• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Heating Issue

cefiroA33

Question

Dear All,

This is the second unsolved issue of mine.

This happens few months back.

I ve been driving my Nissan cefiro A33 for a while and honestly couldnt check the coolant level of the radiator due to busy schedule.

But one day when i put my car to a body wash I wanted the guys there to check the coolant level.

Everybody was surprised to note that not a drop of coolant was there at the radiator. I ve been running for a while without coolant in the radiator but the engine was functioning perfect so does the heat indicator which was at the mid point between H and C all the time.

Later during the service A*W informed me that there is a leak in the top tank of the radiator so i replaced the radiator with a new one. Now that the coolant level doesnt drop and I check for the level regulary as well.

But my brothers vehicle which is a Mazda BJ5W recently experienced a coolant leak from the radiator and at one point the engine suddenly stopped when the coolant levels had been reduced and heated up. I presume this is due to the sensors that the engine stops before getting damaged,

My issue is why didnt my engine stopped when my car was running without a drop of coolant? I did a diagnosis test and there were not any errors in the sensors.

My radiator doesnt leak anymore but I need to know if in case the vehicle is experiencing a heat rise, are the operations that are installed to indicate it has been disabled in my car?

guys your expert comments please. Thank you.

5 answers to this question

If your heat indicator was at the midpoint all the time then your engine was not over heating and there is nothing wrong with it. Even though you say there was not a drop of coolant in the radiator, there must have been sufficient coolant left in the path to do its job although you could not see it from the top. As for your comparison of Cefiro with a Mazda BJ5W, of course the bigger engine of Cefiro is more tolerant and under goes less stress when used for the same purpose (eg city driving), thus less likely to boil.

• Like 1

If your heat indicator was at the midpoint all the time then your engine was not over heating and there is nothing wrong with it. Even though you say there was not a drop of coolant in the radiator, there must have been sufficient coolant left in the path to do its job although you could not see it from the top. As for your comparison of Cefiro with a Mazda BJ5W, of course the bigger engine of Cefiro is more tolerant and under goes less stress when used for the same purpose (eg city driving), thus less likely to boil.

once I've experienced following with a friend's allion. Car stalled and he thought the battery is weak and asked for my help for a jump start. But when the engine was running I heard typical signs of overheating (engine was under stress and even ignition knock could be heard) still the gauge was at middle point perfectly. Checked the water level to see it was empty and as we added water, it boiled and lots of steam came out before it settled down. which means even to steam there were no water earlier. when there were water in the system, the gauge showed temp.

lesson to learn, study the type of the sensor you got (whether it's sending temperature from the block or from water) if it's from water, then if there's no water for the sensor to "sense" the temperature, reading will be inaccurate.

• Like 3

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="harshansenadhir" data-cid="247222" data-time="1378820974"><p>

<br />

once I've experienced following with a friend's allion. Car stalled and he thought the battery is weak and asked for my help for a jump start. But when the engine was running I heard typical signs of overheating (engine was under stress and even ignition knock could be heard) still the gauge was at middle point perfectly. Checked the water level to see it was empty and as we added water, it boiled and lots of steam came out before it settled down. which means even to steam there were no water earlier. when there were water in the system, the gauge showed temp.<br />

<br />

lesson to learn, study the type of the sensor you got (whether it's sending temperature from the block or from water) if it's from water, then if there's no water for the sensor to "sense" the temperature, reading will be inaccurate.</p></blockquote>as u guys know how this is related to nissan vanettec22 LD20 engine. this engine indicate temp from its engine bay or from the water whic radiator holds ?

once I've experienced following with a friend's allion. Car stalled and he thought the battery is weak and asked for my help for a jump start. But when the engine was running I heard typical signs of overheating (engine was under stress and even ignition knock could be heard) still the gauge was at middle point perfectly. Checked the water level to see it was empty and as we added water, it boiled and lots of steam came out before it settled down. which means even to steam there were no water earlier. when there were water in the system, the gauge showed temp.

lesson to learn, study the type of the sensor you got (whether it's sending temperature from the block or from water) if it's from water, then if there's no water for the sensor to "sense" the temperature, reading will be inaccurate.

yep most modern cars have ECT sensor for the engine temp reading. It's simply measuring the coolant temp and if the sensor isn't surrounded with coolant, it can't give a proper reading.

Some diesels including mine have a heat reading off the block itself and not from ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor

If you check around your engine bay, you can spot this pretty easily.

• Like 1