• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Prcedure For Spare Parts

entckauwa

Hi,

Can anybody explain the import procedure for spare parts.

what documents is needed.

Do we need to register with VAT.

And what is the tax percentage.

As Komi says search the forum.

But there is no special process to import spare parts. You don't need a permit for most parts and don't need to be registered for VAT. You are required to pay customs duty and clear the item which will also incurr bonded warehouse costs and clearing agent costs.

Please note the import of certain parts are restricted. This include half cuts, roofs, chassis etc.

I do not know the rate of tax but to be perfectly honest in Sri Lanka customs its a bit random as they will determine the value of items and tax you on their perceived value not your declared value.

has anyone actually got anything down from Kapruka?

I'm curious to know if it is indeed financially viable and trouble free since in theory one doesn't need to actually deal with customs :o

For motor spares, you have to go through customs I think unless they have the same deal as courier companies. For a lot of other stuff some freight companies work on a flat rate basis with the customs.