• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Modifications For Beginners

kelum_wj

No trolling cus,everything posted here 100% truthful and honest.

BTW the mutual ass kissing society might recognise one of the cars I posted earlier...Kindly reffered to me by an interested party.You have a traitor in you midst gentlemen...Have a nice day! Looooollll

• Like 4

Fuel System

It is one of the most important systems in an engine.Modifying it could lead to more power and better throttle response at the cost of mileage.The basic components that could be modified are the Fuel pump, Fuel pressure regulator, Fuel rails and the Injectors.

Adjustable Fuel pressure Regulator

This component could be used to adjust the fuel pressure in the fuel lines as required. An increase in pressure would lead to better flow specially at a demanding instance (Full throttle). Also it could be used to alter the drop in fuel pressure incurred when opting for higher capacity injectors. This could solve the delay in throttle response which could result in using higher capacity injectors with the stock fuel pump. Very high pressure is not recommended on stock fuel lines. The forced induction engines should have rising rate fuel pressure regulators to vary with boost. Using it on a NA car would lead to the mixture running rich.

Injectors

The injectors doesn't need changing unless it's being used for a high compression NA motor or else a Forced Induction motor running on high boost. When choosing injectors the spray pattern and the impedance should be taken in to account. The point to change the injectors is when fuel starvage occurs. So it isn't advisable on a daily driven car as the full potential will not be taken use most of the time.

Fuel Rail

A performance fuel rail will lead to better fuel flow and fuel atomization. Will also improve the throttle response and will lead to a gain in full throttle. The interior of a performance fuel rail is smoother than a stock one which improves flow but some fuel rails have a very large difference in internal diameter to that of the stock one. So this could cause a drop in fuel pressure so the internal diameter should be considered when selecting one.

Fuel Pump

An uprated fuel pump will definitely lead to better flow. This this upgrade is required only if you are running an aftermarket engine management with higher capacity injectors. When selecting a fuel pump the flow rate should be taken into consideration. The flow rate is measured in liters per hour. Also some of the aftermarket fuel pumps are noisier than the stock ones this too should be taken into account if its a daily driven car.

Most of the fuel system modifications are interrelated with each other. Therefore one should select the best combination considering the application. In my point of view for a daily driven car a good quality adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be more than enough to meet the demands.

Edited by kelum_wj
  • Like 5

MD, please don't try to distract away from a thread which has been opened in good faith. We understand you are probably as good an expert as any when it comes to restoration and even modification, but it does not mean that others cannot share their own views and experiences.

Please have the same respect for others that we have for you.

MD, please don't try to distract away from a thread which has been opened in good faith. We understand you are probably as good an expert as any when it comes to restoration and even modification, but it does not mean that others cannot share their own views and experiences.

Please have the same respect for others that we have for you.

I always do Don...I just cannot stand people ridiculing other people's tastes and likes and acting in a biggoted manner...Anyway that is why I have started posting the other side of modification just to even out this thread and I shall try to enrich this thread the best I can...Thank you for understanding as always.-MD Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 3

Sri Lanka's premier cosmetic modifier is undoubtedly Dumi##a international.It comes with a rich racing heritage too.Dumi##a's father S.A Amarasiri and my dad even used to race together at Katu...

so please check out these videos from the popular TV program Autovision featuring Dumi##a...His advice is truly priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO-wQtph7Oc

Edited by MasterDon

Handling

"Power is nothing without control". In order to utilize the maximum power the handling department should be improved. The improvements would be based on the requirements,chassis strength and the suspension setup of the car. The basic principle of attaining better handling is lowering the center of gravity which could be done by either lowering springs or Coil overs. The tires too play an important role in handling because they are the things which keep us connected with the road. So lets see what changes could be made

Tires

Tires govern at least 50% of the handling department. Good tires could improve braking, traction, cornering and ride quality. The quality of rubber, thread pattern, traction rating etc should be taken into consideration when choosing a tire. A tire with soft rubber would provide better grip and braking and also would improve handling but it would be prone to punctures and will wear out easily and for tires with hard rubber it's the other way around. Low profile tires would improve the looks and handling at the cost of ride quality therefore they should be chosen wisely

Lowering springs

Lowering springs is the cheapest way to lower the car yet it's not the perfect measure cause the lowering springs reduce the suspension travel and would result in a very stiff bone jarring ride on stock shock absorbers But it would improve cornering and the looks and also will provide more traction during a hard launch.

Coil over kit

Coil over kit consist of sports shock absorber which has adjustable dampening and coil springs with adjustable ride height. This is the perfect setup for someone looking for perfect handling without compromising ride quality greatly. Yet coil overs are very expensive when compared to the lowering springs but would be the ideal setup specially for our roads.

Strut bar

A strut bar could be used to strengthen the chassis and to reduce body roll. This connects the two strut towers which would provide additional reinforcement and will reduce chassis flexing during hard cornering. It also improves the vehicle stability while speeding. There are 3 types of strut bars, they are 2 point, 3 point and 4 point namely. The commonly used ones are the 2 point and the 3 point strut bars. The 3 point provides additional stiffness by connecting the strut tower to the body of the car.

Lower tie bar / Sub frame brace

This is used to connect the two lower arm mounting points. It strengthens the subrame and would result in better cornering. The main disadvantage is the reduction of ground clearance and could lead to damage of the sub frame if it hits and object at a high speed

Suspension bushes

Suspension bushes could be replaced with either polyurethane or hard rubber. Polyurethane could be too stiff for a daily driven car therefore hard rubber is what is recommend. Start off by replacing the front sway bar bushes with Polyurethane / Hard rubber ones if one needs improvement go ahead and replace the rest but not advisable on a daily driven car as it could hinder ride quality.

• Like 4

Another popular car design company is M****d car styling.Although they are relatively new to the mod scene yet they have captured our attention with their radical designs,top notch quality and attention to detail.

Here are some of their work....

SvXZ9s8.jpg

4cdyD8L.jpg

6N8T55Q.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

There is a rather strict no advertising policy, MD.

Ok I'll edit my posts...Thank you

Since i have received services from all the companies I've mentioned.It is sort of a personal reccomendation.You can see on other project threads people raving about certain garages and stereo companies repeatedly and at length...

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 3

The thread does have the title "Car modification for beginers" and to be fair, in the current economic climate, even owning a Maruti is quite an achievement let alone having spare cash to modify it :)

Car modification to be perfectly honest is a matter of beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a little like marmite. It's not my cup of tea, but I have an issue of people spending their own hard money doing whatever they want, even though there is no objective basis for it.

And I personally think there is enough interest to have a discussion, so kudos to Kelum for making an effort irrespective of what his sources are.

OK, straight to the point. No offence to anyone. OP has modified his Maruti 800 and even has posted details of modifications in other forums.

What is the motivation/reason behind the selection of Maruti for the modification? (On a separate note, I read somewhere in the forum that a prominent racing driver is using a Kelisa)

Ok I'll edit my posts...Thank you

Since i have received services from all the companies I've mentioned.It is sort of a personal reccomendation.You can see on other project threads people raving about certain garages and stereo companies repeatedly and at length...

The difference between advertising and Guerilla Marketing is in the wording :P

Something interesting! There's a another thread known as Autolanka Funniest Moments. Generally most of modified cars criticized there to the ground. So there are members with different tastes here!

Appreciating their tastes make less troubles. The world is not so beautiful if it's not mixed with good and bad. Good choice for one may be bad for someone.

Edited by WCW

I admire Kalum for being a gentleman and carrying on what he originally intended to do. Kudos for you man. I don't really care whether you copy it from google or not but end of the day it is interesting to read. We all learn from somewhere and nobody wants to reinvent the wheel.

By the way Kalum seems to have hit a nerve here. I wonder why??

• Like 1

I admire Kalum for being a gentleman and carrying on what he originally intended to do. Kudos for you man. I don't really care whether you copy it from google or not but end of the day it is interesting to read. We all learn from somewhere and nobody wants to reinvent the wheel.

By the way Kalum seems to have hit a nerve here. I wonder why??

Oh no dear...According to my sources I seem to be the one hitting all the nerves.Chaos seems to have broken among the mutual a$$ kissing society....People calling up people trying to make sense of what's going,and people telling people to calm down and not pay attention to me and offering them a shoulder to cry on...All the while wondering how the hell I found out OP has a pimped out Maruti 800.

• Like 5