ip, outdoor features. I think you'll have to have 8 channel DVR, because I'm not sure abt 6 channel DVRs available or not.

Anyhow as stated above a good security system will be much useful. There are systems that has infrared scanning, door locks and siren with SMS alert facility. most important thing you wanna be watchful is the battery life of bluetooth based sensors. Most systems will require battery replacement in one to two years time.

Thanks all,

Finally settled with a reasonable Burglar Alarm Systems with GSM alarm facility. Later, i can go for a CCTV system.

What I noticed was, most of the people who advertise in the H**A** are fully dependent on supplies from 1st cross street and they keep around Rs. 20000 of profit. So, I bought the system from 1st cross street and fixed it by myself.

Hope you obtained a warranty from them. The reliability of the 1st cross street vendors products are questionable.

Suggest to install a good protective earth (less than 10 Ohms)

{this will cost you around Rs. 10,000/= with bonded Cu rods, provided the soil condition is good}

and,

if the costs permits, install Surge Arrestors for protection.

Hope you obtained a warranty from them. The reliability of the 1st cross street vendors products are questionable.

{this will cost you around Rs. 10,000/= with bonded Cu rods, provided the soil condition is good}

and,

Yes, I highly doubt about the warranty they are offering. However, they have indicated about the warranty in the invoice.

I had to depend on 1st cross street vendors since i was not aware about other places in Colombo who sell burglar alarms. Actually, it was not a pleasant experience for me to spend hard earned money to buy a doubtful product, but i had no other choices.

the Alarm came with a two pin plug top, not designed to connect an earth wire!!!!!

Thanks all,

Finally settled with a reasonable Burglar Alarm Systems with GSM alarm facility. Later, i can go for a CCTV system.

What I noticed was, most of the people who advertise in the H**A** are fully dependent on supplies from 1st cross street and they keep around Rs. 20000 of profit. So, I bought the system from 1st cross street and fixed it by myself.

Did you buy the main unit and the magnetic door switches and motion sensors seperately, or did they offer you a complete package?

Yes, I highly doubt about the warranty they are offering. However, they have indicated about the warranty in the invoice.

I had to depend on 1st cross street vendors since i was not aware about other places in Colombo who sell burglar alarms. Actually, it was not a pleasant experience for me to spend hard earned money to buy a doubtful product, but i had no other choices.

the Alarm came with a two pin plug top, not designed to connect an earth wire!!!!!

The electronic devices, when subjected to high voltage surges, coming through mains supply can be damaged easily. since the system you purchased required to be in operation 24 hrs a day it should be protected from the said failures.

No earth pin means the system is designed such that it will not pass surge currents to the ground. You will be better off with connecting it to the power supply through an "in line" surge filter or a UPS which has surge suppression.

Any line surges will not enter you device, and get grounded through the said units. Having a good earth will make this process effective.

If you use a UPS it will operate during power failures without any trouble (Backup time will depend on your load)

Suggest to install a good protective earth (less than 10 Ohms) {this will cost you around Rs. 10,000/= with bonded Cu rods, provided the soil condition is good} and, if the costs permits, install Surge Arrestors for protection.

XBeat had a very valid point even if you have a two pin plug or your alarm system particularly if you have wires extended or more than couple of meters from multiple cameras and/or alarm sensors, if any, to the unit. You have an earth extended to your plug point and if (while I was typing XBeat has given you the answer and I will just add my two cents to that). In addition to what XBeat has mentioned make sure your wiring has double insulation and where ever you have exposed terminals that they are at a sufficient creep distance from surroundings (like walls metal parts etc). Also make sure your wiring is in a fish-bone pattern and not making loops.

Edited by Rumesh88

and,

Xbeat,

Could you explain how to test protective earthing resistance!!!!

If you want to measure earth resistance you need an earth resistance tester like those made by Fluke, Megger, Avo etc. The most popular method involves two spikes diven to the ground. Check these links http://www.weschler.com/_upload/sitepdfs/techref/gettingdowntoearth.pdf and http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/Download/Asset/2633834_6115_ENG_A_W.PDF

Xbeat,

Could you explain how to test protective earthing resistance!!!!

Your local CEB/LECO maintenance team is capable of measuring it. You will required to give them a tip (although it is illegal that's the way things are done in SL)

• 4 years later...
On 10/4/2018 at 8:32 AM, fiat fan said:

Hey guys.

I am also thinking of getting a cctv system.What would you recommend Ali Express or buy from local(pettah) dealers? 

Thanks guys

I got down a set from Aliexpress about a year back and then got some more cameras. The quality of products can vary. The first batch was fine but the second batch was terrible. I would also recommend Pettah dealers. At least you know what you are going to get.