• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Modifications For Beginners

kelum_wj

Another popular mod house is Nilakto at Boralesgamuwa.Over the years I have found it's owner ,Samarakoon, a very easy man to work with and capable of producing my vision exactly on to any car I presented him with...

Now I don't have to scour the internet and break forum rules posting pics of Nilakto's work cos I have some of their work right here at home with me...

So here's Sol...Bodykitted.new front facelift.18" OZ Fittipaldi rims and rubber...It is ofcourse very slow carrying all this weight around,but it still would be able to beat any performance enthusiast's Maruti 800 like OP's car quite easily...pics of my old cars crx,rx7 and pajero to come...enjoy!

zyL4B7o.jpg

rDjopei.jpg

m09eD4f.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

MD, the make and model of the OPs vehicle is irrelevant for this discussion. People's economic status should not be a barrier in pursuing their interests and participating in autolanka.

I never mentioned anyone's economic status.Those who know me know that I ain't a wealthy guy either.

..It's the hypocrisy of having a pimped Maruti while preaching to others to go for performance mods...Not to mention ridiculing cosmetically modified cars and their owners without any reason.That is why i started posting before this became another self righteous ricer bashing thread like Funniest Moments and Post Whoring.

• Like 4

I never mentioned anyone's economic status.Those who know me know that I ain't a wealthy guy either.

..It's the hypocrisy of having a pimped Maruti while preaching to others to go for performance mods...Not to mention ridiculing cosmetically modified cars and their owners without any reason.That is why i started posting before this became another self righteous ricer bashing thread like Funniest Moments and Post Whoring.

From the little I know, you are bashing a kid, who has bought a car from his own money he's earned himself and indulging in his passion for car modification and sharing things he's found through his own research. I see no problem with that. In fact I encourage it!

Who are we to say a Maruti 800 can't be tastefully modified or its power increased :) I think back in the days when India didn't have much choice this is exactly what kids over there did!

I don't think he has actually ridiculed anybody.

From the little I know, you are bashing a kid, who has bought a car from his own money he's earned himself and indulging in his passion for car modification and sharing things he's found through his own research. I see no problem with that. In fact I encourage it!

Who are we to say a Maruti 800 can't be tastefully modified or its power increased :) I think back in the days when India didn't have much choice this is exactly what kids over there did!

I don't think he has actually ridiculed anybody.

HI Machan..

Maybe maybe OP has fired MD of with his introduction of the thread.

"And also to build a more performance oriented car community rather than one based on fiberglass and huge spoilers"

Unquote

Here one can argue that OP has ridiculed people who modify their cars cosmetically. While i totally appreciate OPs efforts in creating the thread, i too was bit offended by that first sentence which says performance oriented community. It implies that people who modify their cars cosmetically are some sorta retards, while its not really is the case.

Anyhow i just ignored it and focused on greater good here. Maybe he is trying to be a internet hero maybe he is not. For me what really matters is the information provided rather than what its provider wants to be.

On the other hand MD has been here long enough to identify the posers. So maybe he wants to shoot the guy while he is shitting rather than shooting on the pile of crap he left.

Finally, while i can totally understand MDs retaliation here, i still believe OP is not trying to be that "Baby Godzilla" guy (hopefully).

So i'd say, lets cut him some slack & forget about his pimped Maruti for a while.

Cheers Dons!!

• Like 3

HI Machan..

Maybe maybe OP has fired MD of with his introduction of the thread.

"And also to build a more performance oriented car community rather than one based on fiberglass and huge spoilers"

Unquote

Here one can argue that OP has ridiculed people who modify their cars cosmetically. While i totally appreciate OPs efforts in creating the thread, i too was bit offended by that first sentence which says performance oriented community. It implies that people who modify their cars cosmetically are some sorta retards, while its not really is the case.

Anyhow i just ignored it and focused on greater good here. Maybe he is trying to be a internet hero maybe he is not. For me what really matters is the information provided rather than what its provider wants to be.

On the other hand MD has been here long enough to identify the posers. So maybe he wants to shoot the guy while he is shitting rather than shooting on the pile of crap he left.

Finally, while i can totally understand MDs retaliation here, i still believe OP is not trying to be that "Baby Godzilla" guy (hopefully).

So i'd say, lets cut him some slack & forget about his pimped Maruti for a while.

Cheers Dons!!

lol. seems like kalum is a good friend of BabyGodzi's. Machan kalum if so could you please ask harsha the reason he didn't participate for drags? :D

Komi agreed...

Thats why i said what really matters is the information not what its provider wants to be.. or rather whats his ride for that matter..

qoute

people please. let's save our ire for idiots like rotaryhead who come here with ammi's and appi's money and waste our time

unquote

couldnt agree more..

And finally

I've seen Sylvi getting bashed over and over again by moderators especially Peri & Supra for going off the topic but here MD has got himself an immunity it seems.

No cleaner of weiner here to do justice...

p.s cuz no offence to you bro.

• Like 5

I've seen Sylvi getting bashed over and over again by moderators especially Peri & Supra for going off the topic but here MD has got himself an immunity it seems.

I have NOT gone OT.I have questioned OP's credibilty,honesty and hypocrite behaviour,which perfectly I'm allowed to to...And in other posts I've stuck to the topic of car modification.

Please don't compare me to Sylvi sir...I know Sylvi sir personally and respect him,but when he wen't OT it was kinda like 'koheda yanne malle pol'.(but in reality he is a very nice gentleman)

• Like 1

Ok I've been getting so much requests via PMs to do a post on Maruti modififcations...So here goes...

As well all know Maruti is made in india and they are very fast cars.right off the factory.They have a specially strengthened chassis for high speed impacts and EURO NCAP certificate pending certificates and ofcourse Tamil Nadu NCAP certificates.....You can even hit 140kmph taking a bend without worrying about safety for your passengers and other road users.Here's proof courtesy of our OP!

9NP7POH.jpg

Here are some Marutis modified masala style for your enjoyment!... jai ho!

wfiVQ42.jpg

2TwR8LZ.jpg

o77LAYz.jpg

udBEbyr.jpg

QKW7Tq4.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 3

Komi agreed...

Thats why i said what really matters is the information not what its provider wants to be.. or rather whats his ride for that matter..

qoute

people please. let's save our ire for idiots like rotaryhead who come here with ammi's and appi's money and waste our time

unquote

couldnt agree more..

And finally

There really is no cleaning up to be done here is there? MD has asked some questions he feels are valid, OP refuses to engage him in discussion. MD feels that the other side of the modifying equation is not adequately represented so he presents that viewpoint as well. He has been asked to refrain from making personal attacks and he will do so from now on.

So what exactly is the OT here? It's not like this is a topic where a poster has asked a specific question and MD launched into a description of how back in the 1970s he attached an elephant house bottle to his brake master pump and made himself a vacuum tank yada yada like sylvi used to do now is it?

With the greatest of respect trinity, kindly refrain from advising the mods on how to do their jobs.... That is never a good idea.

And MD, let's tone down the personal stuff all right? As you so rightly have pointed out, whatever someone chooses to do with their car is their own business, whether it is a bodykitted civic or a tuned maruti.

are we hypersensitive to that level?

he simply states his intent and that is enough to be taken as "ridicule" and "offensive"? to consider that the fiber community are "mentally handicapped" simply because OP wants to sponsor a different ideal? where are the offenses in that highlighted statement? i have said more offensive things about the homeega civic on facebook, and MD has been very illustrative in pointing that out. now there's true offense. go see that thread on the honda club page.

are we superficial to that level?

MD posts a photo of OP's car, and we are all in a hurry to judge it on its visual merits? without having seen the car in person, or having any idea of what he has done with it? which, having known kelum for some time, i know to be a lot, considering his age, financial status and experience.

are we egotistic to that level?

there are accusations here of him copying and pasting from wiki etc. but i'll have you know, i was never a good hand at mechanics. i learned a lot about tuning the car from OP. yes. i learned stuff i didn't know about honda engines, ECU's gearboxes and suspension from an 18 year old A level student who knew better than me. and as a result i have project R. he was one of my sources of knowledge, if i had let my ego get the better of me, i'd still be driving around in a riced out automatic GSR, deeply unhappy with myself.

are we judgemental to that level?

yes kelum knows godzi well. he was in the car when harsha pulled his famous 2nd gear pull. but does that put him in that lot? i know MD well. hell we've raced go karts and had hissy fits together! but does that mean i am a supporter of all the visual mods he has lauded?

people please. let's save our ire for idiots like rotaryhead who come here with ammi's and appi's money and waste our time. kelum's a good kid. he may be a greenhorn but his knowledge on motor mechanics is on par or superior to most of us. let's give him a chance to say what he has to say.

Great saying Komi....

Guys for everybodys information, the mods have had a discussion about this thread and consensus was there wasn't valid grounds for cleaning the thread up or any other action.

We encourage the OP to continue the discussion and post any more information. I think by definition by posting on a public forum you are opening yourself up to critisism and learning to handle and respond to such critisism is part and parcel of being a forum member. I hope the OP has not been put off by this and I hope he comes out a stronger person.

Having said that we kindly request all members to abide by forum rules and refrain from personal attacks, and advertising. Irrespective of where we live, what we do, how much we earn, what car we drive, I hope we can all discuss together what brings us together under the banner of autolanka.

Since the information that has been posted is correct ,This sort of thread (formatted closer to article) should not have led us to this kind of conversation.

if first two lines describe kelums view on car modification, still MD or any member has right to question that and since this is a open forum ,kelum should reply that

(still we are not in a position to guess kelums intention, MD might have interpreted it incorrectly).

@Supra_natural

what Trinity was trying to say is we could have given high priority to this "format",

then we could have forgot about first two lines and Moderator involvement was needed.

that means MD has right to ask the same question again and again in different ways, but other MDs post can be categorized as OT (my view).

Kelums effort should be appreciated, and the question has been asked by MD should be answered.

Hi Supra

Didn't mean to disrespect you guys nor tried to tell you how to do your job.. I was just expressing how i felt about what happened here..

I was part of the AL community from 2010 and over the past 3 years i've learnt lot of things thanks to people who share their knowledge and experiences here.. Its one thing bashing ignorants like rotary head as komi said but what happened here..i dont know machan..

Anyways as you and MD pointed out one cant really point out that MDs posts are actual OT given the topic is Car modification for beginners...

So from now onwards I'll be a silent observer like i've done in most occasions and enjoy the show from a distance..

Cheers guys!

Edited by trinity
  • Like 1

I would like to thank our moderators for not bowing to intimidation and acting in an unbiased manner.Especially as Kelum_wj and some powerful members are trying desperately to get me banned from Autolanka for speaking the truth and standing up for what is right...Once again thank you!

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Transmission

The transmission system delivers the power of the engine to the wheels. A stock setup on a high powered motor would lead to loss of power ,therefore the correct combination of components should be used based on the application and the conditions. The main components of the transmission system are the gearbox,flywheel,Clutch and pressure plate.

Gearbox

This area needs changing only if one is planing to do a high powered build or else a conversion/ race application. Would be most probably a waste of money on a car with subtle modifications. For those who think of changing the gearbox an LSD box with Dual synchro would be ideal because dual synchro would hold up to high rev shifting and the LSD will make sure that power is generated evenly enabling the owner to keep all the power down to the wheels. For race application a close ratio box would be ideal because it provides better acceleration through the gears but the term defined as "Close" would vary between manufacturers.

Clutch and Pressure plate

The clutch transfers the engine power to the transmission. A slipping clutch would result in loss of power. When considering a clutch upgrade drivability should be taken into account. A Racing clutch would keep the power down when shifting at the redline yet would be a real headache to drive in the stop and go conditions. Also the pedal pressure increases with the use of a performance pressure plate cause a performance pressure plate uses more force to engage the clutch that results in minimal slippage. There are many types of clutches in the market other than the stock replacement ones others are graded as Heavy Duty, Stage 1, Stage 2 or else as Street ,Street/Race and Race. The latter being the more aggressive type and is not advisable to use in a daily driven car. A good Street or heavy duty clutch would be the wiser choice considering the level of traffic we experience daily

Flywheel

A most common fly wheel modification is the lightening of the fly wheel. A lightened fly wheel provides better acceleration due to the decreased moment of inertia. But if its too light it would affect engine braking which is necessary in a daily driven car. Also if its the stock fly wheel that is being lightened the strength of the fly wheel could be hindered by the removal of mass. Also it should be balanced properly once lightened.

• Like 2

Brakes

It's one of the most important systems in the car. A failure in this system could cost lives ,therefore one must make the car stop faster if it's being made to go faster. Most of us only think about the 0-100kmph time but 100-0 time too is very important. The major areas of improvement are the brake pads, calipers and discs.

Brake pads

The brake pads are important in any car equipped with disc brakes. A good quality set of brake pads could make things stop well but a better set would bring things to a halt faster. What I refer to as a better set is a performance set of brake pads. These brake pads use rubber with special qualities used to improve braking. Most of the performance brake pads provide a better bite over the stock ones. Also they are more resistant to heat and will result in lesser chances of brake fading.

Brake discs

The more area of contact means better stopping, therefore bigger discs would result in shorter braking distance. Slotted discs and Drilled discs cools faster because they dissipate heat better than a solid disc but the latter is prone to cracking .Mostly these are for the looks factor.

Brake Caliper

Performance calipers is a good upgrade because they provide more brake force on the disc due to the increased no. of pistons. Normally an upgrade to a 4 pot set would be adequate but would have to go further in race applications.

Rear Disc conversion

This is a great thing to do if parts are available freely. It would improve the stability during hard breaking . The flaw in drum brakes is that they get heated quickly under continuous hard use which would result in the brakes fading. If there is a big difference in brake forces between the front and the rear wheels the car wouldn't feel stable under hard braking.

Braided steel hoses

The braided steel hoses improve the pedal feel which improves the response. Since the expansion due to the increase in temperature of steel is lesser than that of rubber the alteration of fluid pressure is minimal due to the increase in pressure. This improves the response and wouldn't fade even if the fluid temperature increases greatly.

- END-

• Like 2

Coming soon!!! :jumping-smiley-013: :jumping-smiley-004::jumping-smiley-014:

How to modify your Maruti 800 to a "Pocket Rocket" and make yourself believe it's a fast car(but in reality getting your ass handed to you by tuk tuks)

Ok I've been getting so much requests via PMs to do a post on Maruti modififcations...So here goes...

As well all know Maruti is made in india and they are very fast cars.right off the factory.They have a specially strengthened chassis for high speed impacts and EURO NCAP certificate pending certificates and ofcourse Tamil Nadu NCAP certificates.....You can even hit 140kmph taking a bend without worrying about safety for your passengers and other road users.Here's proof courtesy of our OP!

9NP7POH.jpg

Md u said that a tuk tuk can smoke Kelum_wj's car and yet u post a pic of it doing 140...can a tuk tuk do 140?? :speechless-smiley-004:

Md u said that a tuk tuk can smoke Kelum_wj's car and yet u post a pic of it doing 140...can a tuk tuk do 140?? :speechless-smiley-004:

Hmm you're right....I think Kelum's speedometer must be broken.He has put in deffirent rims also so that must have upset the speedo calibration...In reality he was probably doing about 30 kmph....Plus those Maruti 800s a very badly made cars no.

I urge Kelum to get that speedometer fixed ASAP.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

I would like to thank our moderators for not bowing to intimidation and acting in an unbiased manner.Especially as Kelum_wj and some powerful members are trying desperately to get me banned from Autolanka for speaking the truth and standing up for what is right...Once again thank you!

MD, we are hardly the intimidatable type. But for the record, NOBODY has asked for you to be banned, and for that matter any action to be taken against you. The only request/question that was put to clean up the thread as some felt a number of posts on the thread were off topic. These members have made their views perfectly clear on this thread itself.

I don't think you give enough credit to our membership :) They are more grown up than you think.

Hi Supra

Didn't mean to disrespect you guys nor tried to tell you how to do your job.. I was just expressing how i felt about what happened here..

I was part of the AL community from 2010 and over the past 3 years i've learnt lot of things thanks to people who share their knowledge and experiences here.. Its one thing bashing ignorants like rotary head as komi said but what happened here..i dont know machan..

Anyways as you and MD pointed out one cant really point out that MDs posts are actual OT given the topic is Car modification for beginners...

So from now onwards I'll be a silent observer like i've done in most occasions and enjoy the show from a distance..

Cheers guys!

Trinity, you have a right to express your own opinion, and we welcome that. Don't be afraid to do that. We simply chose to respect MDs right to do the same as long as he was willing to keep within the rules of the forum.

As you can understand car modification invokes strong emotions in various individuals. Some people are crazy for it and others deplore it. So you were always going to get a few objectors.