• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Replace Exhaust System

MV-5

Hi All,

I am going to replace the exhaust system of my car completely to SS (but excluding manifold),

Highly appreciate your ideas and suggestion on following factors,

1. Good place
  2. Rough estimation on cost?
  3. is it a few hours job (go, fix and return)?
  4. If I am ready to spent 30-40% extra from original cost, what are the kind of alterations (slight modifications) which is worth to do?
  5. Any hidden factors that I need to consider?

Vehicle : 2000 Mazda 323 BJ6P , 1.6L NA Manual

1 Could recommend WEPR

2 Would close somewhere between 25-45k (Depends on pipe diameter)
3 Might be not. Could take a day depending on the place u get it done

4 Can be a bolt on no modifications if it's stock diameter

5 Hidden factors like what?

Btw whats the point of doing this? Are u planing to go for a bigger pipe diameter?

1 Could recommend WEPR

6. Might use a fart cannon on a Maruti.

• Like 1

1 Could recommend WEPR

Btw whats the point of doing this? Are u planing to go for a bigger pipe diameter?

thanks kelum,

where is it located (WEPR)?

if the cost is arround 30K , i think i would not do that.

this is the story,

there was a oil leak through sump, then mechanic needed to remove the flange(part connected to manifold) to change the sump packing.

it was attached through 3 studs and bolts to the manifold.

at a glance these pipes are corrode(but in good shape) .

when mechanic tried to do this . two things happened. bracket was broken (in flange), and it was really difficult to remove 3 bolts from studs , then result was two studs broken. but broken parts are still there.

but any how they mange to do the job and install the flange again with bolts to broken studs.but they ask me to go to a good place and fix this properly.

so i though that if the cost is around 15k , then it is good to replace the total exhaust pipe system (with a "light" beat :-) )

anyway this broken studs can not be easily removed.(there might be easy ways, the only solution i can imagine is "weld" a nut to studs and try to remove it using a box spanner).

Now you know the story...

your suggestions?

You know while I have the utmost respect for WEPR and Sacha... their services might be a little overkill for the job you require.I'm sure you can find many silencer joints than can do your job at a fraction of the cost....Please bare in mind that It is so easy for 'online experts' to reccomend expensive places because it is not their money being spent...Good Luck!

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

You know while I have the utmost respect for WEPR and Sacha... their services might be a little overkill for the job you require.I'm sure you can find many silencer joints than can do your job at a fraction of the cost....Please bare in mind that It is so easy for 'online experts' to reccomend expensive places because it is not their money being spent...Good Luck!

thanks for the comment,

could you please PM me , 1-2 reliable places (name + location) ?

Elcardo,Nawala 2805556, 2805514, 5347172, 5346971

Tokimo,Nawinna 0714093737

WEP,Kotte 0777390559

I've added WEPR number for your convenience as well.

Additionally show you car to the silencer joints at Pamankada,Dekada and compare prices.

Buying a imported used exhaust barrel from a recon shop might be cheaper then locally fabricating one...Plus you may get lucky and stumble upon a nice branded specimen like Apexi or HKS.

thanks kelum,

where is it located (WEPR)?

if the cost is arround 30K , i think i would not do that.

this is the story,

there was a oil leak through sump, then mechanic needed to remove the flange(part connected to manifold) to change the sump packing.

it was attached through 3 studs and bolts to the manifold.

at a glance these pipes are corrode(but in good shape) .

when mechanic tried to do this . two things happened. bracket was broken (in flange), and it was really difficult to remove 3 bolts from studs , then result was two studs broken. but broken parts are still there.

but any how they mange to do the job and install the flange again with bolts to broken studs.but they ask me to go to a good place and fix this properly.

so i though that if the cost is around 15k , then it is good to replace the total exhaust pipe system (with a "light" beat :-) )

anyway this broken studs can not be easily removed.(there might be easy ways, the only solution i can imagine is "weld" a nut to studs and try to remove it using a box spanner).

Now you know the story...

your suggestions?

To remove the studs you should take your car to a machine shop. Are the studs stuck in the manifold? They will get them out by hook or crook :) Usually by welding something onto the broken bit and drilling it out. Some heat would have helped as well. Personally I'm not sure if this is an excuse to replace the entire exhaust system.

There are also a tool specifically to remove broken bolts, and you can get them on ebay but not so sure about the quality.

Elcardo,Nawala 2805556, 2805514, 5347172, 5346971

Tokimo,Nawinna 0714093737

WEP,Kotte 0777390559

I've added WEPR number for your convenience as well.

Additionally show you car to the silencer joints at Pamankada,Dekada and compare prices.

Buying a imported used exhaust barrel from a recon shop might be cheaper then locally fabricating one...Plus you may get lucky and stumble upon a nice branded specimen like Apexi or HKS.

Where do you find these recon exhaust barrels? My 20 year old siliencer would probably soon require replacement and its good to know where I might be able to get a replacement (the pipes have been replaced but the barrel though probably a little rusty inside still lives :))

A good walk around delkanda or even an eye out on Facebook can help! I found my apexi ws2 muffler on fb 14,000/- it cost me, and it retails at $750+ on eBay.

Plus the silencer joints on Stratford avenue know what they're doing. They've been sorting my cars out for ages, with good results. Cheaper than elcardo, which is also good.

WEPR, you could say, is the gold standard. Might also be overkill for you.

Think twice before going for a fart cannon. Low frequency vibrations over time can induce vomiting

Where do you find these recon exhaust barrels? My 20 year old siliencer would probably soon require replacement and its good to know where I might be able to get a replacement (the pipes have been replaced but the barrel though probably a little rusty inside still lives :))

What Komi said...recently a friend picked up a HKS barrel from the recon junk shop opposite Dai Lanka...Poking around Kurunegala and Kandy might also yield good results.

What Komi said...recently a friend picked up a HKS barrel from the recon junk shop opposite Dai Lanka...Poking around Kurunegala and Kandy might also yield good results.

But MD, excuse my ignorance here, but if you want to keep your car stock, how does one find a good after market "fit"?

But MD, excuse my ignorance here, but if you want to keep your car stock, how does one find a good after market "fit"?

in my case machan i did a lot of research on what mufflers were quiet, yet allowed enough flow to be sporty. there's a wealth of info regarding exhaust-tech on international teg forums. for both quiet and loud mufflers. dunno how it is for a BJ5P tho.

i narrowed it down to the mugen twin loop, tanabe medallion and the apexi WS2. found all three in sri lanka, mind you. after working my contacts extensively. tanabe was 20,000 in delkanda. mugen was 35,000. then the WS2 just popped up on facebook. just like that. sealed the deal within minutes.

Keep it stock in what way Don?is it the size,the noise or the look?...I'm not sure you can find a non-manufacturer made barrel meeting all those criteria.

You can try repairing the existing silencer.You'll need to open up the resonator chamber,patch up the rusted places and the replace the muffler packings with new ones....If the silencer is beyond salvage it is also possible to replicate it.

Edited by MasterDon

Thanks all for your valuable comments,

considering all your comments and estimated cost, i decided it is better to keep the current system.

so i need to get removed these broken studs. i think the it will not be easy to find out new studs.

i am not quite sure about size, but it might be M10-1.5x88mm

@Don

i have attached a image, red circle shows a one broken stud, and you can see a stud which is not broken, third stud is not visible in the image.

you can see that bolt is fixed by just few threads.

I don't think that i can find these studs from normal Hardware shop. if it should be lathed , then i don't have an idea about the material that it should be done (should resist for high temperature).

Members , any recommended workshop (might not be specific to automobile).?

0t6u.jpg

Edited by MV-5

A good lathe would be able to remove.that stud quite easily.

And don't be in a hurry to machine those studs.Shops like M.C Perera at Sangaraja Mawatha have new high tensile bolts and nuts of various sizes...Also try Madhawa Traders at GIG BUILDING Panchikawatte or Nirmala near the rounabout.

if that fails try taking a walk near the bridge pavement at Panchi...You can see people selling bucket fulls of used automotive nuts,studs,bolts and washers.

A good lathe would be able to remove.that stud quite easily.

And don't be in a hurry to machine those studs.Shops like M.C Perera at Sangaraja Mawatha have new high tensile bolts and nuts of various sizes...Also try Madhawa Traders at GIG BUILDING Panchikawatte or Nirmala near the rounabout.

if that fails try taking a walk near the bridge pavement at Panchi...You can see people selling bucket fulls of used automotive nuts,studs,bolts and washers.

Thanx MD