• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restoration Of A 1955 Peugeot 203

rangerover

Question

Hi Guys

I'm about to start a restoration project for a 1955 Peugeot 203 that was in my family for almost 60 years (one owner / one driver). The car unfortunately has been idle for over 15 years (ever since my grand father passed away). It starts and moves, but has several rust and other niggles to fix.

My aim is to achieve near perfection (almost concours 'd elegance) with this project. Could you guys please advise me on the following, as this is my first ever restoration

1. Recommended place for tinkering (someone with very good experience in working with classics)

2. Complete repair of the interior seating, cushions (including the springs etc), roof lining and door panels

3. Restoration of body trims (should these be replated?) Im looking to get the silver trims and body fittings restored (also need to get the door locks, handles etc tinkered and restored)

4. A complete mechanical inspection and overhaul (a mechanic with experience in working with 203's or peugeot's of similar vintage)

5. A complete paint (I really need the perfect finish) job of the exterior and interior

Appreciate some guidance on the above and on any additional areas I should look at. I have shown the image of the car below

9vsl.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Like 3

Firstly let me wish you the very best of luck with this project! You sir, are a breath of fresh air to this forum!

Where are are you located? There are good tinkers, but I'm guessing one closer to your house would make it easier for you to supervise the work.

For interior, I'd recommend deen's on havelock road. They're a bit pricey but their work is superb.

Firstly let me wish you the very best of luck with this project! You sir, are a breath of fresh air to this forum! Where are are you located? There are good tinkers, but I'm guessing one closer to your house would make it easier for you to supervise the work. For interior, I'd recommend deen's on havelock road. They're a bit pricey but their work is superb.
Good Luck with it Machan!.. and keep us posted :) if you can send a PM to Member Milindu i bet he know couple of good people who work on Classics..

Thanks Guys.

@Komisiripala

I was actually considering Deens for the reupholstering. Will go this weekend and check with them if they can also do the spring replacements etc as well. Also, I reside in Borella. So i guess a tinkering place closer to borella would be the most suitable (I don't mind regularly travelling a bit further, if the quality of work is superior)

Edited by rangerover

Ah... what a way to start the week. The news of another restoration. :)

There are a few Peugeot experts on the forum like harshan, and I'm sure they can guide you with the mechanicals and about sourcing spares. As for tinkering and painting, it'll be a challenge finding a perfectionist which is whom you're looking for, but I'm sure someone on the forum can help you on that too.

If the trims don't have any dents or corrosion, then you can get them chrome plated. If any one of them have decayed, you might have to get the tinker to turn them out or maybe try a salvage yard to find one. I'm not sure about their availability online.

Since you are thinking of a complete restoration, start with the body and chassis restoration first... then move on to the engine, powertrain and the interior at the very end.

All the very best with the restoration! Please keep the thread updated.

Best of luck on your project! and lots of :grinning-smiley-043:

As Komi pointed out, its always a good thing to employ a place close to where you live, where you can visit more often and check the progress of your work. The way things happen in our country is where these baases are fast on asking for money, but slow on doing the actual work!

Please don't forget to update the thread with photos!

Edited by isam

Machan I have a few options for you:

1. you can try my guy he might undertake this for you. His names' Indika. 0777309859. Garage is on gamini mawatha, off gothatuwa road, salamulla Kolonnawa. I've tagged him as "Indika's garage" on four square. His tinker is an excellent eccentric annoying little man. At the mo bugger is working on my datto and a friends Subaru Leone. So it might take some time to start on your car. But workmanship is impeccable, as is the paint. You would've seen the end result on my Teg. He has a booth.

2. PM forum member Chooti Putha he might know a tinker who does house calls. That's a messier operation but at least it's right under your nose.

Ado and tell me how much deens quotes. I need to redo my front seats too. On a budget men.

• Like 1

First and foremost, the best of luck with your restoration. Would love to see more pics of course. The advice I've been given on my project is that the body work/tinkering is the most difficult leg of a restoration. I have been told that any mechanical issues are relatively easy to sort out, given the simplicity of these cars back then compared to the electronic wizardry of today. If I'm not mistaken, MasterDon has a lot of experience with restorations and might be able to help you find a good tinker.

Machan I have a few options for you:

1. you can try my guy he might undertake this for you. His names' Indika. 0777309859. Garage is on gamini mawatha, off gothatuwa road, salamulla Kolonnawa. I've tagged him as "Indika's garage" on four square. His tinker is an excellent eccentric annoying little man. At the mo bugger is working on my datto and a friends Subaru Leone. So it might take some time to start on your car. But workmanship is impeccable, as is the paint. You would've seen the end result on my Teg. He has a booth.

2. PM forum member Chooti Putha he might know a tinker who does house calls. That's a messier operation but at least it's right under your nose.

Ado and tell me how much deens quotes. I need to redo my front seats too. On a budget men.

Thank you all for the contacts and words of encouragement!

@Komisiripala

I'm planning on starting work on this some where in November machang. Just trying to get the budget, garages and parts sourced within the next month or so as I want the project to flow without any hindrance once it starts. Will give your garage guy a call sometime this weeks as well

I will drop in at Deens this friday or Sat and talk to them about the interior and get a quote. Will revert then.

Nice to see another resto project. @rangerover, how good or bad is the body? This is the most critical part of a restoration.

I don't know much about the parts supply of classic Pug parts, but if you want "almost concours 'd elegance" levels then try to buy brand new trim, handles and locks instead of trying to repair them.

the car looks quite good in the pic and i assume the rust is just surface rust as the 203 body steel is very thick so chances of badly rotten body is less

one thing you need to do is check the electrical wiring fully as rats can play hell when the car is garaged and the last thing you need is it to have a short circuit!

please update with more pics of interior and exterior

i assume that this car has 2 nos ,6 volt batteries?

Edited by carboy2011

RangeRover, pm MD and Milindu for advise on what to do... Milindu's dad owns several 203s and he should be able to provide you with lots of useful info.

Best of luck dude!

Thanks for the info machang

Nice to see another resto project. @rangerover, how good or bad is the body? This is the most critical part of a restoration.

I don't know much about the parts supply of classic Pug parts, but if you want "almost concours 'd elegance" levels then try to buy brand new trim, handles and locks instead of trying to repair them.

the car looks quite good in the pic and i assume the rust is just surface rust as the 203 body steel is very thick so chances of badly rotten body is less

one thing you need to do is check the electrical wiring fully as rats can play hell when the car is garaged and the last thing you need is it to have a short circuit!

please update with more pics of interior and exterior

i assume that this car has 2 nos ,6 volt batteries?

The body does have slight surface rust. It is the floorboard that needs work. Also the locks and internals have corroded.

Will take a few more pics later on and update the thread. Hoping to start work sometime after the 18th of Oct. Just sorting out garages and parts at the moment.

Hello Rangerover,long time no see..I'll be glad to help anyone out bro,more so an old college buddy....

Yes Milindu is the best guy to consult for this.But having restored my Citroen recently I also have a few contacts regarding frenchie cars.If you need body trim bits and bobs I know couple of places that has scrapped 203s,Subasinghe motors had some mechanical and interior bits too last I checked...I also have a few connections in the UK,France and Belgium who sent stuff for my duck,some even threw in some free parts because they were amazed a Citroen exists in SL.

As everybody said the car looks good judging by the picture.So it shouldn;t be too hard a project.But don't expect it to be smooth sailing either.Let me know if you need any advice/help with anything specific....Best of luck!

• Like 3

Hello Rangerover,long time no see..I'll be glad to help anyone out bro,more so an old college buddy....

Yes Milindu is the best guy to consult for this.But having restored my Citroen recently I also have a few contacts regarding frenchie cars.If you need body trim bits and bobs I know couple of places that has scrapped 203s,Subasinghe motors had some mechanical and interior bits too last I checked...I also have a few connections in the UK,France and Belgium who sent stuff for my duck,some even threw in some free parts because they were amazed a Citroen exists in SL.

As everybody said the car looks good judging by the picture.So it shouldn;t be too hard a project.But don't expect it to be smooth sailing either.Let me know if you need any advice/help with anything specific....Best of luck!

is yours a citroen 2 CV? if so whcch year ?

Thanks MasterDon.. Will definitely get in touch with you for some guidance in a few weeks, when I plan on getting the ball rolling on this..