• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Being a new Leaf owner for the last month I like to share my experience.

Mine is a 2015 Leaf Acenta (Uk version)

The electricity bill just came in for the last month. The additional units consumed is 160 and the car has done approximately 800km in the first month. (did all the charging at home) So the additional bill was around 6600/-.so running cost is roughly 8 rupees per Km which is not bad considering the electricity tariffs but bit less economical than a hybrid.

The biggest drawback is the range. When fully charged to 100% ( did only once just to confirm) it shows the estimated range as 160Km. (didn't reset the trip history so it calculated according to the present driving conditions). Was planing to make a trip to Kandy but still in doubt. (Anyways need to have a backup plan just in case the battery runs out) although there are about two charging stations (Sockets) available on the way somewhere near to Kegalle. But just to get a 15% charge you need to keep it plugged in for one hour.

But driving in the city is an absolute joy. If you turn off Eco mode the pulling power is immense which makes driving in stop and go traffic fun. But the heat during daytime takes a toll on the battery.

The car is well equipped with all the regular bells and whistles. One reason to go for the UK version is that you can use all of the features since the displays is in English. Which is one excuse for the vendor to have a premium price. Only the navigation is useless since maps for this region is not installed.

Edited by rover
  • Like 1

I dont normally go with with seasonal fads like the axio, allion, pius and aqua crazes.. but the leaf seems to be quite something. The design isnt one you'll droll over, but you can grow to love it i guess....

I should recommend one to my dad. He installed solar panels at home and says the electricity tariff's gone down quite a bit. This might compliment the household energy use nicely.

Being a new Leaf owner for the last month I like to share my experience.

Mine is a 2015 Leaf Acenta (Uk version)

The electricity bill just came in for the last month. The additional units consumed is 160 and the car has done approximately 800km in the first month. (did all the charging at home) So the additional bill was around 6600/-.so running cost is roughly 8 rupees per Km which is not bad considering the electricity tariffs but bit less economical than a hybrid.

The biggest drawback is the range. When fully charged to 100% ( did only once just to confirm) it shows the estimated range as 160Km. (didn't reset the trip history so it calculated according to the present driving conditions). Was planing to make a trip to Kandy but still in doubt. (Anyways need to have a backup plan just in case the battery runs out) although there are about two charging stations (Sockets) available on the way somewhere near to Kegalle. But just to get a 15% charge you need to keep it plugged in for one hour.

But driving in the city is an absolute joy. If you turn off Eco mode the pulling power is immense which makes driving in stop and go traffic fun. But the heat during daytime takes a toll on the battery.

The car is well equipped with all the regular bells and whistles. One reason to go for the UK version is that you can use all of the features since the displays is in English. Which is one excuse for the vendor to have a premium price. Only the navigation is useless since maps for this region is not installed.

Can make it to kandy machan, I do it on a regular basis,

4 passengers and and aircon, in the night, and shoot up kadugannawa as well and have 30% charge spare when I reach the Peradeniya Army Memorial Round about. but 100% charged of course from Colombo, multiple stops

Infact I've never charged the car in any premises than my own, It has never seen a fast charge either, I gotta take it to a fast charger one of these days to see if the system atleast works.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

I dont normally go with with seasonal fads like the axio, allion, pius and aqua crazes.. but the leaf seems to be quite something. The design isnt one you'll droll over, but you can grow to love it i guess....

I should recommend one to my dad. He installed solar panels at home and says the electricity tariff's gone down quite a bit. This might compliment the household energy use nicely.

My dads awaiting a solar kit as well, the whole eco craze has taken over him, he pretty much mocks my hilux now saying the exhaust is too loud, I bring mud into the garage and the fumes dirty the outer paintwork in the house. :speechless-smiley-004:

Edited by tiv

Can make it to kandy machan, I do it on a regular basis,

4 passengers and and aircon, in the night, and shoot up kadugannawa as well and have 30% charge spare when I reach the Peradeniya Army Memorial Round about. but 100% charged of course from Colombo, multiple stops

Infact I've never charged the car in any premises than my own, It has never seen a fast charge either, I gotta take it to a fast charger one of these days to see if the system atleast works.

When you charge to 100% what is the estimated range in your car?. Since mine has a 80kw motor compared with the 70Kw in the Jap version I assume the range is somewhat lower. When parked side by side there's no visible difference in size and couldn't find any reviews comparing the Uk and Japanese versions so I'm not sure if one of them is heavier than the other.

So far there are only two fast charging stations in Colombo and Galle afaik. The infrastructure was nicely coming up for Ev's until the recent tax hikes which might affect their growth.

• Like 1

The UK version is heavier, thus you have the bigger motor and the 6.6kW charger, my range depends on my driving entirely mate, on a lazy day heavy to moderate traffic I top off around 150km, whereas on the same conditions if I tend to push it a bit I land 130km, long distance, relaxed driving style with passengers cargo and AC it can do 180km, it will top 200 easy on the highway on cruise control, as usage is minimal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The UK version is heavier, thus you have the bigger motor and the 6.6kW charger, my range depends on my driving entirely mate, on a lazy day heavy to moderate traffic I top off around 150km, whereas on the same conditions if I tend to push it a bit I land 130km, long distance, relaxed driving style with passengers cargo and AC it can do 180km, it will top 200 easy on the highway on cruise control, as usage is minimal.

tiv mate, I finally managed to buy one :) 2014 JDM, X Grade, Jet black with black interior, millage 16000 km, came with da SD card and the navigation panel is working just fine. (finding in and around the settings is a breeze thanks to Google translate)

Getting to know my new toy these days, any idea on how to change the language to English in the dashboard? What is the difference between D Eco and B Eco modes?

How often do we need to do the services?

Thanks a lot :)

tiv mate, I finally managed to buy one :) 2014 JDM, X Grade, Jet black with black interior, millage 16000 km, came with da SD card and the navigation panel is working just fine. (finding in and around the settings is a breeze thanks to Google translate)

Getting to know my new toy these days, any idea on how to change the language to English in the dashboard? What is the difference between D Eco and B Eco modes?

How often do we need to do the services?

Thanks a lot :)

Theres a chap in Negombo, He converts the dashboard for 5000/-

What ECO does is, it reduces the accelerator sensitivity and increases the Regen capability say by 40%

When in D Regen capability is roughly about 10% without ECO on

When in D with ECO on,You get regen roughly about 50%

When in B mode, there is aggressive regen simulating engine braking, thereby giving you upto 100% of regen capability

% figures were used just to give you an idea

Question is, where do you start from?

Also, any updates on using the charging stations?

I 've started from Mount, Maradana and Negomb, and have made it easily, have never plugged it to any form of charger other than the one at my premises

The Green Frontiers lot are planning a charger halfway, but I fear given the number of cars hoarding in to the island, this charger will become a place to lag for ages,

• Like 1

The Green Frontiers lot are planning a charger halfway, but I fear given the number of cars hoarding in to the island, this charger will become a place to lag for ages,

Yeah, that seems to be a recurring theme. Worst case might have to spend a few hours to get on the charger, in addition to the hours spent charging. Hopefully there will be a decent amount of charging outlets per station.

Arpico was supposed to install chargers, wonder what happened to that?

And is there any place that offers induction charging in SL?

There's a mobile app called ChargeNet. According to that there are charging sockets available spread throughout the country. Even far way places like Kataragama. But the problem is the longer charging time. Unless you plug in overnight.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=chargenet%20sri%20lankan

So far there aren't any induction charging available in SL.

Edited by rover

Yeah, that seems to be a recurring theme. Worst case might have to spend a few hours to get on the charger, in addition to the hours spent charging. Hopefully there will be a decent amount of charging outlets per station.

Arpico was supposed to install chargers, wonder what happened to that?

And is there any place that offers induction charging in SL?

AFaik there is no induction charger locally,

however Arpico has there own fleet of Leafs that drop shoppers home for a nominal fee. You can see them drivers racing the cars on the way back, notably galle road in the evening lol.

There's a mobile app called ChargeNet. According to that there are charging sockets available spread throughout the country. Even far way places like Kataragama. But the problem is the longer charging time. Unless you plug in overnight.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=chargenet%20sri%20lankan

So far there aren't any induction charging available in SL.

Many apps coming in, will take a while to form a standard.

Update-

There is a mobile app named "plugshare" for iOS and Android platforms, www.plugshare.com

A US Based entity, however one can log in and update charging stations along the way. Our local members have done their part making it the most up-to date Ev charger map for Sri Lanka for now, do take a look, the website emulates the app on PC if you have Gps

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

Update-

There is a mobile app named "plugshare" for iOS and Android platforms, www.plugshare.com

A US Based entity, however one can log in and update charging stations along the way. Our local members have done their part making it the most up-to date Ev charger map for Sri Lanka for now, do take a look, the website emulates the app on PC if you have Gps

Great to see so many charging stations across the country already. And the community effort displaying residential stations should be commended.

Great to see so many charging stations across the country already. And the community effort displaying residential stations should be commended.

What do you mean by residential stations? Does this mean if I raise the coin and buy Nissan Leaf or other EV, I can go around knocking on doors with a lead in hand asking for a boost if needed?

What do you mean by residential stations? Does this mean if I raise the coin and buy Nissan Leaf or other EV, I can go around knocking on doors with a lead in hand asking for a boost if needed?

Correct. You will be asked to pay for it of course. I'm not sure how consistent the prices are though.

You can basically call the resident in advance and check availability/price if you feel like the car will run out of juice before it reaches the destination, and if no public stations are within range.

Correct. You will be asked to pay for it of course. I'm not sure how consistent the prices are though.

You can basically call the resident in advance and check availability/price if you feel like the car will run out of juice before it reaches the destination, and if no public stations are within range.

What about offering certain value added services to the potential customers at these places given the fact it takes a considerable time to charge an EV. :sport-smiley-004:

• Like 1

What about offering certain value added services to the potential customers at these places given the fact it takes a considerable time to charge an EV. :sport-smiley-004:

"Hello, is your charging station available from 6 to 8pm?.... Great! That's 1 Nissan Leaf on the charger, 2 plain teas and 1 plate of whatever you are having for dinner. Thanks!" :D

"Hello, is your charging station available from 6 to 8pm?.... Great! That's 1 Nissan Leaf on the charger, 2 plain teas and 1 plate of whatever you are having for dinner. Thanks!" :D

"....and btw what's your wifi password?"

This is news to me. Interesting concept. Price is an interesting point too, seeing as to how electricity is charged depending on usage of units at the CEB. Anyway, it'll basically be ask what you want, the guy wouldn't be calling unless options were pretty limited.

• 2 months later...

i hope to buy nissan leaf. I tried to find some information from this site, but i couldn't find what i want. So pls help me on this.

i hope to spend 3-3.5M for a car. i am not daily runner. Is it worth to buy a leaf instead of petrol car?

Is there any disadvantages with leaf other than limited km for one charge?

Pls be kind to help me

i hope to buy nissan leaf. I tried to find some information from this site, but i couldn't find what i want. So pls help me on this.

i hope to spend 3-3.5M for a car. i am not daily runner. Is it worth to buy a leaf instead of petrol car?

Is there any disadvantages with leaf other than limited km for one charge?

Â

Pls be kind to help me

Since you say you're not a daily runner ,let's clarify somethings first.

What Do you expect from buying an electric vehicle rather than a gasoline (or a hybrid ) for that budget?

How many kms do you travel daily?(at least on the days you do)

Do you have another gasoline vehicle? (In case for long trips)

Edited by sathyajithj99