• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake Disks Finishing

CodeMaster

Question

Is it a good idea to finish the disc before replacing new brake pads. My garage guy suggest me that. My discs are worn bit and need to replace caliper repair kits as well. Is it worth of refinish discs? It's a11 yer old car...I don’t want to spend on unnecessary things if it's not really required. Thanks… :speechless-smiley-006:

I assume you mean "resurfacing" when you said "finishing" and no, you don't have to resurface the rotors if they are not warped or if the surfaces are not damaged. Resurfacing actually takes a thin layer off the rotor to make the surface even, so it should be left as a last resort in my opinion.

Your mechanic must have insisted on getting them resurfaced because they've gone bad (rust/chippped/groved).

Edited by Davy

the correct word is pasting

Facing not pasting. Pasting might mean something like bonding with glue.

Under normal usage you should not need to resurface brake discs. They only develop scratches if you don't change pads on time. Resurfacing takes a layer of metal off from the brake disc shortening its usable life time. At a certain thickness a the discs themselves need to be replaced.

Facing not pasting. Pasting might mean something like bonding with glue.

That's exactly what he meant I guess. He was referring to pasting of brake pads not facing of disks (OMG! I can't believe this). Am I right ravinfrnnd?

yes they tend to paste break pads with asbestos material and most makabasses promote it even clutch plates can be pasted like that. However the most serious issue is asbestos is a carcinogen even cheap counterfeit break pads contain high amount of asbestos. with the application of breaks asbestos dust will emit into the atmosphere.

He says "if there are scraches its better to a disc pasting", so I still think he means the disc and that he's still referring to resurfacing. :)

WHAT IN THE WORLD!! Do these guys have a death wish or something!!!!!??????

I knew of a guy who had a KE20 and never bought new brake liners and always got them re-lined. I'm pretty sure the drums had to be replaced later because of the poor quality material used to manufacture the lining. Oh the arguments I used to have with him... :)

As mentioned by peugeot407, even clutches are re-lined (I believe they are riveted) and reused. They sure are saving on a replacement clutch, but the flywheel and pressure plate are sure to get a good beating off the non standard material on the clutch.

There's a popular place in Ja-Ela that does both brake and clutch re-lining.

Err hate to be the cheapskate here but three of my lorries,one MG and even the Trooper is running with re-lined pads.So far no harm was done to the drums.Bare in mind these are high mileage and heavy load carrying behemoths.I see no discernible difference in performance between brand new and relined pads to be honest.Obviously the environmental impact is one that I haven't thought of.Ofcourse if you can afford it it is better to go for brand new pads...Now I'm outta here before some video game rally champions start bashing me.

Oh and one more thing,If you're looking to get pads relined, try Rohana Motors at Kelaniya(Near the Tyre Junction).

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

My Alfa has a re-pasted clutch and I have been trying my level best to burn that bitch up so I can replace it with the new one Tho Don was kind enough to hand carry.

It was a local paste job and this is not the first time I have seen or used a re-pasted clutch plate or brake pads. (Not personally, but know enough people who do so, safely)

Interesting. I've known clutchs and break liners being re done, but admittedly this is the first time I've heard about brake pads.

To be honest I'm ok with the idea of re pasted clutches though I assume the springs will lose tension over time. But I'm not as confident with liners, due to my experience with (old) brand new liners which managed to detach themselves on the mirage. But I'm willing to accept the verdict of people who have had experience using them. And I guess if the part is not available or there is a significant price difference between the re pasted one or replacements from a known brand, I'm sure it is an option worth considering.

Interesting. I've known clutchs and break liners being re done, but admittedly this is the first time I've heard about brake pads.

To be honest I'm ok with the idea of re pasted clutches though I assume the springs will lose tension over time. But I'm not as confident with liners, due to my experience with (old) brand new liners which managed to detach themselves on the mirage. But I'm willing to accept the verdict of people who have had experience using them. And I guess if the part is not available or there is a significant price difference between the re pasted one or replacements from a known brand, I'm sure it is an option worth considering.

Yup pads,shoes,plates you name it...I forgot! the TR's front pads too were done by the place I mentioned back in 2013.Found a pic.

nSuBsV0.jpg

On the other hand....

I happened to get the disc pads pasted on a Mondeo sometime ago (because it was a hassle looking for original pads). As I was driving down Nugegoda Kandawatta road few days later, the pasted asbestos thingy just flew off. Luckily it was in the city and not a road where one can drive in high speeds. That was the last time I got disk pads pasted.

An average car's pad set costs about 5000 bucks. For the Cerato, its 3500. Pasting costs about 2000 bucks so it doesnt make much sense to paste them to save a paltry 2000-3000 rupees.

On the other hand....

I happened to get the disc pads pasted on a Mondeo sometime ago (because it was a hassle looking for original pads). As I was driving down Nugegoda Kandawatta road few days later, the pasted asbestos thingy just flew off. Luckily it was in the city and not a road where one can drive in high speeds. That was the last time I got disk pads pasted.

An average car's pad set costs about 5000 bucks. For the Cerato, its 3500. Pasting costs about 2000 bucks so it doesnt make much sense to paste them to save a paltry 2000-3000 rupees.

There are places who do a better job at it than others.As VVTi said the place I go to has this whole baking process.Up untill now never had a single failure.

What you say is true.If it's your family car it's always better to go for new ones.For me it makes sense cos for the lorries when I add everything I get a significant saving.

Edited by MasterDon

i owned a 2003 corolla 121 done 200000km,recently i pasted the front brake discs,if there are scraches its better to a disc pasting its costs me 1600 for both,its better if u can do it as we spend rs10000 on the brake pads.thanks

One and half years old thread has come alive agin.

First of all, who said new brake pads for 121 is Rs.10,000/=? :o I changed mine few days back. It cost me around 3000 - 3500/=.

So your saving was around 1600/= to 2000/=

AFAIK, if re-pasting done properly using high compression and proper mixture and glue, these local pads serve the purpose quite well, in heavy vehicles

Edited by MkX

My opinion is that regardless of how well the bonding has been done, if the friction material used is too abrasive, then the pads will wear out the rotor sooner. That's quite similar to using substandard aftermarket brake pads. So if OEM pads/shoes are available, then it's always safe to use them.

There are places who do a better job at it than others.As VVTi said the place I go to has this whole baking process.Up untill now never had a single failure.

What you say is true.If it's your family car it's always better to go for new ones.For me it makes sense cos for the lorries when I add everything I get a significant saving.

Refurbishing pads should be left for pads that are hard to get or unavailable locally. Not for pads that are available, even at a higher cost.

These are brakes after all.

The reason I agreed to get the Alfa clutch plate refurbished was the info given by the local 'experts' claiming Alfa clutch plates are Unicorns. Later once the deed was done, I managed to source them for 1/3rd the price quoted by the locals.