• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Jaai/revenue Licence

Chaturathi

The JAAi certificate is not needed in SL. The revenue license display is a legal requirement... :)

He is right.

Most people think they can sell their car for 50k more if the JAAi cert is there. Silly fools.

Displaying the revenue license (in fact a copy of it) is not a legal requirement AFAIK but if you do not have the copy displayed then the cops can stop and ask for the original. If you fail to produce it, then you could be charged. So basically it is for your own convenience that you display the copy.

• Like 2

Displaying the revenue license (in fact a copy of it) is not a legal requirement AFAIK but if you do not have the copy displayed then the cops can stop and ask for the original. If you fail to produce it, then you could be charged. So basically it is for your own convenience that you display the copy.

I think ur Wrong machan. Its compulsory to display the license on the screen.

I think ur Wrong machan. Its compulsory to display the license on the screen.
Yes AFAIK copy of the valid revenue license need to paste in the windscreen.

Have you heard of some one being charged for NOT displaying the revenue license copy on the windscreen? I usually did not put it on my windscreen, but once while I was returning from A"pura a cop stopped me asked for my revenue license and upon producing the original he very politely told me to paste a copy for their convenience as well as mine. True, since then I stick to his advice.

Edited by Rumesh88

The fine for not having the license on the screen is 5000 now. Take a risk and enjoy it :)

To those who say aye!

Can you please quote the MTA clause or the reference to the govt gazette notification to the same? The traffic offences falls under MTA sections 151(2), 148(1-14) and 162. None of these or the regulations issued under them refers to a displaying a copy of the RL on the windscreen. Now that I thrown the gauntlet the floor is yours.

Have you heard of some one being charged for NOT displaying the revenue license copy on the windscreen? I usually did not put it on my windscreen, but once while I was returning from A"pura a cop stopped me asked for my revenue license and upon producing the original he very politely told me to paste a copy for their convenience as well as mine. True, since then I stick to his advice.

Actually machang, I was... :) Few years ago, got stopped at a checkpoint. Did not have the new license pasted and the traffic cop wrote a ticket. Checked with a lawyer, it is legit. It is not enforced that much but if they latch on to it they will.

IMHO, it doesn't take much effort to do so, so why not do it?

Actually machang, I was... :) Few years ago, got stopped at a checkpoint. Did not have the new license pasted and the traffic cop wrote a ticket. Checked with a lawyer, it is legit. It is not enforced that much but if they latch on to it they will.

IMHO, it doesn't take much effort to do so, so why not do it?

Of course, I do agree with you. I do it too. But at times we do things not knowing whether there is a real need. The legal system here is such that if they cannot book you under MTA they will do it under something else. No wonder sometimes innocents get framed up. So much for much touted HRs.

Edited by Rumesh88

Of course, I do agree with you. I do it too. But at times we do things not knowing whether there is a real need. The legal system here is such that if they cannot book you under MTA they will do it under something else. No wonder sometimes innocents get framed up. So much for much touted HRs.

Best way to survive in SL... stay under the radar... ;)

• Like 1

Mates, can't give exact clause and references but I was waiting in line in a post office to pay a fine, got bored and started reading the document you get from the police station (printed on blue colour paper). In the back, it was clearly indicated the fine for not having a copy of the Revenue License pasted on windscreen is Rs. 100.00.

So think there is a legal requirement.

Cheers,

K9M

Section 38 of MTA

38 .The revenue licence issued for any motor vehicle shall

(a) be displaced oil the front of the motor vehicle and placed in a conspicuous position on the left or near side of the motor vehicle, so that the front of the licence and the writing thereon shall be clearly visible at all times to a person standing in front of the motor vehicle on the left or near side thereof ; and

(B) be made available for inspection on demand made by a police officer, Gram Siva Niladhari, or examiner, of by any person authorized in writing by the Commissioner or the licensing authority : Provided, however, that the revenue licence shall be removed from the vehicle and produced when required by a court or the Commissioner for endorsement or retention.

Edited by kr42

Section 38 of MTA

38 .The revenue licence issued for any motor vehicle shall

(a) be displaced oil the front of the motor vehicle and placed in a conspicuous position on the left or near side of the motor vehicle, so that the front of the licence and the writing thereon shall be clearly visible at all times to a person standing in front of the motor vehicle on the left or near side thereof ; and

( B) be made available for inspection on demand made by a police officer, Gram Siva Niladhari, or examiner, of by any person authorized in writing by the Commissioner or the licensing authority : Provided, however, that the revenue licence shall be removed from the vehicle and produced when required by a court or the Commissioner for endorsement or retention.

So it refers to the original to be on display not a copy. Thank you very much kr42 for the clear cut information.